Larry David Urinates on Jesus Picture
That is why I separated my remarks Seinfelds and Curb Your Enthusiasm, are stupid, venal, and depraved, while the urinating is the blasphemy.
That's all I said. It's for you to decide to watch or not.
tim
Did anyone even see the episode? I saw it, and I thought it was hilarious.
Here’s what happened…

Larry David is taking medication to help him pee better and it causes him to pee so forcefully that it causes a strong backsplash. Well it so happens that this one lady he visits happens to have a picture of Jesus right above the toilet (a strange spot) and so when Larry goes to pee some of the backsplash accidently hits the picture. Larry immediately feels bad but because of his narcissism and his germophobia he can't bring himself to wipe it off.

The next morning the house owners see the splash and because the house is only occupied by women and because the picture is far enough from the toilet, they believe it to be a miraculous tear. These two ladies organize a prayer tour but in the end Larry ends up confessing and the ladies scold him for the backsplash.

So... I don't see what's so wrong. No one pees on Jesus on purpouse, and what is so funny is how Larry decides to handle this accidental backsplash. The humour is not anti-Chrstian, instead the humour centres on Larry's poor confrontation skills and his unusual personality. It also makes fun of the stories you hear about apparitions appearing in the most bizarre places.

Larry David is one of my favourite comedians, I love curb your enthusiasm, I love the writting and I can't wait for this week's new episode.

(10-31-2009, 02:33 PM)Walty Wrote: I don't think Seinfeld is inherently blasphemous.  I'll continue to watch it.
Neither is curb your enthusiasm. I don't know if you've seen the episode, but I suggest you watch it - it's no where near as bad as that article makes it seem. In fact, I would say that the article is quite malicious.

This really makes me wonder if guys like Donahue are trying to be offended.
(10-31-2009, 11:12 PM)Fidelis Wrote:
(10-31-2009, 02:33 PM)Walty Wrote: I don't think Seinfeld is inherently blasphemous.  I'll continue to watch it.
Neither is curb your enthusiasm. I don't know if you've seen the episode, but I suggest you watch it - it's no where near as bad as that article makes it seem. In fact, I would say that the article is quite malicious.

This really makes me wonder if guys like Donahue are trying to be offended.

From what you said This seems like the article is utter crap. I thought Larry just pissed on the painting. I was upset because I actually really like that show but I dont have HBO I only see them when they come out on DVD so I didnt know. The article must just be like you said trying to cause problems.
(10-31-2009, 10:55 PM)Fidelis Wrote: Did anyone even see the episode? I saw it, and I thought it was hilarious.
Here’s what happened…

Larry David is taking medication to help him pee better and it causes him to pee so forcefully that it causes a strong backsplash. Well it so happens that this one lady he visits happens to have a picture of Jesus right above the toilet (a strange spot) and so when Larry goes to pee some of the backsplash accidently hits the picture. Larry immediately feels bad but because of his narcissism and his germophobia he can't bring himself to wipe it off.

The next morning the house owners see the splash and because the house is only occupied by women and because the picture is far enough from the toilet, they believe it to be a miraculous tear. These two ladies organize a prayer tour but in the end Larry ends up confessing and the ladies scold him for the backsplash.

So... I don't see what's so wrong. No one pees on Jesus on purpouse, and what is so funny is how Larry decides to handle this accidental backsplash. The humour is not anti-Chrstian, instead the humour centres on Larry's poor confrontation skills and his unusual personality. It also makes fun of the stories you hear about apparitions appearing in the most bizarre places.

Larry David is one of my favourite comedians, I love curb your enthusiasm, I love the writting and I can't wait for this week's new episode.

Bullshit! So it's funny that a Jew pisses on Christ? Let's see the chickenshit pull a similar show using the 'Prophet'! He hasn;t got the balls !
(11-01-2009, 05:43 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(10-31-2009, 10:55 PM)Fidelis Wrote: Did anyone even see the episode? I saw it, and I thought it was hilarious.
Here’s what happened…

Bullshit! So it's funny that a Jew pisses on Christ? Let's see the chickenshit pull a similar show using the 'Prophet'! He hasn;t got the balls !
lol... just watch the episode, he doesn't pee on Jesus, nor is it intended to make fun of Christians. If anything, it's Larry David who makes fun of himself in the end of the episode.
Here’s what happened…

Firstly, Larry David, if he was going to, wouldn't have qualms with taking a piss on anything, be it Moses, or Abraham, or whomever.  He isn't a Jew religiously.  How many "hollywood jews" are practicing?

And secondly, does it really make a difference if he is a Jew or not?  From what FIdelis has said, it at least seems like this has been blown up into something it's not, but even if the article was 100% accurate does it make a difference whether it's a Jew?
(11-01-2009, 10:41 AM)Fidelis Wrote:
Here’s what happened…

lol... just watch the episode, he doesn't pee on Jesus, nor is it intended to make fun of Christians. If anything, it's Larry David who makes fun of himself in the end of the episode.

how can you argue that the episode is not intended to make fun of Christians?  he didn't accidentally piss on a picture of moses or martin luther king, jr., hanging above the toilet or a koran left on the back of the toilet tank, did he?  if the plot had involved any of those, everyone in the media would be criticizing it and he'd probably be getting death threats as well, especially if a koran was involved.  if there'd been a picture of mohammed, which no muslim would own, but someone else might, it would be an even bigger scandal, as we saw with the riots concerning the danish cartoons.  yeah, let's see a 'hilarious' episode where he pisses on one of the danish cartoons of 'the prophet' and/or a copy of the koran.

but it's only pissing on Christ so it's OK. . .  yeah, i get it that he didn't deliberately piss on Christ but he got piss on the picture of Christ and was too much of a wimp to clean it off, even though it came out of his body.  then the women in the house thought the picture was crying, so that, as you said "It also makes fun of the stories you hear about apparitions appearing in the most bizarre places."  those stories are almost always making fun of Catholics, not protestants.

if you believe in Jesus as your Saviour and are a faithful Catholic, i can't see how you could find this episode 'hilarious.'  it's offensive in many ways, one of them being the idea that we should see anyone taking care of toilet functions on tv.  talk about catering to the lowest common denominator. . .
(10-31-2009, 10:55 PM)Fidelis Wrote: So... I don't see what's so wrong. No one pees on Jesus on purpouse

OHHHHHH, that makes all the difference.....it wasn't on PURPOSE.

Um, hello?  This is a TV show.  Somebody had to think this up ahead of time, write it down, script the scene, build the set, provide the props, have the actors rehearse, check the lighting, and film the shot.

In other words, whether it's "accidental" or not in the context of the show, it's still a deliberate, planned offense, calculated to shock.

But, before we even follow that train of thought, I can't believe that on a Catholic forum, we even have to explain WHY urinating on a picture of Our Savior is offensive........am I on USCCB by accident?

too true.  the screenwriters wrote this into the plot on purpose for the enjoyment of atheists.