Larry David Urinates on Jesus Picture
(11-03-2009, 06:35 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Walty I'm serious
I actually don't find pissing on CHRIST funny
I don't

That's fine.  I understand that.  I don't either and I think I would find some offense even if it wasn't as bad as it originally sounded, but you've really got to be careful about telling people they aren't Catholic and calling them a coward. 
Curb You Enthusiasm can be funny when it isn't an occasion of sin to watch it. I haven't seen this episode, but I saw an episode a few years back involving a troupe of actors who would perform the Nativity on people's lawns, and I squirmed in my seat when Larry David's character was making sexual references to Mary. We the audience are supposed to look at at him as if he's an idiot to take the sting off what he's doing. Sorry, that doesn't work.
(11-03-2009, 06:30 PM)JonW Wrote: I'm not interested in calling names, but if as a Catholic you ONLY find the scene funny, and not a little offensive, you MIGHT need to pray a little about this and talk to a priest or spiritual director about it.  For you, this isn't a matter of defending or not defending the Faith.  It might be a problem with your faith in Christ.  This is just a speculative observation from a fellow Catholic.  God bless you, and I will be praying for you.
I should clarify that I didn't find it only funny, I also found that it made me uneasy and I did have concerns. But I was able to see the humor and it made me laugh and I know my reasons for laughing were not sinful.
(11-03-2009, 04:11 PM)Fidelis Wrote: It wasn't in the best taste, sure. It was offensive, sure, but a lot of enjoyable humor is offensive. But is it part of some greater entertainment conspiracy to degrade Catholics? No. And you're crazy if you think it amounts to that. That's all that needs to be said about that.

At the end of the day you don't have to subscribe to HBO if you don't like it. But for those Catholics who do like the humor of Larry David and Seinfeld I suggest you watch the episode before you accept that exaggerated article.
(11-02-2009, 08:55 PM)alaric Wrote: Pee, fart jokes, excrement, etc........ Why are these Jewish comedians obsessed with bodily fluids in their schticks?
Why am I not surprised that a Nazi apologist also happens to be a racist? Your comment was way more offensive than anything that happened in that episode.
Quote:Allah's prophet
The overwhelming majority of Muslims don't depict Allah's prophet in pictures.
Care to elaborate on your little accusations.....?

Mr Jew-sympathizer and anti-Christ apologist.

You know what? Piss on your HBO and Christ mocking comedy, you're very presence on a Catholic forum and Judiac-aplogia is more offensive than any "pro-nazi' and "bigotry that I've read here in a while.

You don't even know "racism" is, much less a "nazi".

You sound like a typical Zionist lemming, keep watching the idiot-box and stay off trad forums.....we wouldn't to "curb your enthusiasm".

Why don't your hero Larry David make an episode about accidentally pissing on a Koran so we could all get a big chuckle out of it.

Or Silverman tell jokes about Mohamed.

Do I see a double-standard here. or are they just plain chickensh*t of Muslims.

You know the answer to that one.
LOL
Sip sip
I can't believe how out of hand this has gotten.  This kind of stuff is a disgrace to Fisheaters and Traditional Catholicism.
Walty
The disgrace is some here who claim to be catholics actually find pissing on CHRIST funny!
I can't belive were having this conversation!
ITS NOT FUNNY!
(11-05-2009, 02:44 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Walty
The disgrace is some here who claim to be catholics actually find pissing on CHRIST funny!
ITS NOT FUNNY!

I'm not saying I disagree, but two things are obvious to me...

1) What the individual who found it funny said is not what people on here are making it out to be.  He fully acknowledged that he did see why it would be and could taken as offensive.  In his opinion, however, he did not feel that it was done in a blasphemous way and thus there is no outrage for him to find it funny.  Now, I think it is important to note that it seems to me that none of the people leveling all of these accusations have seen the video themselves.
2) Even if it is objectively offensive and this individual fails to recognize it then say a prayer for him and move on.  It doesn't make him less Catholic.  Do you really think that he would intentionally find something blasphemous funny?  Do you think this is how Christ would intend us to deal with this issue?  Calling names is juvenile and uncharitable.  If you feel so passionately that it is blasphemous then you should seek to thoughtfully change his mind.  Calling him names is not only mean-spirited, but it's antithetical to what some of you are trying to achieve.
Jesus is beautiful.  He wouldn't even want us to put a photo of Larry David in our own toilets so that we could return the insult.
(11-05-2009, 03:05 PM)Walty Wrote:
(11-05-2009, 02:44 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Walty
ITS NOT FUNNY!

I'm not saying I disagree, but two things are obvious to me...

1) What the individual who found it funny said is not what people on here are making it out to be.  He fully acknowledged that he did see why it would be and could taken as offensive.  In his opinion, however, he did not feel that it was done in a blasphemous way and thus there is no outrage for him to find it funny.  Now, I think it is important to note that it seems to me that none of the people leveling all of these accusations have seen the video themselves.
2) Even if it is objectively offensive and this individual fails to recognize it then say a prayer for him and move on.  It doesn't make him less Catholic.  Do you really think that he would intentionally find something blasphemous funny?  Do you think this is how Christ would intend us to deal with this issue?  Calling names is juvenile and uncharitable.  If you feel so passionately that it is blasphemous then you should seek to thoughtfully change his mind.  Calling him names is not only mean-spirited, but it's antithetical to what some of you are trying to achieve.
Calling who names?

Unless you mean labels like Nazi and Racist.

Your such a liberal sometimes Walty, but there are some of us hanging around here who aren't going to take the blasphemy of our Lord so lightly and hide behind their religion or in the name of "comedy".

Calling names is one thing, naming Christ's enemies is another.

Why can't men just call things for what it is these days.