Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian
(10-30-2009, 03:23 PM)AlanF Wrote:
(10-30-2009, 02:42 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: How does L'Osservatore Romano equal "the Vatican"?

That's a problem all the secular press seems to have, whether it's L'Osservatore Romano or a press release from Fr. Lombardi or an Apostolic Constitution from the Pope, it's all just "The Vatican" to them.

This is absolutely true - I have seen time and time again when L'Osservatore Romano or even just some bishop or clergyman in Rome state something, the media automatically states that it comes from the "Vatican."  The ONLY exception is that if it has something to actually do with true Catholicism - then the media states that whoever made the traditional comment is a dissenter and not favored by "Rome" or "the Vatican."  This is why the world, even so-called "Catholics," have absolutely NO idea where the Church truly stands on certain subjects or even what she infallibly teaches concerning defined doctrine.

...what a sad world we live in.
(10-30-2009, 03:54 PM)Nic Wrote:
(10-30-2009, 02:42 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: How does L'Osservatore Romano equal "the Vatican"?

That's a problem all the secular press seems to have, whether it's L'Osservatore Romano or a press release from Fr. Lombardi or an Apostolic Constitution from the Pope, it's all just "The Vatican" to them.

This is absolutely true - I have seen time and time again when L'Osservatore Romano or even just some bishop or clergyman in Rome state something, the media automatically states that it comes from the "Vatican."  The ONLY exception is that if it has something to actually do with true Catholicism - then the media states that whoever made the traditional comment is a dissenter and not favored by "Rome" or "the Vatican."  This is why the world, even so-called "Catholics," have absolutely NO idea where the Church truly stands on certain subjects or even what she infallibly teaches concerning defined doctrine.

Indeed. It is a world where almost all of these people are guilty of confirmation biases beyond measure. They read only those sources which support their preconceived notions, interpret all opposing sources in a way consistent with these preconceived notions, jump to erroneous conclusions, hold unsubstantiated rumors as fact, and label the teachings of the Church as the source of any negative Catholic activity.
(10-30-2009, 04:11 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:

Indeed. It is a world where almost all of these people are guilty of confirmation biases beyond measure. They read only those sources which support their preconceived notions, interpret all opposing sources in a way consistent with these preconceived notions, jump to erroneous conclusions, hold unsubstantiated rumors as fact, and label the teachings of the Church as the source of any negative Catholic activity.

The Remnant did an article about this phenomenon after the SSPX ordinations in June.

SSPX Ordinations and the Reign of “the Vatican”
(10-30-2009, 04:58 PM)AlanF Wrote:
(10-30-2009, 04:11 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:

The Remnant did an article about this phenomenon after the SSPX ordinations in June.

SSPX Ordinations and the Reign of “the Vatican”

Interesting. Thank you!
Anyway, "Vatican" or not, it raises a good point. Modern "Hallowe'en" is mostly little more than the neo-pagan nonsense with forms modern secular culture. Especially this "trick or treating" in which innocent people are forced to turn over their goods or face a "trick", most likely having to get dried egg off their house in the morning; which in fact is a perversion of a medieval Christian tradition when the poor used to ask for food in return for prayers for their dead, called "Souling."
(10-30-2009, 05:08 PM)AlanF Wrote: Anyway, "Vatican" or not, it raises a good point. Modern "Hallowe'en" is mostly little more than the neo-pagan nonsense with forms modern secular culture. Especially this "trick or treating" in which innocent people are forced to turn over their goods or face a "trick", most likely having to get dried egg off their house in the morning; which in fact is a perversion of a medieval Christian tradition when the poor used to ask for food in return for prayers for their dead, called "Souling."

Yes, it has a Christian origin, but, like everything else in America, has been perverted - either secularized or paganized. When I was a little trick 'r treater (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away), my siblings and I used to dress up as saints or other "holy souls" (such as a priest or a "blessed") and go from house to house. People used to say, "And who are you supposed to be?" We would always tell them the name of the saint; some would just give you a blank stare as if to say, "Who on earth is that?" (of course, the answer would be "no one.") But there were some who would express joy at seeing little children dressed as saints going from door in continuity with the Christian tradition of "souling".

This can still be done. A "beggar" can say a prayer for the family of every soul who gives him/her "treat". The only difference is that the beggar is receiving candy instead of substantial food, and the person giving the treat doesn't know s/he is receiving prayers from the recipient. 
Bah. I love halloween.
(10-30-2009, 06:05 PM)anthony Wrote: Bah. I love halloween.

Some people like to steal, too, but...
I just leave my gigantic weimaraner in the den, she scares off the children!
I think the most spiritual danger on Halloween comes from young people thinking its appropriate to wear less clothes than usual.  I'd be much more worried about that than from letting your kid throw a sheet on his head to get candy.