Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian
What bugs me isn't so much the constumes that kids put on (my foster-daughter understands modesty quite well and Colorado is cold enough to guarantee more clothing than elsewhere) but the movies.  I find the horror films disturbing and don't understand why anyone would want to watch them.

On a cute note: our girl is dressing up as a nun today!  Given that she's Lutheran and I've been praying that she'd become more open to our faith, this is a good thing!  :)
(10-30-2009, 07:44 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: What bugs me isn't so much the constumes that kids put on (my foster-daughter understands modesty quite well and Colorado is cold enough to guarantee more clothing than elsewhere) but the movies.  I find the horror films disturbing and don't understand why anyone would want to watch them.

On a cute note: our girl is dressing up as a nun today!  Given that she's Lutheran and I've been praying that she'd become more open to our faith, this is a good thing!   :)

Those are some interesting thoughts, Fontevrault. I am a horror movie connoisseur myself, so I am interested in what you have to say. Would you mind sharing your perspective and thoughts from a moral standpoint?
(10-30-2009, 02:10 PM)AlanF Wrote: The Bishop of Siguenza-Guadalajara, Jose Sanchez, said there was a risk that Halloween could "replace Christian customs like devotion to saints and praying for the dead."
[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing:

I think the Vatican II New Religion did that well enough without halloween. In my city the only Saints mentioned from the pulpit on All saints day are Ghandi and Martin Luther King jr. As for praying for the dead, well according to some local Priestly experts we dont do that anymore.
Its all in how you do it if you watch old time horror films and take your kids trick or treating there is no problem in it. If your one of those freaks that dresses up like the devil when your 42 then yeah there's a problem. How is this report "THE VATICAN" anyway. I havent heard anything from the Pope just a few Bishops and a liturgical expert named "Joan" .

Not interested.
Turns out my Mormon, very muscular, ex-Army principle dressed up as a nun today at school for Halloween...I bet my life he wouldn't have had the balls to don a burqa for the same stunt!  >:(
Quote:Parents should "be aware of this and try to direct the meaning of the feast towards wholesomeness and beauty rather than terror, fear and death," said Father Canals, a member of a Spanish commission on church rites.

What does he think Hell will be like, a picnic?  I'm tired of pansy asses trying to sugar coat reality.  And reality is that most people will end up in the flames of Hell or Purgatory. Fear is the start of the spiritual life.  Halloween is a great opportunity to reflect on these things.  Embrace the horror people.    
(10-30-2009, 08:00 PM)PeterII Wrote:
Quote:Parents should "be aware of this and try to direct the meaning of the feast towards wholesomeness and beauty rather than terror, fear and death," said Father Canals, a member of a Spanish commission on church rites.

What does he think Hell will be like, a picnic?  I'm tired of pansy asses trying to sugar coat reality.  And reality is that most people will end up in the flames of Hell or Purgatory. Fear is the start of the spiritual life.  Halloween is a great opportunity to reflect on these things.  Embrace the horror people.    

It is a good time to meditate on Purgatory as well as your life's current trajectory.
(10-30-2009, 08:00 PM)PeterII Wrote:

Exactly.
We should not let our feasts and folklore become simply abandoned because others want to pervert them. If Hallowe'en is ours, it's ours. FE has a good article on how it can be used to remind our kids about the reality of hell and devils, and on the triumph of the saints. I say yay for All Hallows Eve, and scare the devil out of them. And Mr. Canals is not the Vatican or anyone of authority over me, so he can stuff it.

And Mr. Canals and OR should perhaps search for Vatican condemnations of pro-abortion US presidents, pro-homosexual US presidents, homosexuality in seminaries, rampant heresy etc., before picking on Hallowe'en. And yes, as Peter and Baskerville have said, fear, terror and death are for REAL. They exist for real people alive today as well as for the dead in hell. We are to face it and defeat it, like Christ on the white horse in the Apocalypse, not pretend everything is fine and dandy, for that would be . . . dandy.
I just don't think dressin up once year is so bad. In fact its really fun. The scarier the better.

I mean with everythig else going wrong I think this is the least of our worries.
Kids get to use their imaginations, create something different.

Non issue.

Except that it does overshadow All Saints Day, as does Santa and the Easter Bunny by design.