Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian
(10-30-2009, 05:08 PM)AlanF Wrote: Anyway, "Vatican" or not, it raises a good point. Modern "Hallowe'en" is mostly little more than the neo-pagan nonsense with forms modern secular culture. Especially this "trick or treating" in which innocent people are forced to turn over their goods or face a "trick", most likely having to get dried egg off their house in the morning; which in fact is a perversion of a medieval Christian tradition when the poor used to ask for food in return for prayers for their dead, called "Souling."

Yes, it has a Christian origin, but, like everything else in America, has been perverted - either secularized or paganized. When I was a little trick 'r treater (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away), my siblings and I used to dress up as saints or other "holy souls" (such as a priest or a "blessed") and go from house to house. People used to say, "And who are you supposed to be?" We would always tell them the name of the saint; some would just give you a blank stare as if to say, "Who on earth is that?" (of course, the answer would be "no one.") But there were some who would express joy at seeing little children dressed as saints going from door in continuity with the Christian tradition of "souling".

This can still be done. A "beggar" can say a prayer for the family of every soul who gives him/her "treat". The only difference is that the beggar is receiving candy instead of substantial food, and the person giving the treat doesn't know s/he is receiving prayers from the recipient. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - by INPEFESS - 10-30-2009, 05:17 PM