Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian
(11-02-2009, 04:36 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: First, I apologize for being so tardy in my reply. I have been (and still am) very busy; I haven't been on here for several days.

But what do you think of movies involving the paranormal in general (no nonsense gore or Satan worship), movies like "Halloween" (where a girl is being stalked by a stranger with a mask - there is no nonsense gore or mention of religious themes) and "The Strangers", movies that fall somewhere in between ("White Noise"), or movies that focus on good religious themes (such as "The Exorcism of Emily Rose")? Do you think that a fascination with that which horrifies the psyche, scares the mind, or excites the amygdalae and sympathetic nervous system is spiritually detrimental? If so, I'd be interested in your perspective and opinion.

First, INPEFESS, please don't apologize for being busy.  I certainly understand!  :)

I can't say I've seen the movies you list . . .  I have a sort of natural aversion to those things.  I couldn't sleep for days after watching Seven and haven't watched another "horror" film since.  Given that I haven't seen the movies, perhaps I might ask a question:  Assume after a long day of work you want to come home and relax.  You choose to have a beer, a little pizza, and watch one of those movies.  What do you gain from watching it?  Does it give you some feeling of catharsis?  Why do it? 

If “Halloween”  is about a stalker scenario, isn’t this deviant/obsessive behavior?  “The Strangers” looks to be about a violent assault on a couple.  Once again, it’s full of sick, depraved actions.  (IMDb is handy for plot summary.)    Don’t these two at least qualify as a fascination with the macabre?  Forgive this if it seems hypercritical.  I just don’t understand why anyone would watch these films.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - by Fontevrault - 11-02-2009, 10:23 PM