All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day
(11-02-2009, 06:51 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: Never go with what is acceptable, only with what is greatest.  Whether or not something meets the bare minimum, that doesn't make it the ideal choicle.  Hope is good, but praying for the dead is good too.  We pray for hope a lot in the Novus Ordo.  Maybe we should have a day for the dead.

Indeed! Very well said. +1
Priest: For the servant of God (or servants of God) N. . ., and for his (her, their) blessed memory, and that his (her, their) every transgression, voluntary and involuntary, be forgiven, let us pray to the Lord.

People: Lord, have mercy.

Priest: That he (she, they) may stand uncondemned before the dread tribunal of Christ, and that his (her, their) soul (s) may be included in the realm of the living, in the place of light, where all the saints and righteous repose, let us pray to the Lord.

People: Lord, have mercy.

Eastern Rite..
Priest (silently): O God, of spirits and of all flesh, Who has trampled death, and vanquished the devil, and has granted life to Your world; do You, O Lord, give rest to the souls of Your departed servants N . . ., in a place of light, a place of refreshment, a place of repose, where there is no pain, sorrow or sighing. As a good and gracious God, forgive every sin committed by them, in word or deed or thought for there is no man living who does not sin. For You alone are without sin, Your righteousness is everlasting righteousness and Your word is truth.

Priest: For You are the resurrection and the life. and the repose of Your departed servants N . . . , O Christ our God, and to You we render glory I with your eternal Father, and Your all holy, gracious and life-creating Spirit, now and ever, and forever.

People: Amen.

Bah, my parish (NO) doesnt even have All souls we have "REMEMBRANCE DAY". I went to one of these remembrance days a few years back when my Grandpa died and was expecting a requiem Mass or at least prayers for the dead and all I or should I say the souls in purgatory got were sappy songs felt banners with their names on them and some weird ritual where we wrote the deceased reletives name on a piece of paper then burned it in an incense "bowl".
Now days if you go to this Parish the Priest has you bring in pictures of your deceased reletives to hang on the walls of the round church "so we may be surrounded by the communion of saints" no prayers for the dead are ever said.
This is why it is so important for us real Catholics to pray all the more for the Holy Souls who get very little attention from the new religion of Newchurch.
(11-02-2009, 06:40 PM)Credo Wrote:
Quote:Yes, a wonderful spin! Because, well, the Pope of the Blessed Sacrament was all about "renewal."

I don't know how familiar you are with the life of S. Pius X, but that pope's motto was, "Instuare omnia in Christo." The verse was taken from the Bible and it can be translated in a number of ways, including "To make all things new in Christ." One can also translate "Instuare" as "renew" or "restore." That is the origin of the phrase which you see in the Collect from the revised liturgy.

I am familiar with the life of Pope St. Pius X, actually.

You are correct in that "INSTAURARE" may be translated as "renew," however, it is clearly inappropriate here. Here's why:

Especially with his papacy, a great deal of Pius' efforts were focused on restoring the sense of the sacred to the liturgy, which was experiencing much abuse. He did not renew the liturgy, but rather restored it to what it was prescribed, particularly with Gregorian Chant. That's what he is known for. That's why he was so beloved. That's part of the reason why he was made a saint. Besides, "restore" was universally understood for the longest time to be the proper translation of his papal motto. If he really wanted to stress renewal, why didn't he use a more blatant word, like "innovare"?
Breviary geeks might not agree with St. Pius' "restoration" policies when it comes to the Divine Office. LOL.
(11-02-2009, 11:46 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Breviary geeks might not agree with St. Pius' "restoration" policies when it comes to the Divine Office. LOL.

Point taken.
(11-02-2009, 11:31 PM)un-giornamento Wrote: Especially with his papacy, a great deal of Pius' efforts were focused on restoring the sense of the sacred to the liturgy, which was experiencing much abuse. He did not renew the liturgy, but rather restored it to what it was prescribed, particularly with Gregorian Chant. That's what he is known for. That's why he was so beloved. That's part of the reason why he was made a saint. Besides, "restore" was universally understood for the longest time to be the proper translation of his papal motto. If he really wanted to stress renewal, why didn't he use a more blatant word, like "innovare"?

I'm no Latinist (Where's AgnusDei1989 when you need her?), but I think that you are totally misrepresenting the translation of His Holiness's motto.  "Renew" is a perfectly fine translation of Instuare, and given the context of his work, renew is very appropriate.  The problem is that we are using a modern (-ist?) translation of the word "renew" that has been co-opted by the Liturgical Dance crowd.

Indeed today we'd associate "innovare" with our concept of "renew" (though they're obviously different words), but that's just because we're so jaded about the word "renew".
(11-02-2009, 03:46 PM)Padre_Ricardo Wrote: I've offered Mass twice today, with third yet on the schedule.  (Every priest has the privilege of offering three Masses on All Souls' Day.)  I wore a black chasuble and a black stole, and I used a black chalice veil and a black burse.  I preached on Purgatory, as well.

I usually wear my black chasuble for funerals, and I've never gotten a complaint about it.

God Bless you Padre!
un-giornamento Wrote:He did not renew the liturgy, but rather restored

Oh, yes he did. His Breviary changes, however welcome, were quite dramatic.

Quote:That's why he was so beloved.

I wouldn't exactly say Pope S. Pius X was "beloved" in his day.

Quote:If he really wanted to stress renewal, why didn't he use a more blatant word, like "innovare"?

Because Pius was quoting a passage from the Scriptures which was translated into Latin, which we in turn are translating into English.