All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day
Louis_Martin Wrote:Today the Novus Ordo celebrates the great feast of All Souls Go to Heaven Day.

It is? In my 1972 Latin edition of The Liturgy of the Hours, the basis of the four-volume English edition, calls today "The Commemoration of All the Faithful Dead" (my translation).

Quote:I picked up my new breviary, the suggested hymn for morning prayer is "Jesus Christ is Risen Today".

What's wrong with that? Today is a day of hope and mercy. One of the Epistles in today's Latin Mass, which incidentally one of the options given for the First Lesson in the Office of Readings, has S. Paul going on and on about the hope we have in the Resurrection of Christ.

Quote:You can recite part of the Dies Irae some time though, if you feel like it.

If the Dies Irae speaks to you, then say it. It is a beautiful element of the Roman liturgy. Some folk dispair after reading it, though.

Here was the mind of the Consilium in their decision to downplay the poem:

Archbishop Annibale Bugnini Wrote:They got rid of texts that smacked of a negative spirituality inherited from the Middle Ages. Thus they removed such familiar and even beloved texts as the Libera me, Domine, the Dies Iræ, and others that overemphasized judgment, fear, and despair. These they replaced with texts urging Christian hope and arguably giving more effective expression to faith in the resurrection.

"Novus Ordo Collect" Wrote:... They're all in Heaven, we just don't hope hard enough.  Hope harder, people!

Hope is a great virtue. What's wrong with a prayer which extols Hope? Also, be wary of the English translation of the actual Latin Collects. Oftentimes the translations are quite different than the original.

"TLM Collect" Wrote:grant to thy servants and handmaidens a place of refreshment, the happiness of rest, and the brightness of Thy light

The above prayer is also all about Hope, so I don't see what you're getting at.

Quote:Yes, a wonderful spin! Because, well, the Pope of the Blessed Sacrament was all about "renewal."

I don't know how familiar you are with the life of S. Pius X, but that pope's motto was, "Instuare omnia in Christo." The verse was taken from the Bible and it can be translated in a number of ways, including "To make all things new in Christ." One can also translate "Instuare" as "renew" or "restore." That is the origin of the phrase which you see in the Collect from the revised liturgy.

Messages In This Thread
All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day - by Louis_Martin - 11-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Re: All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day - by Steven - 11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Re: All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day - by timoose - 11-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Re: All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day - by Magdalene - 11-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Re: All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day - by BrevisVir55 - 11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Re: All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day - by Historian - 11-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Re: All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day - by Credo - 11-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Re: All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day - by INPEFESS - 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Re: All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day - by Baskerville - 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Re: All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day - by Baskerville - 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Re: All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day - by Baskerville - 11-03-2009, 04:13 AM