Cleveland liquidating churches, holy items
(11-03-2009, 10:30 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: The TLM here isn't quite "packed" either, though it is certainly doing better than it was 2 or 3 years ago. And unlike most stories I've heard about the TLM being well-attended by the young, I think the dominant age group here is the nursing home crowd.

I know what you mean about not being packed, eh.? Ours here gets about 30-40 people. Of course, it's at 08h00 in a NO Church, celebrated by a Priest who drives in from Calgary. There is no 'parish life' to help draw people. OTH, my TLM Community in the States was well attended, with many young couples with many children (and often a 'bun in the oven'!), but there there was an active 'Parish' with two priests regular functions, all the Sacraments, daily Mass, etc.
(11-02-2009, 09:04 PM)glgas Wrote: The major reasons of the closing of Churches are that

- there are not enough priests

- there are no faithful in the area of the Church

In the diocese of Cleveland in 1970 there were 596 priests, and from that 240 were below 40 years old. Today there are 273 active priests and only 32 below 40 years old.

Also most of the parishes were inner city parishes for immigrant or second generation congregations, usually a small group of one etnicity. Their children and even themselves  moved to the suburbs and do not go back to their original Churches. The newcommers are either not Catholics, or lapsed Catholics, and the Baptists or Pentecostals give more attention and help to them that the Catholic Church. 

I think gglas is right. These beautiful old churches in the inner cities are going-going-gone because third generation Catholics have abandoned those areas and moved to suburbia. The old affluent folks who supported them out of devotion are now dying or dead. Those who occupy the cities now are black and Appalachian (not culturally Catholic) and are not being evangelized. It's that simple.

- Lisa
(11-03-2009, 10:52 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Those who occupy the cities now are black and Appalachian (not culturally Catholic) and are not being evangelized. It's that simple.

- Lisa

And therein lies the problem! If we still had active Catholic Action (e.g. the Legion of Mary) doing 'parish censuses' and evangelisation we would be converting these people. Our Bishops and our Priests have failed us in failing to provide leadership in this matter. My Pastor when I converted was bringing converts in by the bucketful. How? Simple, our school was miles above the public schools and his rule was simple. Anyone can attend my school, but both student and parents must receive instruction in the Catholic Faith. Once presented with the logic of the Faith many of them converted.

Of course, he was derided by the other clerics in the Diocese for being 'rigid', etc.! :laughing: