Thanksgiving Food Drives: Feed the Multitudes (Unless It's Illegal)
My only problem with panhandlers, is the few "professionals" I know.  They play the game, and beat out the real needy.  At the end of the day, they change, get in their cars, and drive home - it was just another day on the job.  They make a good living at it, and they protect their territory just like any dealer would protect their corner.  I find it hard to be charitable, when I know this is happening, and I don't know how many others are around, doing the same thing.  I'd rather find someplace where I can give, and at least have a bit of hope that it's really going to where it's needed - even if I'm just fooling myself.
Great letter, Catholichome.  You wouldn't happen to be a follower of the writings and preaching of Fr. John Hugo, would you?
Quote:Empty-handed or not, that first group went out and from the account Mark provides, they were successful. Successful enough that the government of the day - King Herod - got all riled up over it. And that didn't end too well. At least not for John the Baptist. The King genuinely liked John because he spoke the truth, but surrounded by dignitaries and his  military at a sumptuous dinner, he caved in to special interests and his own desires and lopped off the Baptist's head. Sound familiar?

Mark 6:17 For Herod himself had sent and apprehended John, and bound him in prison for the sake of Herodias the wife of Philip his brother, because he had married her. 18 For John said to Herod: It is not lawful for thee to have thy brother's wife. 19 Now Herodias laid snares for him: and was desirous to put him to death, and could not. 20 For Herod feared John, knowing him to be a just and holy man: and kept him, and when he heard him, did many things: and he heard him willingly. 21 And when a convenient day was come, Herod made a supper for his birthday, for the princes, and tribunes, and chief men of Galilee. 22 And when the daughter of the same Herodias had come in, and had danced, and pleased Herod, and them that were at table with him, the king said to the damsel: Ask of me what thou wilt, and I will give it thee. 23 And he swore to her: Whatsoever thou shalt ask I will give thee, though it be the half of my kingdom. 24 Who when she was gone out, said to her mother, What shall I ask? But she said: The head of John the Baptist. 25 And when she was come in immediately with haste to the king, she asked, saying: I will that forthwith thou give me in a dish, the head of John the Baptist. 26 And the king was struck sad. Yet because of his oath, and because of them that were with him at table, he would not displease her: 27 But sending an executioner, he commanded that his head should be brought in a dish. 28 And he beheaded him in the prison, and brought his head in a dish: and gave it to the damsel, and the damsel gave it to her mother.
No, I haven't read Father Hugo, but perhaps I should.  This wasn't the first time I've spoken up and it has cost me in terms of my professional life, but sometimes you just can't remain quiet for the sake of not rocking the boat. I always try to be kind and look for the best in people, but it makes me insane when those in power abuse it. Like King Herod.
(11-03-2009, 01:00 AM)Texican Wrote: My only problem with panhandlers, is the few "professionals" I know.  They play the game, and beat out the real needy.  At the end of the day, they change, get in their cars, and drive home - it was just another day on the job.  They make a good living at it, and they protect their territory just like any dealer would protect their corner.  I find it hard to be charitable, when I know this is happening, and I don't know how many others are around, doing the same thing.  I'd rather find someplace where I can give, and at least have a bit of hope that it's really going to where it's needed - even if I'm just fooling myself.

This is a real concern.  But it seems like that's between him and God, not him and you?  Hmm.  Except that you're not helping the needy if they're not really needy.  Tough call.
(11-03-2009, 09:55 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: This is a real concern.  But it seems like that's between him and God, not him and you?  Hmm.  Except that you're not helping the needy if they're not really needy.  Tough call.

Exactly.  While I could simply dismiss it, I feel like I'm aiding and abetting unscrupulous characters in the taking of limited resources from truly needy people.  By doing that, it tends to encourage other dishonest people to panhandle, when they aren't needy, either. Pretty soon, the needy are pushed out of the way, and they really have no place to go. 
(11-03-2009, 10:06 AM)Texican Wrote:
(11-03-2009, 09:55 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: This is a real concern.  But it seems like that's between him and God, not him and you?  Hmm.  Except that you're not helping the needy if they're not really needy.  Tough call.

Exactly.  While I could simply dismiss it, I feel like I'm aiding and abetting unscrupulous characters in the taking of limited resources from truly needy people.  By doing that, it tends to encourage other dishonest people to panhandle, when they aren't needy, either. Pretty soon, the needy are pushed out of the way, and they really have no place to go. 

Yes, but you don't know who's needy and who isn't.  It's not like the guy is holding a sign that says, "I'm scamming you, dingbat!".  I'm certainly not making myself out to be the world's greatest altruist - far from it - just saying that if someone is sitting there with a paper cup or a bucket looking for change, I'll almost certainly be a softie and pitch in, in spite of any local ordinance.  If the panhandler wants to steal from me then, just like using it for booze or drugs as in my preceding post, that is between him & God.  It's my duty to give him the buck and move on.
I'll give them $, when I can.

But if the sign says "will work for food", I go and buy them food and give it to them

One man cussed me out - another time, I saw a woman sitting behind a gas station with a couple of kids wolfing down the food I had given to her.
The ones who bother me are the ones who come up and ask for money and tell me they haven't eaten in 'x' days. I know for a fact that there are four square meals a day six days a week just blocks from where I'm being panhandled and on Sunday there are at least two meals available.

I'm more likely to give money to the guy who comes up and asks for a toonie so he can buy some beer. At least he's being honest!
(11-03-2009, 09:06 PM)libby Wrote: I'll give them $, when I can.

But if the sign says "will work for food", I go and buy them food and give it to them

One man cussed me out - another time, I saw a woman sitting behind a gas station with a couple of kids wolfing down the food I had given to her.

Yeah, a friend of mine was panhandled as he was going into a MickeyD's. Instead of giving the guy money he bought him a full meal. The guy threw it in his face as he cussed him out.