Thanksgiving Food Drives: Feed the Multitudes (Unless It's Illegal)
From "The 33 Doctors of the Church" Chapter 9: St. John Chrysostom on the Rich and the Poor:
Quote: It is foolishness and a public madness to fill the cupboards with clothing, and allow men, who are created in God's image and our likeness to stand naked and trembling in the cold, so that they can hardly hold themselves upright.... Indeed, forgive me, but I almost burst from anger! Only see, you who are large and fat, you hold drinking parties until late at night, and sleep in a warm, soft bed. And do you not think of how you must give an account of your misuse of the gifts of God? Yet you question very closely the poor and the miserable, who are scarcely better off than the dead - and you do not fear the dreadful and terrible judgement seat of Christ.

If the beggar lies, he lies from necessity, because your hard-heartedness and merciless inhumanity force him to such cheating. For who so otherwise would be so wretched and pitiable that he would needlessly, for the sake of a little bread, so demean himself as to let himself be struck and mishandled. If we would give our alms gladly and willingly, the poor would never have fallen to such depths.

Indeed, for your charioteers in the circus you are ready to sacrifice your own children, and for your actors you would deliver up your own souls; but for the hungering Christ, the smallest piece of money is too large for you to give. And if you sacrifice a penny for once, it is as if you were giving away your whole property. Truly I am ashamed when I see rich people riding about on horses decorated in gold, and with servants clad in gold coming along behind them. They have silver beds and multitudes of other luxuries. But if they have to give something to a poor man, suddenly they themselves are the poorest of the poor.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thanksgiving Food Drives: Feed the Multitudes (Unless It's Illegal) - by SCG - 11-02-2009, 10:23 PM