Thanksgiving Food Drives: Feed the Multitudes (Unless It's Illegal)
(11-03-2009, 10:06 AM)Texican Wrote:
(11-03-2009, 09:55 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: This is a real concern.  But it seems like that's between him and God, not him and you?  Hmm.  Except that you're not helping the needy if they're not really needy.  Tough call.

Exactly.  While I could simply dismiss it, I feel like I'm aiding and abetting unscrupulous characters in the taking of limited resources from truly needy people.  By doing that, it tends to encourage other dishonest people to panhandle, when they aren't needy, either. Pretty soon, the needy are pushed out of the way, and they really have no place to go. 

Yes, but you don't know who's needy and who isn't.  It's not like the guy is holding a sign that says, "I'm scamming you, dingbat!".  I'm certainly not making myself out to be the world's greatest altruist - far from it - just saying that if someone is sitting there with a paper cup or a bucket looking for change, I'll almost certainly be a softie and pitch in, in spite of any local ordinance.  If the panhandler wants to steal from me then, just like using it for booze or drugs as in my preceding post, that is between him & God.  It's my duty to give him the buck and move on.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thanksgiving Food Drives: Feed the Multitudes (Unless It's Illegal) - by DesperatelySeeking - 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM