Thanksgiving Food Drives: Feed the Multitudes (Unless It's Illegal)
Things have changed a lot in the pantry in our former parish.  I worked there as a volunteer over 20 years ago and at that time, we did break down bulk food into manageable portions. We were all volunteers except the Sister who ran the pantry. We did what we had to do for as long as we had to do it to get the job done.

I was also skilled at grant writing and managed to get funds for freezers and the electricity to keep them going. We had a program wherein parishioners would be given containers to take home and fill with precooked meals. These were labeled and then frozen to distribute to those who might have an emergency in the home: someone very ill in the hospital, a death in the family, or whatever the case might be. If there was an abundance of meals, they were given out. 

The Sister's brother was an avid fisherman and would bring fresh filleted fish to give out with no problem. I would often catch smaller fish and would fry them up to give out as well. I also ran a community garden and we would bring bushels and bushels of fresh vegetables to the pantry to give out. That's out of the question now, too. It's sad.  All of my fruits and vegetables are organic and grown from heirloom seeds. Can't give them away.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thanksgiving Food Drives: Feed the Multitudes (Unless It's Illegal) - by Catholichome - 11-05-2009, 09:47 AM