St Louis Fisheater Meetup!
That'll be the day -- when I can play every one of the Great Forty-Eight! :)
I'd rather focus on Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas (an even more monumental task!).  Though sadly some of those will always be out of my grasp (I'm looking in your direction, "Hammerklavier"  >:().  And as for Bach, I think I will have to learn the Goldberg Variations before going back to the WTC.  So much music, so little time...
you know, I was in St. Louis once.

...once.
(11-05-2009, 10:00 PM)cgraye Wrote: I'd rather focus on Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas (an even more monumental task!).  Though sadly some of those will always be out of my grasp (I'm looking in your direction, "Hammerklavier"  >:().  And as for Bach, I think I will have to learn the Goldberg Variations before going back to the WTC.  So much music, so little time...

Ah, Beethoven... I'm doing his first Sonata, the lovely F minor, for my Junior Recital in February (the G major P&F is on the list too, as well as Chopin's posthumous Nocturne in C sharp minor and his Polonaises Opus 40. I foresee that I'm going to be practicing till I drop from here to January!) But the Hammerklavier is away beyond me right now, though that, the Waldstein and the Appassionata are definitely hanging out somewhere in my future.

(11-05-2009, 11:22 PM)libby Wrote: you know, I was in St. Louis once.

...once.

LOL! Well, hopefully you can come visit my glorious city again sometime, while I'm still around!
(11-06-2009, 11:34 AM)AgnusDei1989 Wrote: Ah, Beethoven... I'm doing his first Sonata, the lovely F minor, for my Junior Recital in February (the G major P&F is on the list too, as well as Chopin's posthumous Nocturne in C sharp minor and his Polonaises Opus 40. I foresee that I'm going to be practicing till I drop from here to January!) But the Hammerklavier is away beyond me right now, though that, the Waldstein and the Appassionata are definitely hanging out somewhere in my future.

Ah, the F-minor, possibly my favorite of his earlier sonatas.  Good choice!  The Waldstein is one of my favorite pieces of music ever!  I was totally blown away the first time I heard it!  I did have a handle on the Les Adieux around this time last year, but sadly, time ran short, and I'm totally out of practice on it now.  Dang it :(
(11-06-2009, 11:34 AM)AgnusDei1989 Wrote: ...and the Appassionata [is] definitely hanging out somewhere in my future.

Yes, beautifully crafted piece. I have always thought about learning it, but then again, I don't have time for sleep let alone the Appassionata. When I was first learning Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu, I was obsessive about practicing it. I would play the most difficult parts first thing in the morning as soon as I woke up, and play other parts just before I would go to bed. I would tote the music around with me just to study it. On Sundays, I would get up at 4:45 and practice for just a few minutes before getting ready for Mass. It probably would have been better for my soul if I'd focused on examining my conscience and making a good confession, but it certainly shows where my tendencies are.

Now, I play once in maybe every two weeks, and when I do, it is mostly my own compositions and not those of the masters. I have absolutely no time and am losing much of what I used to be able to do. It is sad, but I have hopes of one day finding time to return to the bench.

AgnusDei1989, play the Appassionata! ...but put examining your conscience first.

;)
(11-06-2009, 11:53 AM)cgraye Wrote: Ah, the F-minor, possibly my favorite of his earlier sonatas.  Good choice!  The Waldstein is one of my favorite pieces of music ever!  I was totally blown away the first time I heard it!  I did have a handle on the Les Adieux around this time last year, but sadly, time ran short, and I'm totally out of practice on it now.  Dang it :(
Give credit for the choice of the F minor to my amazing teacher, who played it so spectacularly (in one of the first recitals I heard him play) that when he told me to choose a Beethoven sonata to work on I didn't think twice. Les Adieux is way out of my reach, and I honestly have no time now to even try the Waldstein again, though I might try to read it again sometime.

INPEFESS -- haha! So I'm not the only pianist who reads music like a book! It helped me keep my sanity on long piano-less trips. I might take your good example of a little piano in the morning and a little before bed... trouble is, as I work till midnight three nights a week, those nights are lost for practice, and everyone is asleep when I come home. :(

However, yes, one of these years when I have time I'll learn the Appassionata. I know a brilliant young Trad in New York who plays it (he was bold enough to try it even when his teacher told him he couldn't), and is currently working on Rach 2 -- he's the closest thing to a genius I know.

And, no worries.... I will not let the piano get in the way of my examination of conscience! Playing is my little way of saying thank you to God for the talent He gave me, but it would be too bad to let my spiritual life go by the board for the sake of practice. :)
(11-07-2009, 03:01 AM)AgnusDei1989 Wrote:
(11-06-2009, 11:53 AM)cgraye Wrote: Ah, the F-minor, possibly my favorite of his earlier sonatas.  Good choice!  The Waldstein is one of my favorite pieces of music ever!  I was totally blown away the first time I heard it!  I did have a handle on the Les Adieux around this time last year, but sadly, time ran short, and I'm totally out of practice on it now.  Dang it :(

INPEFESS -- haha! So I'm not the only pianist who reads music like a book! It helped me keep my sanity on long piano-less trips. I might take your good example of a little piano in the morning and a little before bed... trouble is, as I work till midnight three nights a week, those nights are lost for practice, and everyone is asleep when I come home. :(

Ha! No, you're not the only crazy one. You might say I am possessed by music. I'm always composing or hearing something in my head.

Yes, I get home around midnight and have to get up early every morning, so, like yourself, that doesn't ever happen. It's not something I've done in a while. That was some time ago... I think I was 18 at the time. Still, it sounds like you probably practice at least 20 times as much as I do. I'd like to teach piano ...in all that spare time I have.  ;) Can I re-use that as my excuse for not replying to your PM ... again?  :)

Quote:However, yes, one of these years when I have time I'll learn the Appassionata. I know a brilliant young Trad in New York who plays it (he was bold enough to try it even when his teacher told him he couldn't), and is currently working on Rach 2 -- he's the closest thing to a genius I know.

Gorgeous piece.

How old is he?

Quote:And, no worries.... I will not let the piano get in the way of my examination of conscience! Playing is my little way of saying thank you to God for the talent He gave me, but it would be too bad to let my spiritual life go by the board for the sake of practice. :)

Haha! Good. I just don't want to be responsible for giving any scandal. I'd love to hear you play sometime. Sometime if I'm out that way, I'll have to give you a "heads up".
LOL -- nothing wrong with being crazy, hey? And I also have a mental soundtrack to my life. Often this past year it has been the magnificent Schumann Piano Concerto, which I fell in love with this summer and plan to attempt when I have the time.

The lad I mentioned is seventeen, maybe closer to eighteen now. When I met him a year or so ago he immediately struck me as a musical genius and that impression has not dimmed. When I told him in February, after hearing him play the Appassionata, that he would probably have fun if he had a look at some Rachmaninoff, (he has the hands for it,) he took my advice and now he's doing Rach 2, second movement for the Syracuse Symphony's concerto competition.

I would love to play for you, and to hear you play. I'll let you know when my junior and senior recitals are, when the dates are actually set; the junior will be sometime in February but I don't have a real date yet. We shall see! :)
(11-02-2009, 07:50 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: St. Louisians, I'll be in your city on Saturday, December 5.  Let's do lunch!

Who's interested in meeting for lunch at Hammerstone's in Soulard starting at noon?

so, what's the final verdict on time and location? Hammerstone's at noon on Saturday, 12/5?  I might be in St Louis that weekend too.