The Harry Potter Debate
(11-03-2009, 04:54 PM)piabee Wrote:
(11-03-2009, 04:23 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(11-03-2009, 04:17 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: I  :love: HP....lol we should start a pants thread next! nothing funner than  :deadhorse:

I like HP as well. I saw their new netbooks and they look very well made.

Don't buy one. Their laptops are junk.

I agree. I wouldn't touch their PC's or laptops with a 10 foot long clown pole.
(11-03-2009, 04:17 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: I  :love: HP....

I used to love HP as well. I used to think it was the best sauce in the world. Then I found out the Queen of England uses it. Now I think its the worst sauce in the world.
St, Thomas would be envious of the depth of the analysis here, hat tip to all of you in this Theological Debate.
yim
(11-03-2009, 06:05 PM)Elwin Ransom Wrote: Beautifully done, gentlemen.  I cringed when I saw the name of the topic, but now I see it's turned into something useful thanks to your masterful...
[Image: thread-hijack.jpg]
Excuse me....do go back and notice who started the de-railment...(whether or not it was on purpose!)  :laughing:
(11-14-2009, 05:27 AM)Arun Wrote:
(11-03-2009, 04:17 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: I  :love: HP....

I used to love HP as well. I used to think it was the best sauce in the world. Then I found out the Queen of England uses it. Now I think its the worst sauce in the world.
:laughing: :laughing: +1
(11-14-2009, 08:48 AM)timoose Wrote: St, Thomas would be envious of the depth of the analysis here, hat tip to all of you in this Theological Debate.
yim

St. Thomas would not make vague threads with introductions such as:

Quote:alright. Its that Harry Potter debate time again! So, is it anti-Catholic? What do you think?

Attempts at being serious failed, as I, before bring up HP, did try to get more specific questions and concerns, and asked what the previous debates didn't cover.
Question: Is Harry Potter Catholic?

Answer: No, Harry Potter is not Catholic. He does, however, celebrate Christmas.
Ros and all, I'm just pullin' yer legs.
tim
(11-03-2009, 03:54 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(11-03-2009, 03:41 PM)fantasy_forever Wrote:
(11-03-2009, 03:37 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(11-03-2009, 03:04 PM)fantasy_forever Wrote: alright. Its that Harry Potter debate time again! So, is it anti-Catholic? What do you think?  :safe:

"Again"? Where was the last? Why start it anew? What aspects not covered in the last do you wish to discuss here?

As for Harry Potter, I found the first few books poorly written and stupid. I was 11 at the time I think.

I dont think its anti-Catholic, but it was poorly written, yes.
Define "anti-Catholic".

I think a story which glorifies disobedience (while not a real issue in itself, it combines with everything else), a boy who gets glory and power by chance and without effort (the writer invented the entire story so that this boy could have things happen to him...whatever happened to hard work and toil?), a headmaster of a school for wizards who is homosexual, and a story which ignores all philosophically important issues for fantasy could be considered to be "anti-Catholic" on some level.

The fact it is poorly written is the final nail. If we are reading trash, it should be well written. That is why it is evil; because it is a sign of decaying literature in the youth.

Dumbledor? Homosexual? Says who?
(11-19-2009, 06:59 PM)elizabee Wrote: Dumbledor? Homosexual? Says who?

J. K. Rowling