The Harry Potter Debate
I am almost afraid to post on this topic, but I have grew up with the books (I was 11 when the first book came out so I as young enough to be seriously looking for owls flying during the day until I turned 12 and was quite disappointed that I wasn't going to Hogwarts).

My main argument with people who oppose the books is that they aren't giving young readers much credit. Yes, most of them look at the magic and go oh neat wouldn't it be awesome to do that and have no consequences. Most of them will also do the same thing for Superman, Spiderman, and My Little Pony. Yet, no one says that watching Spiderman cartoons leads children to go courting spider bites. Yes, he's and awful role model, so is Punch and Judy puppet shows and your neighbor down the street possibly. Everyday kids see bad role models and the occult. It's better to just let them read the books and if they have questions or are looking for owls sit them down and explain. Have them read the bible passages and talk to them. Book protest simply serve to make people curious.

Oh the note of Dumbuldore being gay, it was so not present in the book that she had to tell the movie director that he was gay.

Quote:Rowling told the audience that while working on the planned sixth Potter film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," she spotted a reference in the script to a girl who once was of interest to Dumbledore. A note was duly passed to director David Yates, revealing the truth about her character.

The man making the movies couldn't even tell from just reading the books! The chance of a little kid reading it and figuring it out mind numbingly low.
We should stage a public burning of those books. Just to set an example.
I'm going to assume that you are joking or being sarcastic.
(11-20-2009, 09:45 AM)lostcat496 Wrote: I'm going to assume that you are joking or being sarcastic.

You don't fancy public burnings?
I can't see a problem with the series. I just can't bring myself to believe that God is angry about a piece of literature. Maybe if the read had literally come out and admitted to its opposition of the Catholic church (or any church for that matter) then I could see it becoming a source of blasphemy. As is I see it just another piece of literature.
(11-20-2009, 07:00 PM)KylePalko Wrote: As is I see it just another piece of literature.

Bad literature, yes.
While not as overtly anti-Catholic as, say, the Golden Compass, it nonetheless instills a sentiment of anti-religion in the minds of youth. It is part of a myriad of tactics emplyed in the vast cornucopia of spiritual disruption unleashed on our young ones these days.
The films I don;t think are as bad, my kids have seen a couple. I've read the books up to the Order of the Phoenix, and don't want my children expoed to them. Seen the films up to Order of the Phoeix as well, and found them less harmful.
As I stated earlier, burn them!
(11-20-2009, 07:02 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(11-20-2009, 07:00 PM)KylePalko Wrote: As is I see it just another piece of literature.

Bad literature, yes.

It's every bit as good a most classic children's literature, and one a heck of a lot cleaner than most of the stuff that's being produced for the middle-school/young adult age group.

Almost all literature written for kids and teenagers glorifies lying, disobedience, and cheating, and quite a bit of it includes magic of some sort.
(11-21-2009, 12:18 AM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(11-20-2009, 07:02 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

Bad literature, yes.

It's every bit as good a most classic children's literature, and one a heck of a lot cleaner than most of the stuff that's being produced for the middle-school/young adult age group.

Almost all literature written for kids and teenagers glorifies lying, disobedience, and cheating, and quite a bit of it includes magic of some sort.

The stories are bad. I thought so when I first read them. I was 10, at the time.