The Harry Potter Debate
(11-21-2009, 03:37 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: BURN these books!!!!!

+1
(11-21-2009, 03:37 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Books promoting whichcraft like this trash potter nonsense are evilm these books promote evil. The devil is very cunning. I have personaly witnessed this with these books. As a one time friend of mine who now is pagan is bringing his son up with these things and hoping and teaching his son to be a warlock.
Innocent fantasy is one thing. Such as young Irish lads playing kill the brit or pretending to pull of bank hiest and escape with the loot. That's innocent fun.sip
But these potter things are evil. They should be burned. As for the author well
Sip
She can go too
BURN these books!!!!!
Seriously DK...do I come off as the evil satanic type? Harry Potter no sooner distracted me from my Faith, then Narnia. Its innocent fun.
I stopped reading them because I was sick  about how Harry conveniently happens to get out of trouble every time he disobeys rules. Any other student would have been expelled for doing what Harry did.

Yes, I do think Harry is a Gary Stu character.
(11-21-2009, 04:24 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote:
(11-21-2009, 03:37 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Books promoting whichcraft like this trash potter nonsense are evilm these books promote evil. The devil is very cunning. I have personaly witnessed this with these books. As a one time friend of mine who now is pagan is bringing his son up with these things and hoping and teaching his son to be a warlock.
Innocent fantasy is one thing. Such as young Irish lads playing kill the brit or pretending to pull of bank hiest and escape with the loot. That's innocent fun.sip
Sip
She can go too
BURN these books!!!!!
Seriously DK...do I come off as the evil satanic type? Harry Potter no sooner distracted me from my Faith, then Narnia. Its innocent fun.

I can agree with both of you, yet I prefer to err on the side of caution with DK.

The problem with HP is that it effects everyone - some it effects not at all, some it effects very little, yet some it takes over completely - the latter is why I am happily ignorant of what HP even is and will remain so.
(11-21-2009, 11:53 AM)Rosarium Wrote: Whatever ever happened to reading about Narnia, or the Lord of the Rings?

Boring.

I don't like books about magic in general because I find them silly and implausible; I liked the Harry Potter books because of the drama between the characters and the boarding school atmosphere. I agree that it's a annoying how Harry is always the hero, but I don't see how that makes the books badly written. He just has an annoying personality.
(11-21-2009, 05:00 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Boring.

I don't like books about magic in general because I find them silly and implausible; I liked the Harry Potter books because of the drama between the characters and the boarding school atmosphere. I agree that it's a annoying how Harry is always the hero, but I don't see how that makes the books badly written. He just has an annoying personality.

In that case, how about Great Expectations or Oliver Twist?
(11-21-2009, 04:24 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote:
Sip
She can go too
BURN these books!!!!!

I read and loved Lord of the Rings, but C.S. Lewis was just to dry for my liking. I stick by my golden rule for books and movies (I used it for Golden Compass and Sabrina the Teenage Witch to!)  when it comes to HP. If a book/movie makes you change your faith, you probably really weren't that to begin with. Normal people who truly believe in something don't convert because I book thinks a good idea (especially if it only vaguely implies so). Children are capable of having enough faith and sense to read the books and not jump on the next coven they see!
(11-21-2009, 05:51 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(11-21-2009, 05:00 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Boring.

In that case, how about Great Expectations or Oliver Twist?

I liked Great Expectations. Never read Oliver Twist. Neither of these books are about magic...??
(11-21-2009, 06:01 PM)lostcat496 Wrote: I read and loved Lord of the Rings, but C.S. Lewis was just to dry for my liking. I stick by my golden rule for books and movies (I used it for Golden Compass and Sabrina the Teenage Witch to!)  when it comes to HP. If a book/movie makes you change your faith, you probably really weren't that to begin with. Normal people who truly believe in something don't convert because I book thinks a good idea (especially if it only vaguely implies so). Children are capable of having enough faith and sense to read the books and not jump on the next coven they see!

It isn't always an issue of challenging the faith, but being sinful in other ways. I mean, you couldn't in good conscious use something blasphemous for entertainment?

Quote:I liked Great Expectations. Never read Oliver Twist. Neither of these books are about magic...??
Good literature.

You said:

Quote:I don't like books about magic in general because I find them silly and implausible;
Those two are not about magic.

Quote:I liked the Harry Potter books because of the drama between the characters and the boarding school atmosphere.
Both of those stories are well written, unlike Harry Potter, and have a lot of drama between characters, including at various educational environments.

Quote: I agree that it's a annoying how Harry is always the hero, but I don't see how that makes the books badly written.
It isn't just because he's always the hero, but the entire book. It is suitable for mild entertainment when one has a buck to spare on something. It shouldn't be a landmark series. It isn't suitable for that.
(11-21-2009, 07:14 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(11-21-2009, 06:01 PM)lostcat496 Wrote: I read and loved Lord of the Rings, but C.S. Lewis was just to dry for my liking. I stick by my golden rule for books and movies (I used it for Golden Compass and Sabrina the Teenage Witch to!)  when it comes to HP. If a book/movie makes you change your faith, you probably really weren't that to begin with. Normal people who truly believe in something don't convert because I book thinks a good idea (especially if it only vaguely implies so). Children are capable of having enough faith and sense to read the books and not jump on the next coven they see!

It isn't always an issue of challenging the faith, but being sinful in other ways. I mean, you couldn't in good conscious use something blasphemous for entertainment?

No, it would be wrong to use something blasphemous for entertainment, I would never watch the awful Mel Gibson movie. However most things that people get in a snit over aren't actual blaspheme. They just portray something that we are against, or a character with a flaw we'd rather not encourage. I think you need to go a lot father before you become actual blaspheme.