The Harry Potter Debate
(11-23-2009, 05:57 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(11-23-2009, 12:03 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: How true!!
Apocypto was a masterpiece too!!!! What a film!!!!!

I never made it past the natives devouring wild boar testicles. I had to ask myself, "Why am I watching this again?" Me answered, "Oh right, you're not."
You shuld seriously give it another shot, and amazing movie.
(11-23-2009, 08:09 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote:
(11-23-2009, 05:57 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(11-23-2009, 12:03 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: How true!!
Apocypto was a masterpiece too!!!! What a film!!!!!

I never made it past the natives devouring wild boar testicles. I had to ask myself, "Why am I watching this again?" Me answered, "Oh right, you're not."
You shuld seriously give it another shot, and amazing movie.

I might consider it. But I didn't like the subplot at all.
i didn't think it was that great... not bad, but nothing to write home about lol.
Great film. On a few levels
I loved the rfact it was done in a dialect of yocutec Maya. Though I prefer the dialect of Mayan spoken in southern chiapas and Guatamala. It was a good move for the film.
If u want to appreciate this film more u should read Barnal Diaz. The conquest of New Spain. Being one of the first Conquestadors there and being on Cortezes tea it is a fantastic account on the Maya of that region during that epichal time. The end is great witt the conquestadors ona boat comming to sure with a cross. Indeed how true the death throes of a pagan people the man who lived running seeing the cross.
Fantastic!!
Too bad he didn't make a film based on Barnal diazes eye witness account of the conquest of the aztecs now that would be a film!!
Sip sip
Mel!
Back to the topic...

I must say, I LOVE Harry Potter.  I didn't start getting into the series until the first movie came out.  I enjoyed it so much that I read the book, and the second one, in the same night, while stranded at the airport.  I've been hooked ever since. 

I think they are fun, easy reading.  The stories did not make me interested in the occult, and truth be told, I think the magic is just a small plot device.  The books' main themes are the triumph of love over evil and the standard coming-of-age type story.

I would, however, be careful only to let older kids read them mostly because the last 3 books of the series have very dark imagery that might be difficulty for younger kids to process.
(11-24-2009, 10:30 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: . Though I prefer the dialect of Mayan spoken in southern chiapas and Guatamala.

Wow. Not that often you come across somebody with good taste in Mayan! :D

+1 (see post in other thread for reference about my new +1 system.)