Traditional organizations?
I'm sorry if this information is available somewhere on the website. I did not find it.

I want to attend a TLM that is offered by an organization like SSPX, FSSP, ICK etc., but none of those groups are in my area (area code 22305, northern VA). Are there any other organizations I should look for?

Both the SSPX and FSSP are over 3 hours away, and the closest ICK is in Jersey.

I can't complain too much; a parish 15 minutes away offers the TLM every Sunday, but it is held in a very "progressive" NO parish and I was hoping to find a traditional community.

Thanks.
(11-04-2009, 06:57 PM)damooster Wrote: I'm sorry if this information is available somewhere on the website. I did not find it.

I want to attend a TLM that is offered by an organization like SSPX, FSSP, ICK etc., but none of those groups are in my area (area code 22305, northern VA). Are there any other organizations I should look for?

I can't complain too much; a parish 15 minutes away offers the TLM every Sunday, but it is held in a very "progressive" NO parish and I was hoping to find a traditional community.

Thanks.

Have you been to the Diocesan TLM? If so, have you taken time to talk to the Priest who celebrates the TLM and the other parishioners who attend the TLM? I would think that a lot of the people who would attend the TLM at that parish (especially if NO Masses are regularly offered there as well so that people who prefer the NO can go to those Masses) would be fairly Traditional.
(11-04-2009, 06:57 PM)damooster Wrote: I'm sorry if this information is available somewhere on the website. I did not find it.

Thanks.

The most complete list of TLMs in North America is at http://traditio.com/tradlib/masslat.pdf

The traditio website is garbage and no repectable Catholic should read their site, but I can't argue with their TLM directory.  The website does a little editorializing by putting angry faces by SSPX/FSSP/ICRSS/Diocesan Masses and putting smiley faces by CMRI, SSPV and Independent Masses, but whatever.  If I made the list, I'd do the exact opposite, but whatever.  They are all valid Masses.  You can make your own decisions.
(11-04-2009, 06:57 PM)damooster Wrote: I want to attend a TLM that is offered by an organization like SSPX, FSSP, ICK etc., but none of those groups are in my area (area code 22305, northern VA). Are there any other organizations I should look for?

Your prayers have been answered!   :awww:

There is a traditional Catholic community that is "affiliated" with the SSPX.  It is an independent chapel, but closely tied to the SSPX, which sends SSPX bishops for confirmations.  The pastor was ordained by Archbishop Lefebvre; the parish has sent young men to the SSPX seminary.  Here is the info, from WikkiMissa:

22182 - VIENNA - St Athanasius Church 9201 Leesburg Pike (pre-1956 TLM)
Sun 7:00am, 9:00 am, 11:00 am
Daily: 6:25 am Sat: 8 am
Pho (703) 759-4555
email: athanasiusvienna@aol.com
Independent and strongly pro-SSPX (Fr. Ronald J. Ringrose)

I assisted in training servers and priests at a couple of the diocesan TLMs in Arlington.  Many of the priests in the Arlington diocese have very strong traditionalist sympathies, and are very open about their preference for the TLM.  If the particular parish you have attended seems too NO for you, I would consider the several other options you have in the diocese.  See the list here: http://www.arlingtondiocese.org/worship/...ations.php

Saint John the Apostle, Leesburg: First Sunday of each month at 10:30 a.m. (Historic church).

Saint John the Baptist, Front Royal: Sundays at 12:30 p.m.; Mondays at 7 a.m.; Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Contact parish for more details (540-635-3780)

Saint John the Beloved, McLean: Sundays at noon; Mondays at 7:30 p.m. (Low Mass)

Saint John the Evangelist, Warrenton: Sundays at 12:30 p.m.

Saint Lawrence, Alexandria: Sundays at 12:30 p.m.

Saint Louis, Alexandria: Friday evenings at 7:00 p.m.

Saint Mary, Alexandria: First and third Fridays of every month at 7:30 p.m.

Saint Michael, Annandale: Sundays at 6:15 a.m.

Saint Patrick, Fredericksburg: Sundays at 1:30 p.m.

Holy Trinity, Gainesville: Sundays at 12:30 p.m.

Holy Spirit, Annandale: Wednesdays at 7:30 a.m.

If you don't like the TLM at St. Lawrence, try the one at St. John the Beloved.  Fr. Scalia is the pastor, and I know him well.  You will not be disappointed.  I would definitely consider him a traditionalist.
(11-04-2009, 07:47 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote:
(11-04-2009, 06:57 PM)damooster Wrote: I want to attend a TLM that is offered by an organization like SSPX, FSSP, ICK etc., but none of those groups are in my area (area code 22305, northern VA). Are there any other organizations I should look for?

There is a traditional Catholic community that is "affiliated" with the SSPX.  It is an independent chapel, but closely tied to the SSPX, which sends SSPX bishops for confirmations.  The pastor was ordained by Archbishop Lefebvre; the parish has sent young men to the SSPX seminary.  Here is the info, from WikkiMissa:

Pho (703) 759-4555

As the poster above points out, Fr. Ringrose is not a member of the SSPX.  He is a former diocesan priest who went "independent."  I'm not sure how you feel about "independent" priests, but I figured you should be aware.  Even if you do attend Mass there, I would discourage you from going there for confessions, as he has no faculties and cannot validly grant absolution.
(11-04-2009, 07:48 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: I assisted in training servers and priests at a couple of the diocesan TLMs in Arlington.  Many of the priests in the Arlington diocese have very strong traditionalist sympathies, and are very open about their preference for the TLM.  If the particular parish you have attended seems too NO for you, I would consider the several other options you have in the diocese.  See the list here: http://www.arlingtondiocese.org/worship/...ations.php

Saint John the Apostle, Leesburg: First Sunday of each month at 10:30 a.m. (Historic church).

Saint John the Baptist, Front Royal: Sundays at 12:30 p.m.; Mondays at 7 a.m.; Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Contact parish for more details (540-635-3780)

Saint John the Beloved, McLean: Sundays at noon; Mondays at 7:30 p.m. (Low Mass)

Saint John the Evangelist, Warrenton: Sundays at 12:30 p.m.

Saint Lawrence, Alexandria: Sundays at 12:30 p.m.

Saint Louis, Alexandria: Friday evenings at 7:00 p.m.

Saint Mary, Alexandria: First and third Fridays of every month at 7:30 p.m.

Saint Michael, Annandale: Sundays at 6:15 a.m.

Saint Patrick, Fredericksburg: Sundays at 1:30 p.m.

Holy Trinity, Gainesville: Sundays at 12:30 p.m.

Holy Spirit, Annandale: Wednesdays at 7:30 a.m.

If you don't like the TLM at St. Lawrence, try the one at St. John the Beloved.  Fr. Scalia is the pastor, and I know him well.  You will not be disappointed.  I would definitely consider him a traditionalist.

Thanks for posting that!  I had been wanting to see a list like that.
(11-04-2009, 07:51 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: As the poster above points out, Fr. Ringrose is not a member of the SSPX.  He is a former diocesan priest who went "independent."  I'm not sure how you feel about "independent" priests, but I figured you should be aware.  Even if you do attend Mass there, I would discourage you from going there for confessions, as he has no faculties and cannot validly grant absolution.

I'm a new Catholic and I do not know what an independent priest is. Are they not in communion with the Church?
(11-04-2009, 10:02 PM)damooster Wrote:
(11-04-2009, 07:51 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: As the poster above points out, Fr. Ringrose is not a member of the SSPX.  He is a former diocesan priest who went "independent."  I'm not sure how you feel about "independent" priests, but I figured you should be aware.  Even if you do attend Mass there, I would discourage you from going there for confessions, as he has no faculties and cannot validly grant absolution.

I'm a new Catholic and I do not know what an independent priest is. Are they not in communion with the Church?

An independent priest is a priest who was validly ordained by a valid bishop, so he retains all the faculties of a priest.  But he doesn't operate in a diocesan structure.  If you are a practical Catholic in communion with the Church, these priests should probably be your last resort.  But you can make your own decisions.
(11-04-2009, 07:51 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:
(11-04-2009, 07:47 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote:

Pho (703) 759-4555

As the poster above points out, Fr. Ringrose is not a member of the SSPX.  He is a former diocesan priest who went "independent."  I'm not sure how you feel about "independent" priests, but I figured you should be aware.  Even if you do attend Mass there, I would discourage you from going there for confessions, as he has no faculties and cannot validly grant absolution.
This advice applies to all SSPX confessions as well.

I'd stick with the TLM at the regular parish. Surely they cannot be all that progressive if they arrange a TLM.