Live Stream of Daily Traditional Latin Mass
(11-06-2009, 02:35 PM)Walty Wrote:
(11-06-2009, 01:23 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:
(11-06-2009, 12:34 PM)Walty Wrote:
(11-06-2009, 09:06 AM)timjp77 Wrote:
(11-05-2009, 11:30 PM)Walty Wrote:
(11-05-2009, 11:22 PM)Polemos Wrote:
(11-05-2009, 10:42 PM)Walty Wrote: Does the SSPX ever do the processional or recessional hymns in the vernacular?

At all SSPX masses at which I have assisted (here in Canada), the faithful have sung both the processional and recessional hymns in the vernacular.

Wow.  Could one say the ICK liturgical procession is more traditional then?

No, one could not say that.

Why not?  Certainly a processional in Latin and sung only by the choir would be more traditional, no?

Not necessarily, if it was never really done in the past.  I doubt that was ever a common occurrence prior to the council.  I don't have anything against it, but just because it's in Latin doesn't make it more trad.

So there was never a time when the processional and recessional was always done in Latin?  The vernacular has always been used there?

I just can't imagine that there would have been many times in history (since processional and recessional hymns have come into use) when many of the laity would have been able to  sing very much Latin, outside of the ordinary.  At least as far back as the Baroque period, the laity have been singing vernacular hymns.
Thanks RBJ.

Say, does anyone know of any good and comprehensive books on the history of the Mass and liturgy (form)?  This could probably answer a few of my questions.
Thanks for posting this. :)
(11-06-2009, 04:51 PM)Walty Wrote: Thanks RBJ.

Say, does anyone know of any good and comprehensive books on the history of the Mass and liturgy (form)?  This could probably answer a few of my questions.

The Mass of the Roman Rite by Jungmann is supposed to be one of the most comprehensive studies, and it was recommended to me by Fr. Berg, FSSP.  You do have to be careful, though, because I believe he warned me that Jungmann had some modernist tendencies.
http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Roman-Rite-De...0870611291
(11-06-2009, 02:35 PM)Walty Wrote: So there was never a time when the processional and recessional was always done in Latin?  The vernacular has always been used there?

The Introit was originally used as a processional and is still commonly done at sung Masses where there is no Asperges rite before Mass.

For recessional hymns, I believe in medieval times there were books of Latin hymns used for this purpose, but they had disappeared for various reasons. I honestly will need to research this.