Smoking Before Mass?
Does one have to fast from smoking a pipe before Mass?  If so, how long should this fast be?
(11-06-2009, 12:32 PM)Walty Wrote: Does one have to fast from smoking a pipe before Mass?  If so, how long should this fast be?

according to my missal( Misal Romano , Latino-Espanol 2nda Edicion,1945), nothing by mouth after midnight, period.

However - smoking, inadvertant swallowing of saliva, particles of food from last night's dinner stuck in one's teeth, vestiges of cotton from mouth surgery, your own blood from your own mouth, a "few drops" of water after brushing one's teeth - those are all ok.

So go smoke.
No water?  Oh boy...
inadvertant swallowing of saliva?  So I have to make an active effort not to swallow saliva?
If I purposefully swallow saliva, I break the fast?

Also, I think smoking may be improper before Mass simply because it feels like it would be.  I know at least that I wouldn't do that.
(11-06-2009, 12:52 PM)Texican Wrote: No water?   Oh boy...

Agreed.  That is a shocker. 
(11-06-2009, 12:49 PM)libby Wrote:
(11-06-2009, 12:32 PM)Walty Wrote: Does one have to fast from smoking a pipe before Mass?  If so, how long should this fast be?

according to my missal( Misal Romano , Latino-Espanol 2nda Edicion,1945), nothing by mouth after midnight, period.

However - smoking, inadvertant swallowing of saliva, particles of food from last night's dinner stuck in one's teeth, vestiges of cotton from mouth surgery, your own blood from your own mouth, a "few drops" of water after brushing one's teeth - those are all ok.

So go smoke.

I've never understood this after midnight nonsense.  Is that supposed to give people fasting times for when they go to Mass at 6 in the morning?

Sometimes I don't eat a thing all day until after midnight.  And I usually go to mass in the afternoon.  Does this make me a modernist?
(11-06-2009, 01:50 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: inadvertant swallowing of saliva?  So I have to make an active effort not to swallow saliva?
If I purposefully swallow saliva, I break the fast?

Also, I think smoking may be improper before Mass simply because it feels like it would be.  I know at least that I wouldn't do that.

Yeah, that's why I asked.  Something just didn't feel right about it so I smoked after.
Since smoking is does not involve the digestive system other than sharing the mouth (nose) as the entry point, from a digestive point of view, smoking would not be a consideration.

From a "fasting" point of view, I would say anything like gum, smoking or drinking anything but needed water should be also avoided unless strictly necessary. I'd say the time would be the entire time one is fasting.

(11-06-2009, 02:30 PM)Walty Wrote:
(11-06-2009, 12:49 PM)libby Wrote:

So go smoke.

I've never understood this after midnight nonsense.  Is that supposed to give people fasting times for when they go to Mass at 6 in the morning?

Sometimes I don't eat a thing all day until after midnight.  And I usually go to mass in the afternoon.  Does this make me a modernist?

The midnight "nonsense" was done away, IIRC, in 1955.  Remember, the frequent reception of communion was only introduced in the 20th Century.
(11-06-2009, 02:30 PM)Walty Wrote: I've never understood this after midnight nonsense.  Is that supposed to give people fasting times for when they go to Mass at 6 in the morning?
Don't call what you don't understand "nonsense". That is very...foolish.

For most of history, mass was only celebrated in the morning, so "from midnight" was "no breakfast" before mass. This was to provide optimal digestion for the Eucharist and prevent any undue prolonging of its Presence in the body.

Then, quite recently, mass was allowed to be celebrated in the afternoon (this is one of the reasons why afternoon masses can count for the next day) and the fast was changed to three hours. You can see why. For most people before, "from midnight" was essentially just delaying eating for a few hours at the most from when they'd normally eat.

So much for the nonsense :)

Quote:Sometimes I don't eat a thing all day until after midnight.  And I usually go to mass in the afternoon.  Does this make me a modernist?
Modernism is a clearly defined heresy, so no. It means that the definitions used are not applicable to your specific circumstance.

For example, I typically eat only one meal, in the afternoon, and I'm a vegan. Technically, I fulfill almost all the requirements for "fasting" that the Church uses. However, I am not fasting in reality. My situation does not apply to the rule. So, although I fulfill the letters of the law, I must actually fast when I'm supposed to (and if I choose to at other times). I do this by eating less, not eating at all, or eating less tasty things although I am normally fond of bland food anyway.