Smoking Before Mass?
our Mass is at 5 pm.....we would all be eating each other on the way to Mass if we had to follow that rule!
First off, I am a smoker (pipe and cigars, primarily the latter). However, I'd venture to say that smoking before Mass and receiving communion would be inappropriate. Would it be breaking the fast? I would say no, but lets cast aside this legalistic approach and realize the intent that is behind this application. The fast that is observed prior to receiving communion is done so as to provide a receptacle that is pure and generally untainted by any food particulate that might mingle with the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord. With this in mind I would find it inappropriate to present to our Lord a mouth reeking with tobacco, tar and all other unsavory products associated with the smoking experience for His flesh to rest upon.

In Corde Regis,
Joshua
(11-10-2009, 01:01 AM)Joshua Wrote: First off, I am a smoker (pipe and cigars, primarily the latter). However, I'd venture to say that smoking before Mass and receiving communion would be inappropriate. Would it be breaking the fast? I would say no, but lets cast aside this legalistic approach and realize the intent that is behind this application. The fast that is observed prior to receiving communion is done so as to provide a receptacle that is pure and generally untainted by any food particulate that might mingle with the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord. With this in mind I would find it inappropriate to present to our Lord a mouth reeking with tobacco, tar and all other unsavory products associated with the smoking experience for His flesh to rest upon.

In Corde Regis,
Joshua

I agree.

Walty,

I'm a smoker too but usually will not smoke before Mass. Not because it's required but as a form of penance and preparation for receiving the Eucharist. Perhaps if your Mass is in the afternoon you could take a break from smoking two or three hours before heading off for the church?
When I did smoke, I didnt do it before Mass...I felt bad that father would have to smell my stinky breath when he gave me communion.
I thought the fast was also to do a bit of suffering,  deny ourelves those earthly things we enjoy, coffee, cigarettes, bacon and eggs, etc
Like a mini-Lent every Sunday morning so we don't get to weak at denying ourselves.
Well It might not break the fast but, pitty the people next to you that have to put up with the smell on your clothes and breath and smoking does raise the dopamine level so does give some plesure to some people so would we not do better to focus on the lord, and last do you want the Lord resting in a smoking car of the train?  I have seen many people though that light up right after mass, One priest would do it at our church without even taking off his vestments, he would throw on his winter cape and go outside light up and greet the people while he would smoke.

He had a real affinity for traditional things though the mass was a novas ordo, like wearing a cope at special masses, and the use of incence when ever possible as well as villionously when he did, and the chalice vail over all the stuff before putting it on the creadence table.  He also had a love of devotionals like vespers around christmas and lent, and litanys, as well as lots of guests to talk about societys, saints, and missionarys.  He was also an italian and it was his way or the highway, and was uncomprimising about marrage and baptism.

He would not baptise if the parents were not married in the catholic church, and if someone divorced they could not serve in the ministrys, even though its not a sin till they remarry after devorcing in the eyes of the church to my knowledge. He drove us greatly into debt with the rennovation, which we did pay off though, and let staff of the school go in a rather crass fashion in an attempt to save money by useing volenteers instead of payed workers for the library, and the office secritary. 
He also pressed us to give in the form of stewardship, and he took control of every aspect of the parish, it was his way or the highway. 

I loved him as a teacher though taking the time to tell me about the traditions of our faith that I wanted to learn about, he taught me how to serve the mass the properway, and founded a clothes closet, soup kitchen and low income heathcare clinic in our city.  He had a great style of taching the message of the sermon and then went over his lengthy discourse in summery right before he would finish, and got down off the lecturn  and went into the isle of the church to do his homily

signed Jeremy
I do still crave a cigarette every now and then, but I haven't started up again, by the grace of God. But really the thought of a cigarette on an empty stomach prior to a longish car ride to Mass? Well, blech.  :puke:
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Gang, I gotta tell ya, water wasn't part of the fast. I never heard of that as it is in the Spanish Missal and I lived in that time zone.. Smoking ain't fasting either, but it is a very good thing to abstain before the Eucharist. In my mind's eye I can see still men in overcoats with Fedoras on Sunday shooting their butt to the gutter before setting foot on the same city block as the Church. Let's not make this a pharisee moment. It's hard enough to work at holiness.
tim
Water was part of the fast, and there was a three day abstinence from the marital debt during different periods of Church history.  We aren't bound by older disciplines, but we can make them part of our Penance and mortification, for sure.
if you want to skip the water that is your buisness but it helps flush out toxins when you fast and helps fight a few of the hunger pains.