Spiritual detriments of cigarettes and advice on quitting?
That's a great post there tonio.  Thanks a lot.

Day 2 got less bad as it went on, I also walked around town about 6 miles and that totally took my mind off cigarettes.

Interestingly enough my dreams seem to be getting better.  I was having some very very disturbing dreams and kept praying to St. Michael to make 'em go away but they wouldn't . . . now I know why!  God wanted me to quit smoking.  Nicotine is known to affect sleep and dreaming so this makes sense.

Today I barely crave.  I have an addictive personality but cigarettes have never been too addictive for me, I'd smoke a half-pack to a pack every day for a week or two and then stop no problem, then I started smoking that way every day for months and got hooked but really that's a pretty good deal more smoking than it takes most people.  Quitting was much much easier than I thought it would be.  I also am starting to crave marijuana again like when I first quit, but I think this is just because marijuana and cigarettes are closely tied up in my subconscious (I'd always smoke a cigarette after a joint, etc.), so hopefully as my brain adjusts to being free of nicotine my craving for marijuana will start to go away again.

Alcohol seems to help craving too, oddly enough.  I know most people say they want to smoke more when they're drinking but for me it has the opposite effect.  I mean when I smoked I'd love to have a cig after my beer but now as I'm quitting . . . the alcohol sort of acts like a "replacement nicotine", it just calms me down and relaxes me so, since I'm not jumpy and anxious, I don't crave a cig so much.  Also seems like alcohol is a lot more enjoyable without nicotine.  Nicotine is a stimulant, and it's easy to not notice that it does make you "high" in a way, but now that I'm taking alcohol alone without nicotine I find it's much more relaxing, I don't get all talkative like I used to when I'd smoke and drink at the same time.  I like it a lot more this way :D

A'ight enough of this, I know I'm boring you all to death.  Plus I can't write.  Drank WAY too much coffee this morning!  I'm studying for two big bio tests (one in lab one in lecture) which are both today and so I figured "hey I'll drink a bunch of coffee to help me study" but I drank too too much  :laughing:  Oh well, I'm done studying pretty much.

INTERPHASE: G1, S, G2
MITOSIS: PROPHASE - nucleus dissolves, spindle fibers form, replicated chromosomes are attached
METAPHASE - chromosomes line up along spindle equator
ANAPHASE - the replicated chromosomes are split along the centromere
TELOPHASE - two new nuclei form, spindle fibers dissolve, centrioles replicate themselves, etc.
CYTOKINESIS: cytoplasm splits, in plant cells (and others) there's cell plate formation, animal cells have cleavage furrow, etc.

MEIOSIS!
INTERPHASE: basically same as for Mitosis
MEIOSISI: PROPHASE I - homologous chromosomes are "attached", crossover occurs, spindle fibers form
METAPHASE I - the homologous chromosomes line up on the laskdjfasdlfkjas

okay enough of that I know I know it!  Other stuff too, DNA, genetics, all that stuff, not too hard though.  did not require so much caffeine.
(11-30-2009, 07:50 PM)John92 Wrote: Dip is definitely safer, no question about it.  It's still a venial sin though, obviously.

John92,

How is dip a venial sin?  What are your reasons for it being a venial sin?

I guess for my standpoint it is a venial sin if one inordinately thinks about it more than they should (an attachment).  Also, given the fact that dip is not good for your heart might also make it a venial sin.  However, dip helps me not smoke cigarettes.  I don't drink alcohol and I don't think it would be a good idea for me to start drinking again.  Really dip is one of my only attachments that I am aware of.  I think Copenhagaen dip helps me concentrate when I study, there is something inherently good about it.

Please, let me know your reasons for thinking that dip is a venial sin...

Michael.
(12-01-2009, 05:37 PM)michael777 Wrote:
(11-30-2009, 07:50 PM)John92 Wrote: Dip is definitely safer, no question about it.  It's still a venial sin though, obviously.

John92,

I guess for my standpoint it is a venial sin if one inordinately thinks about it more than they should (an attachment).  Also, given the fact that dip is not good for your heart might also make it a venial sin.  However, dip helps me not smoke cigarettes.  I don't drink alcohol and I don't think it would be a good idea for me to start drinking again.  Really dip is one of my only attachments that I am aware of.  I think Copenhagaen dip helps me concentrate when I study, there is something inherently good about it.

Michael.

It's an attachment to creatures, an indulgence in something which is not sinful in and of itself but which is not good either.

It's also damaging to the health - not extremely so but it is, you still have a chance of getting oral cancer.  That alone would make it a venial sin, just because you know it could potentially (small chance) hurt or kill you but you do it because it's enjoyable.

Believe me I'm not judging, I have my own sins to worry about.  As far as bad things go . . . I'd think dip is pretty far down the list :D  I'd still say it's a venial sin though.
(12-01-2009, 08:31 PM)John92 Wrote:
(12-01-2009, 05:37 PM)michael777 Wrote:

John92,

Michael.

It's an attachment to creatures, an indulgence in something which is not sinful in and of itself but which is not good either.

It's also damaging to the health - not extremely so but it is, you still have a chance of getting oral cancer.  That alone would make it a venial sin, just because you know it could potentially (small chance) hurt or kill you but you do it because it's enjoyable.

Believe me I'm not judging, I have my own sins to worry about.  As far as bad things go . . . I'd think dip is pretty far down the list :D  I'd still say it's a venial sin though.

Thanks your input John92, it is always good to be encouraged to greater holiness.  That's why I asked.
I know you are not judging, if it is a venial sin than I need to give it up.  Maybe I will give dip up on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

I also need to give up a few of my friendships to God.  That is my other attachment, bad friends and bad influences.  Pray for me in that regard.
I had heaps of trouble quitting cos I'd always be like "I'm quitting". Somebody would say "oh, did you want a ciggie" and I'd say "I'm quitting".
Then one day I just went "I don't smoke" and that was it.
Still smoke the odd cigar, though.