Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today.
(11-08-2009, 03:45 PM)Martinus Wrote:
(11-08-2009, 12:47 PM)ggreg Wrote:   Mass was in Black for the Holy Souls, which was an appropriate co-incidence given it was also Rememberence Sunday. 

Actually, as an aside, I don't think it's a conincidence. I think, according to the trad calendar for England and Wales, one Requiem Mass is allowed for Remembrance Sunday.

Yup. Woking SSPX announced last week that there would be a Requiem for Remembrance Sunday, as is traditional, but I went to St. Bede's (diocesan) and thay also had a Requiem for the war dead.
(11-09-2009, 08:12 AM)ggreg Wrote: I wonder how many people have prayed for that girl's soul for early release and how many haven't bothered thinking that she's stuck there until the end of the world anyhow (a done deal)

I think her name is Amelie. She won't be released early, but we can pray that the intensity of her sufferings are lessened.
(11-09-2009, 09:22 AM)Clare Wrote:
(11-09-2009, 08:12 AM)ggreg Wrote: I wonder how many people have prayed for that girl's soul for early release and how many haven't bothered thinking that she's stuck there until the end of the world anyhow (a done deal)

I think her name is Amelie. She won't be released early, but we can pray that the intensity of her sufferings are lessened.

I had never heard of this story. Is there a supposed reason that she will be in purgatory until the end of the world?
(11-09-2009, 09:27 AM)BrevisVir55 Wrote:
(11-09-2009, 09:22 AM)Clare Wrote:

I had never heard of this story. Is there a supposed reason that she will be in purgatory until the end of the world?

Not really, Lucy askes about this girl and that's the answer, we're not given a reason.

From the apparition of 13th of May 1917.

http://www.fatima.org/essentials/facts/1917appar.asp

Quote:Lucy describes the apparition in this way:

Then Our Lady said to us: ‘Do not be afraid. I will do you no harm.’

‘Where is Your Grace from?’ I asked Her.

‘I am of Heaven.’

‘What does Your Grace want of me?’

‘I have come to ask you to come here for six months in succession, on the 13th day, at this same hour. Later on, I will tell you who I am and what I want. Afterwards, I will return here yet a seventh time.’

‘Shall I go to Heaven too?’

‘Yes, you will.’

‘And Jacinta?’

‘Also.’

‘And Francisco?’

‘Also, but he will have to say many Rosaries.’

I remembered then to ask about two girls who had died recently. They were friends of mine and they used to come to my home to learn weaving with my eldest sister.

‘Is Maria das Neves already in Heaven?’

‘Yes, she is.’

It seems to me that she was about sixteen years old.

‘And Amelia?’

‘She will be in Purgatory until the end of the world.’

It seems to me that she must have been between eighteen and twenty years old.
(11-08-2009, 05:17 PM)Fatherof2 Wrote: His excellency is welcome in Ireland anytime
:laughing:
(11-09-2009, 08:49 AM)Stephanos Wrote:
(11-09-2009, 08:12 AM)ggreg Wrote: Don't want to cause a fight, but did any Novus Ordinarians here get a sermon about Purgatory in the last week?

Yes - I went to a reverent Novus Ordo with some Latin and a good choir singing parts of a requiem Mass on Monday (there were no TLMs on that day in the area as far as I know).  The sermon was a simple but solid catechesis on Purgatory.

"reverent" Novus Ordo Mass -- that just seems odd to me.  It is like stating that one went to a quiet, calm and relaxing Metallica concert.  To me, the words -reverent- and -Novus Ordo- just don't belong together.
(11-09-2009, 08:12 AM)ggreg Wrote: Don't want to cause a fight, but did any Novus Ordinarians here get a sermon about Purgatory in the last week?
Don't worry it'll happen anyways.

Oh, and God bless Bishop Williamson!
Didn't say I wouldn't welcome it if a fight broke out.  I just wanted to see whether any NO mass had a sensible sermon on Purgatory and didn't want people to think I was being deliberately annoying.  I haven't been to a NO Sunday mass in over 30 years, so I'm in no position to know what they talk about come All Souls day.

I've certainly never been to a Novus Ordo Funeral and heard the priest instructing people to pray for the dead, so who exactly is supposed to go to Purgatory in the NO is something of a mystery, since none of the dead people getting buried ever seem to go anywhere except straight up to the Lord.  There's no Limbo anymore either according to the NO.
ggreg Wrote:He also talked about the girl mentioned at Fatima who died young and would, according to Our Lady, "be in Purgatory until the end of the world".

By way of clarification, wasn't it Jacinta's friend or cousin of has that prediction regarding Purgatory, not Jacinta herself?
(11-09-2009, 07:08 PM)ggreg Wrote: I haven't been to a NO Sunday mass in over 30 years, so I'm in no position to know what they talk about come All Souls day.

About 10 years ago I went to a Novus Ordo Mass on All Souls' Day, and the priest reassured everyone that All Souls' Day is about remembering that everyone's ok.

Or something like that.  ::)