Cigars!!!!
So what are people smoking out there???

I've just polished off a box of Padron's (Churchill Natural). Quality smoke, especially when you take the price into consideration.

I also picked up a Casa Magna (Cigar of the Year in 2008) - Great smoke... full bodied, great balance.

(11-12-2009, 11:15 PM)AMDG-IHS Wrote: So what are people smoking out there???

I've just polished off a box of Padron's (Churchill Natural). Quality smoke, especially when you take the price into consideration.

I also picked up a Casa Magna (Cigar of the Year in 2008) - Great smoke... full bodied, great balance.

I am a pipe man myself but I do like the occasional Hula Girl or Rocky Patel.
Nub is a good brand.
Just finished a box of Hoyo de Monterrey Estelo Tubos.  Fantastic smoke!

Still working on my prized box of Montecristo Vintage '93 Club Cabinet 30.

Also have some Tabamex and some JR-alternatives in the humi.  And I have a little compartment in the humi for aging some of my favorites (a few Monte's, a Romeo y Julieta, a Hoyo... soon to add some Cohiba, I think).

Best smoke I've ever enjoyed was a Montecristo #2, after aging 6 years in a humidor.
I'm sorry to say I just smoke whatever when it comes to cigars. Is there a brand that is somewhat cheap but not terrible?
(11-15-2009, 08:20 PM)Baskerville Wrote:
(11-12-2009, 11:15 PM)AMDG-IHS Wrote: So what are people smoking out there???

I am a pipe man myself but I do like the occasional Hula Girl or Rocky Patel.

I've had the Decade by Rocky Patel, it was a good smoke.
(11-15-2009, 09:52 PM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: I'm sorry to say I just smoke whatever when it comes to cigars. Is there a brand that is somewhat cheap but not terrible?

There are plenty of good cigars out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Padron is one of my personal favorites. The Anniversary series (I think it's 1926 and 1964) are pricey but they also have other cigars that are great but relatively inexpensive (under $8 a stick).

Oliva serie V is another good smoke that is inexpensive (around $6 a stick).

Check out your local cigar shop... you would be surprised at how much good stuff is out there that doesn't break the bank.
(11-15-2009, 09:40 PM)PatrickTorsell Wrote: Just finished a box of Hoyo de Monterrey Estelo Tubos.  Fantastic smoke!

Still working on my prized box of Montecristo Vintage '93 Club Cabinet 30.

Also have some Tabamex and some JR-alternatives in the humi.  And I have a little compartment in the humi for aging some of my favorites (a few Monte's, a Romeo y Julieta, a Hoyo... soon to add some Cohiba, I think).

Best smoke I've ever enjoyed was a Montecristo #2, after aging 6 years in a humidor.

Montecristo #2!!!!! What a cigar! I assume you're referring to the Cuban?  I don't think I've had a better cigar. That being said, they are not cheap, my local guy sells them for $25 each.

How do you like the JR-alternatives?
(11-15-2009, 09:40 PM)PatrickTorsell Wrote: Best smoke I've ever enjoyed was a Montecristo #2, after aging 6 years in a humidor.

If I had to choose one cigar I would probably take the Bolivar Royal Corona... I think it was the 2006 Cigar of the year. It's just an unreal smoke. Great draw, great flavor (coffee, with notes of chocolate) and great balance.

Not cheap, I think it's around $20.
(11-15-2009, 10:06 PM)AMDG-IHS Wrote: How do you like the JR-alternatives?

They're not bad for daily smokes, or while I'm working (as opposed to sitting down for a good cigar!).  They tend to have a nice draw, and burn relatively evenly.  Flavor depends on the particular blend or variety.  They make "alternatives" to just about any cigar you can think of.  I've never done a side-by-side, or one-after-another comparison to see how close they are to the real thing.  But I enjoy them, as I said, for a "common" smoke.  Probably wouldn't be my choice for a "fine" smoke.  But they're better than the $1 a stick bundle cigars.