Does It Really Say That in the Talmud?
I've heard some bad ones .. like that our Lady is a prostitute, and that our Lord is boiling in poop.  Is this nonsense really in their sacred writings?  Where is this in the Talmud?  Can someone please cite chapter verse, if such a thing exists for the Talmud?  Where can I find a Talmud?  Finally, if it is in the Talmud, or some other official sacred writing of Judaism, is this something that all modern Jews (the religious ones) actually follow, or is it like when we get called slavery apologists, etc. because it is mentioned in the Bible?  Thanks for the help.
I'm pretty sure its in there, but I wouldn't mind some references too, to help substantiate my arguments. Stvincentferrer will probably know, he's pretty clued up on the jews.
http://www.revisionisthistory.org/talmudtruth.html

there's some stuff in here.
I am not sure that anti-Semitic literature is the best source of information for the Talmud; I have read, for instance, that Justinas Pranaitis, author of the work known in English as The Talmud Unmasked, was quite ignorant of important elements of the Jewish religion, and mistranslated passages of the Talmud.
(11-15-2009, 08:08 AM)veritatem_dilexisti Wrote: I am not sure that anti-Semitic literature is the best source of information for the Talmud; I have read, for instance, that Justinas Pranaitis, author of the work known in English as The Talmud Unmasked, was quite ignorant of important elements of the Jewish religion, and mistranslated passages of the Talmud.

Yeah, that's kinda true, though some of them actually have read the whole thing and know Hebrew, etc.

Some of the passages are just misunderstood, like the idea that Jews are allowed to rape girls under 3 years - that passage is just saying that, if a girl is raped at less than 3 years of age, she can still be considered a virgin for legal purposes.

But the stuff about Jesus and His Mother is definitely there and arguments that "Yeshu" was referring to another figure are disingenuous.
The Talmud is not an inspired Book or Books. The Jews no longer pay attention to the Tanak.
tim
What is your basis for saying that Jews no longer pay attention to the Tanach?It is the Jewish Bible after all,that which contains the Torah,Scripture,Prophets,etc.I do know some people who,even though being raised in the Jewish faith,have turned their backs on all of it,and no they don't pay any attention to the Tanach,just as I have seen many Christians do the same with their faith and the Bible.The questions about the Talmud......thought we weren't supposed to discuss them on here.
(11-15-2009, 05:48 AM)JonW Wrote: I've heard some bad ones .. like that our Lady is a prostitute, and that our Lord is boiling in poop.  Is this nonsense really in their sacred writings?  Where is this in the Talmud?  Can someone please cite chapter verse, if such a thing exists for the Talmud?  Where can I find a Talmud?  Finally, if it is in the Talmud, or some other official sacred writing of Judaism, is this something that all modern Jews (the religious ones) actually follow, or is it like when we get called slavery apologists, etc. because it is mentioned in the Bible?  Thanks for the help.

The Talmud is full of weird passages. It is easy to interpret them in various ways, but they can basically deny anything that is said about it because they don't use proper names.

It is full of error, even on the most basic level. It isn't worth reading.
(11-15-2009, 11:57 AM)pander44 Wrote: What is your basis for saying that Jews no longer pay attention to the Tanach?It is the Jewish Bible after all,that which contains the Torah,Scripture,Prophets,etc.I do know some people who,even though being raised in the Jewish faith,have turned their backs on all of it,and no they don't pay any attention to the Tanach,just as I have seen many Christians do the same with their faith and the Bible.The questions about the Talmud......thought we weren't supposed to discuss them on here.

They do pay attention to it but they view it through the Talmud which uses bizarre methods of interpretation to pervert the law of God into something almost satanic.
(11-15-2009, 08:08 AM)veritatem_dilexisti Wrote: I am not sure that anti-Semitic literature is the best source of information for the Talmud; I have read, for instance, that Justinas Pranaitis, author of the work known in English as The Talmud Unmasked, was quite ignorant of important elements of the Jewish religion, and mistranslated passages of the Talmud.
Who says it's "antisemitic"? You or old foxy Abe?

Define antisemitism............

According to some, the NT is "antisemitic".

Jesus is an "Antisemite".

Ask a Palestinian if the IDF is "antisemitic".

That word is so loosely tossed around, it's ridiculous.

And the Talmud is absolutely Unchristian and Anti Catholic.

End of story.