Does It Really Say That in the Talmud?
(11-16-2009, 06:14 AM)veritatem_dilexisti Wrote:
(11-15-2009, 03:34 PM)alaric Wrote:
(11-15-2009, 08:08 AM)veritatem_dilexisti Wrote: I am not sure that anti-Semitic literature is the best source of information for the Talmud; I have read, for instance, that Justinas Pranaitis, author of the work known in English as The Talmud Unmasked, was quite ignorant of important elements of the Jewish religion, and mistranslated passages of the Talmud.
Who says it's "antisemitic"? You or old foxy Abe?

Define antisemitism............

From the OED: "Theory, action, or practice directed against the Jews."

From Wikipedia: "Antisemitism (also spelled anti-semitism or anti-Semitism) is prejudice against or hostility towards Jews, often rooted in hatred of their ethnic background, culture, or religion. While the term's etymology might suggest that antisemitism is directed against all Semitic peoples, since the term was invented it has been used to refer exclusively to hostility toward Jews."

Is that good enough for you?

Abusus non tollit usum, my friend; the abuse of the term by Abe Foxman and his ilk should not preclude others from making legitimate use thereof.

As a recent letter signed by 27 high-profile leaders of the Anglo-Jewish community states: "Anti-Semitism is far too grave a charge to be used as a political football." That does not mean that the charge of anti-Semitism cannot be made at all, particularly as regards such literature as has copious recourse to lies and distortions in order to attack Jews.
What's OED?

Wikipedia........meh.

I wouldn't give a ratz azz to what dumper Abe of anyone of of the plethora of Jews orgs dictate to us just how and when to accuse someone or something as "antisemitic". They are all pathological liars and paranoid delusional lunatics and shysters, who despise not only the Church, but any non-jew who doesn't proselytise before their "God's chosen" status.

To me antisemitism is a word or a phrase which is used against anyone (and yes that include Popes and Catholic bishops) who doesn't exactly go along with which the Jews insist is reality or Israel in any way shape or form.

As far as "copious lies and distortions", about the Judaics, let's here a few.

The reality is, anytime one might bring forth the least little bit about their own exaggerations and distortions is automatically dismissed as "antisemitic" and irrelevant and either ostracised or quite possibly incarcerated.

There are numerous examples of those being silenced, suppressed, and even imprisoned at the behest of the [i]eternal victims.

how do you propose we find an objective critical source on judaism, who has not been labelled an "antisemite" or "judaphobe" then?
The OP isn't asking whether the Talmud is anti-christian - he's asking if and where certian heretical statements are in the Talmud. I would like to know the same.
OED = Oxford English Dictionary
(11-18-2009, 07:21 AM)SinfullyLate Wrote: The OP isn't asking whether the Talmud is anti-christian - he's asking if and where certian heretical statements are in the Talmud. I would like to know the same.

Here's a list from a typical loopy anti-Talmud website, you can verify the citations at http://www.halakhah.com/

* “The ‘goyim’ are not humans. They are beasts.” (Baba Mezia 114b)

* “If you eat with a ‘goy’ it is the same as eating with a dog.” (Tosapoth, Jebamoth 94b)

* “Even the best of the ‘goyim’ should all be killed.” (Soferim 15)

* “Sexual intercourse between the ‘goyim’ is like intercourse between animals.” (Sanhedrin 74b)

* “When it comes to a Gentile in peace times, one may harm him indirectly, for instance, by removing a ladder after he had fallen into a crevice.” (Shulkan Arukh, Yoreh De ‘ah, 158, Hebrew Edition only)

* “‘Yashu’ (derogatory for ‘Jesus’) is in Hell being boiled in hot excrement.” (Gittin 57a)

[’Yashu’ is an acronym for the Jewish curse, ‘May his (Jesus) name be wiped out forevermore.’]

* Yashu (Jesus) was sexually immoral and worshipped a brick.” (Sanhedrin 107b)

* “Yashu (Jesus) was cut off from the Jewish people for his wickedness and refused to repent.” (Sotah 47a)

* “Miriam the hairdresser had sex with many men.” (Shabbath 104b, Hebrew Edition only)

* “She who was the descendant of princes and governors (the virgin Mary) played the harlot with carpenters.” (Sanhedrin 106a)

* “Christians who reject the Talmud will go to hell and be punished there for all generations.” (Rosh Hashanah 17a)

I've heard others than these but I guess this is a start.
About Yeshu/Yashu, this is vague and may not actually refer to Jesus, however, modern Jews use this to instead of Jesus's name, so whatever the original intent, modern Jews associate those statements with Jesus.
(11-18-2009, 01:12 PM)Rosarium Wrote: About Yeshu/Yashu, this is vague and may not actually refer to Jesus, however, modern Jews use this to instead of Jesus's name, so whatever the original intent, modern Jews associate those statements with Jesus.

Yeah, that and also plenty of modern-day, respectable scholars of the Talmud argue that these passages are meant to refer to Jesus.  Not that that necessarily makes it so or anything, but it's still not such a controversial position to take.
(11-15-2009, 10:28 AM)John92 Wrote: Some of the passages are just misunderstood, like the idea that Jews are allowed to rape girls under 3 years - that passage is just saying that, if a girl is raped at less than 3 years of age, she can still be considered a virgin for legal purposes.

But a 4 year old rape victim can't?
(11-21-2009, 06:10 AM)Clare Wrote:
(11-15-2009, 10:28 AM)John92 Wrote: Some of the passages are just misunderstood, like the idea that Jews are allowed to rape girls under 3 years - that passage is just saying that, if a girl is raped at less than 3 years of age, she can still be considered a virgin for legal purposes.

I was wondering that too....

Utterly unjustifiable. And if the Talmud is helping to ingrain anti-Christian attitudes in Jewish people, that's cause for real concern.
(11-21-2009, 06:10 AM)Clare Wrote:

Not sure, you'd have to ask an Orthodox rabbi   It's possible that a 4 year old victim would just be unclean and have to take a bath beginning at the time that three stars are visible in the sky with rainwater collected two weeks previous with a pH less than 7.

Talmudic law is very dense >.<