In need of a dessert recipe...
If you are going to make brownies - please don't use a box mix!  Not when I have the easiest recipe for homemade brownies that are fudgy.  I get asked for this recipe all the time!

Here it is:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (DO NOT use margarine!)
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
(11-18-2009, 10:51 AM)SearchingCatholic Wrote: If you are going to make brownies - please don't use a box mix!  Not when I have the easiest recipe for homemade brownies that are fudgy.  I get asked for this recipe all the time!

Here it is:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (DO NOT use margarine!)
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar

Um...  no flour?

( and I would NEVER use margarine ! )
Sorry about the abbreviated recipe!  My computer went nuts.  I'll start again.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (NO MARGARINE!)
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Melt butter in a saucepan on top of the stove.  Remove from heat.  Add sugar and cocoa.  Stir well.  Add eggs one at a time, stirring well.  Add every thing but the flour.  Stir.  Add flour last, stirring just until all flour disappears.  Add nuts if you want.  Pour into 8 inch square pan.  Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

My notes:  and 8 in square pan is NEVER enough.  I double the recipe and use a 9 x 13.  Don't overbake.  I have never had these fail me yet and every one thinks I am a great cook!  No one knows I got the recipe off the back of a cocoa can years ago!  The only change I made was to add the almond.  I also like these b/c there is only one pan to clean up!  We all fight over who gets to clean it - b/c all the kids want to lick the pan!

This takes all of 5 minutes to assemble.

Good Luck!
(11-18-2009, 11:00 AM)SearchingCatholic Wrote: Sorry about the abbreviated recipe!  My computer went nuts.  I'll start again.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (NO MARGARINE!)
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Melt butter in a saucepan on top of the stove.  Remove from heat.  Add sugar and cocoa.  Stir well.  Add eggs one at a time, stirring well.  Add every thing but the flour.  Stir.  Add flour last, stirring just until all flour disappears.  Add nuts if you want.  Pour into 8 inch square pan.  Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

My notes:  and 8 in square pan is NEVER enough.  I double the recipe and use a 9 x 13.  Don't overbake.  I have never had these fail me yet and every one thinks I am a great cook!  No one knows I got the recipe off the back of a cocoa can years ago!  The only change I made was to add the almond.  I also like these b/c there is only one pan to clean up!  We all fight over who gets to clean it - b/c all the kids want to lick the pan!

This takes all of 5 minutes to assemble.

Good Luck!

Awesome - Thanks!

but, what do I do with the two boxes of mix, that are in my pantry...  ???
Give them to a food pantry and NEVER buy a mix again after you have tasted those brownies!
(11-18-2009, 11:05 AM)SearchingCatholic Wrote: Give them to a food pantry and NEVER buy a mix again after you have tasted those brownies!

Wouldn't that be like cruel and unusual punishment, though?  :laughing:
(11-18-2009, 11:52 AM)Texican Wrote:
(11-18-2009, 11:05 AM)SearchingCatholic Wrote: Give them to a food pantry and NEVER buy a mix again after you have tasted those brownies!

Wouldn't that be like cruel and unusual punishment, though?   :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
+1
Well, due to time constraints, we're having store-bought pecan pie. 

And store-bought rolls, pumpkin pie, some kind of cake...
Bummer!  I wish I could make them for you!  Well, enjoy your other desserts and try the recipe some other time.  When you try it, let me know what you think,
If time permits, I'm giving them a shot this weekend; probably Sunday, the way things are going.

And thanks!  I will let you know, but we're talking about chocolate here, how can they not be good?!  ;D