Poll: Do you prefer the dialogue Mass?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

God and "Allah"
I think I saw a cartoon once where it showed Moses bringing down the 10 Commandments, and someone shouting to him that it violates Vatican II's Nostra Aetate.  Or maybe that situation was described as a half serious/half joking question of if that would happen nowadays.
No but I rhink mepost.           
Same god.

I remember a 17th century Pope saying the same thing, but unfortunately when I look for quotes of the popes on Islam all I can find are pages on the Regensburg lecture and Protestant criticisms of Catholicism :\
(11-25-2009, 09:25 PM)LRThunder Wrote: I think I saw a cartoon once where it showed Moses bringing down the 10 Commandments, and someone shouting to him that it violates Vatican II's Nostra Aetate.  Or maybe that situation was described as a half serious/half joking question of if that would happen nowadays.

Yeah I've seen that before. Moses is walking down Mount Sinai and two Priests stop him and say "oh that first one wont work, you must have not read Nostra Aetate".

It comes from the same trad cartoonist that has a cartoon of Bishop Fellay on the Phone with the Vatican.

Fellay: "Sure we'll except Vatican II when you except all the other councils"
Vatican:CLICK (phone hangs up)
Fellay: Hello...Hello?
devotedknuckles Wrote:Credo God was very clear and blunt with us in scripture he is a trinity.

Thanks for the reminder. As of yet, however, I have yet to weigh in on the question at hand. Thus far I have only stated linguistic and cultural realities.
A little bit off topic, but since I listened to a discussion about Islam in a web radio this week, I think their link could be of some use for those who enjoy theological discussions  and Gregorian Chant :

http://dc.ferrelli.cc/TCR/TCR.php

No.  Allah may be the arabic word for God, but that doesn't mean that al-ilah is the real God.
(11-25-2009, 09:51 PM)John92 Wrote: Same god.

Did you intend to make it a small "g" or is that just a typo? You are referring to the God, so it would have to be capitalized - there is only one. 

Quote:I remember a 17th century Pope saying the same thing, but unfortunately when I look for quotes of the popes on Islam all I can find are pages on the Regensburg lecture and Protestant criticisms of Catholicism :\

Hummm. Frustrating. But I would like to see that quote. If you find it, please post it. I have never heard any such thing. In light of the Scriptural passages I included, it's hard to believe that anyone could go to the Father (via worship and prayer which Nostra Aetate so highly exhorts) without first going through the Son (in other words, belief of Christ as God).
(11-25-2009, 10:51 PM)Credo Wrote:
devotedknuckles Wrote:Credo God was very clear and blunt with us in scripture he is a trinity.

Thanks for the reminder. As of yet, however, I have yet to weigh in on the question at hand. Thus far I have only stated linguistic and cultural realities.

Would you mind reconciling your thoughts with Nostra Aetate and Scripture? I would be interested to hear what you have to say.
(11-25-2009, 09:51 PM)John92 Wrote: Same god.

I remember a 17th century Pope saying the same thing, but unfortunately when I look for quotes of the popes on Islam all I can find are pages on the Regensburg lecture and Protestant criticisms of Catholicism :\

Are you thinking of the letter of Pope Gregory VII to al-Nasir?

In the West, there is the letter of Pope Gregory VII (1020-1085), written in 1076 to al-Nasir, Prince of Bougie (in Algeria), who had sent the priest Servandus to him to be ordained bishop. Over and above of the political context, the letter remains relevant: 'You and I owe this charity to one another even more than we owe it to other people, as we recognise and profess - in different ways, it is true - the One God, whom we praise and venerate each day as the creator of all and master of the world, according to the words of the Apostle: For he is our peace,; in his flesh he has made both groups into one' (Eph 2,14).

http://www.cec-kek.org/pdf/MeetingMuslims.pdf