Poll: Does libertarianism (with a small l) contradict Church teaching?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Using Artificial Contraception
Before I became Catholic, I didn't even think twice about contraception.  I was horrified when I found out that it was abortifacient.  The idea that I could have aborted babies unwillingly makes me cry. :(  

One of my best friends didn't know any thing about contraception when I met her and she had gone through RCIA and become Catholic.  Her reaction was the same as mine!  

It definitely needs to be talked about.  My NO priest is the only priest I have ever heard talk about it from the pulpit and his parish is full of large families with lots of babies! :)

I have now been Catholic and married for 12 years now.  IN that time I have had 8 pregnancies, 3 miscarriages, and 5 beautiful children.  If I had bought into the world's mentality, I might not have but 1.  Even though my husband & I learned about NFP and the immorality of birthcontrol, we still were going to use NFP to space out our kids and have 1, maybe 2.  But God used what we learned to make us more open to life. :)

Now I  just turned 40.  Will there be any more babies, my kids ask me.  They are growing up with the attitude that families and babies are blessings, & for that I am truly thankful.  We'll just have to see if the good Lord gives us any more.
Sex has never been forbidden, at any time, ever.

Sunday's are the best days to have sex, imo. Ideally, both spouses are home most of the day. ;)
¿ǝuoƃ uɹoɔdod ʇɐɥʇ s,ǝɹǝɥʍ
(11-26-2009, 10:04 PM)Arun Wrote: I'm a convert, and used to be a vewwy baaaaaaaad widdle boy....

Ditto and since I am not married my sex life is as exciting as a sea cucumbers, but no when the Future Mrs. Baskerville comes along I wont.
I went through various pagan religions, like buddhism etc, searching for the truth, before I found the truth, and became Catholic.  It was many years ago that I realized my sex drive was not so much a drive to have sex, but a drive to procreate, and that contracepted sex could never be satisfactory for man nor for woman.  It seems to me that a big reason that we have so much sex obsession in our culture, is because it is all contracepted sex, which leaves people longing for more.  Our bodies long to procreate, we were created that way. 

According to popular culture, sex relieves some sort of innate desire for orgasm.  If that were true, people would simply find a way to achieve orgasm without sexual intercourse, and there would be no need for contraception, no unintended pregnancy.  But both man and woman long to connect in such a way as to procreate, that longing is written on our being the same way the color of our eyes is written into us.  If we block that longing with a contraption, a pill etc, incongruency follows, and our psyches are damaged. It's no wonder so many people are sexually sick.
I'm engaged and using the pill for medical reasons.  Never done anything, etc, but on it because basically, I can't have a period without intense pain.  So, they found a method of preventing my cycle in full, and it's been great.  Yes, I can't have kids because I can never come off of it, but considering that I went through worse pain than when I broke my back, it's a sacrifice I can make.  I literally would pray that I wouldn't wake up, because I couldn't stand to be in such pain only to know that it would be back again.  Thank God for adoption.

For years, I assumed that I would never be able to marry because of it, but after talking to very Traditional priests on the matter and having the principle of double effect explained...I found that I was fine.
(11-27-2009, 02:03 AM)Inion_Coinin Wrote: I went through various pagan religions, like buddhism etc, searching for the truth, before I found the truth, and became Catholic.  It was many years ago that I realized my sex drive was not so much a drive to have sex, but a drive to procreate, and that contracepted sex could never be satisfactory for man nor for woman.  It seems to me that a big reason that we have so much sex obsession in our culture, is because it is all contracepted sex, which leaves people longing for more.  Our bodies long to procreate, we were created that way. 

According to popular culture, sex relieves some sort of innate desire for orgasm.  If that were true, people would simply find a way to achieve orgasm without sexual intercourse, and there would be no need for contraception, no unintended pregnancy.  But both man and woman long to connect in such a way as to procreate, that longing is written on our being the same way the color of our eyes is written into us.  If we block that longing with a contraption, a pill etc, incongruency follows, and our psyches are damaged. It's no wonder so many people are sexually sick.

This is a very good insight, I am going to think about this one..... Thanks~
(11-27-2009, 12:13 AM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: Sex is seriously (in my mind) the most important thing in a marriage, second only to bringing each other  and the children closer to God.  Doing it only and completely for the sake of getting pregnant, takes the love, joy,fun, and meaning out of it.(Some of the meaning, of course its about having babies as well)  Its the reason God made it so much fun. It brings you so close to your spouse and strengthens the marriage.
And yes coitus interruptis is forbidden. Rhythm is permissable, under circumstances.
BINGO! You hit the nail on the head. I'm so glad to hear a solid trad talking about sex in a proper way and with a truly healthy understanding.
You are right on all accounts. I've NEVER heard of not having sex during certain days of the week. Me thinks someone somewhere along the way has confused absinence from meat with absinence from sex ???
(11-27-2009, 12:32 AM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: I remember hearing once, it used to be forbidden during Lent, but of course thats not a rule anymore.
In the real old days, like early medieval times just about everything but breathing and tithing was forbidden during lent :laughing:
If there was a rule reguarding sex during lent it's long since been abolished.
(11-27-2009, 01:50 AM)Baskerville Wrote: since I am not married my sex life is as exciting as a sea cucumbers
:laughing:
(11-27-2009, 01:50 AM)Baskerville Wrote: when the Future Mrs. Baskerville comes along I wont.
:)