What I Learned Last Night (At Thanksgiving Dinner)
(11-27-2009, 11:50 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
Quote:The problem, as I think I have discovered it, is that most (and I really mean almost all) people simply don't really care one way or the other.

That is correct. That is the cause of many problems: apathy. People do whatever seems good at the time, with little regard for the future, past or present. No real principles exist for them.

It is more dangerous than anything.

Apocalypse 3:15-016 Wrote:I know thy works, that thou art neither cold, nor hot. I would thou wert cold, or hot.  But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold, not hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth.

Yes, how true this is. I see it almost all aspects of life. I work with a man who has said (and I paraphrase): "Yup, this country's going to be communist one day. We're all going to become slaves of the government. But it's going to happen one way or another so there's nothing anyone can do. Just as long as they don't bother me or my family I'm fine. You know what I mean? Huhuhuhuhuhuh."

yeah, i notice a lot of the time that people argue their standpoints aganist the Faith or against pro-life or whatever it may be, based on seemingly preconceived notions with no real evidence or research ever having been done. it gets annoying lol.
Ah who cares?  :laughing:

Seriously though, very good observation. I saw this at Thanksgiving this weekend as well-- me and my wife are the only 'prayers,' so they sort of indulge us (we don't even ask them to) or whatever they think they're doing. We're fine praying on our own, but anyway...

I also noticed another thing that's similar but I don't know what to call it. The average person *thinks* they believe in God. They say it, even going so far as to make vocalizations and noises about Jesus, something about sin or something, salvation, mumble, but they live their life exactly as everyone else who professes agnosticism or even areligiosity. This too, is quite dangerous. Perhaps worse than atheism (which at least is an assertion) than self-delusion?
(11-27-2009, 11:57 AM)RalphKramden Wrote: you're totaly correct. NOBODY CARES ABOUT ANYTHING ANYMORE

Except sports.  Wasn't football a large part of most Thanksgiving Day celebrations?
(11-29-2009, 05:10 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Ah who cares?  :laughing:

Seriously though, very good observation. I saw this at Thanksgiving this weekend as well-- me and my wife are the only 'prayers,' so they sort of indulge us (we don't even ask them to) or whatever they think they're doing. We're fine praying on our own, but anyway...

I also noticed another thing that's similar but I don't know what to call it. The average person *thinks* they believe in God. They say it, even going so far as to make vocalizations and noises about Jesus, something about sin or something, salvation, mumble, but they live their life exactly as everyone else who professes agnosticism or even areligiosity. This too, is quite dangerous. Perhaps worse than atheism (which at least is an assertion) than self-delusion?
Yeah, I call this practical atheism. I used to be like that, if anyone had asked, I would have said, Yeah, I believe in God, but I did not in any way behave or act as if I believed in Him, I was practically identical to any atheist.

And I think that what you said relates to the lukewarm that God will vomit. An ardent atheist is at least acting on his beliefs, and is therefore oddly more open to conversion than a lukewarm mushy believer. There's just not much there with which to work.