Foul Ball: Anti-Catholicism Is the Nation's Other Pastime

By Archbishop Timothy Dolan  - FOXNews.com
(According to Pat Buchanan, the NY Times refused to print this Op Ed. . .)

Prejudice against the Catholic Church is a national pastime, as a few recent examples in the pages of the New York Times can attest.

It is not hyperbole to call prejudice against the Catholic Church a national pastime. Scholars such as Arthur Schlesinger Sr. referred to it as "the deepest bias in the history of the American people," while John Higham described it as "the most luxuriant, tenacious tradition of paranoiac agitation in American history." "The anti-Semitism of the left," is how Paul Viereck reads it, and Professor Philip Jenkins sub-titles his book on the topic "the last acceptable prejudice."

On October 14, in the pages of the New York Times, reporter Paul Vitello exposed the sad extent of child sexual abuse in Brooklyn's Orthodox Jewish community. According to the article, there were forty cases of such abuse in this tiny community last year alone. Yet the Times did not demand what it has called for incessantly when addressing the same kind of abuse by a tiny minority of priests: release of names of abusers, rollback of statute of limitations, external investigations, release of all records, and total transparency.

Instead, an attorney is quoted urging law enforcement officials to recognize "religious sensitivities," and no criticism was offered of the DA's office for allowing Orthodox rabbis to settle these cases "internally." Given the Catholic Church's own recent horrible experience, I am hardly in any position to criticize our Orthodox Jewish neighbors, and have no wish to do so, but I can criticize this kind of "selective outrage."

Of course, this selective outrage probably should not surprise us at all, as we have seen many other examples of the phenomenon in recent years when it comes to the issue of sexual abuse. To cite but two: In 2004, Professor Carol Shakeshaft documented the widespread problem of sexual abuse of minors in our nation's public schools. In 2007, the Associated Press issued a series of investigative reports that also showed the numerous examples of sexual abuse by educators against public school students. Both the Shakeshaft study and the AP reports were essentially ignored, as papers such as the New York Times only seem to have priests in their crosshairs.

more at:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/10/3...s-pastime/

Be sure to read it all.  The archbishop really tells about Maureen Dowd's anti-Catholicism.
Whether she still calls herself a Catholic, I don't know, but she is one who loves to bash the Church.

Obviously, Anti-Catholicism is despicable, but it sort of makes sense, since:

1) Even though the modern conception of America was founded by Protestants who were fleeing Catholic and other Protestant (i.e. Anglican) persecution, Catholicism is the largest single "denomination" in America, so it makes a giant target
2) The unique international leadership of Catholicism (it is led by a foreigner, the Pope) as compared to other "denominations" (even though the Episcopal Church is a province of the Anglican Communion, the Archbishop of Canterbury has no real authority over any Episcopalians, etc.)
3) We are an anti-authoritarian and very "modern" society in general and Catholicism is diametrically opposed to this (we are authoritarian/hierarchical in nature and we are against modernism in theory)
(11-29-2009, 01:50 AM)nsper7 Wrote: Obviously, Anti-Catholicism is despicable, but it sort of makes sense, since:

1) Even though the modern conception of America was founded by Protestants who were fleeing Catholic and other Protestant (i.e. Anglican) persecution, Catholicism is the largest single "denomination" in America, so it makes a giant target
2) The unique international leadership of Catholicism (it is led by a foreigner, the Pope) as compared to other "denominations" (even though the Episcopal Church is a province of the Anglican Communion, the Archbishop of Canterbury has no real authority over any Episcopalians, etc.)
3) We are an anti-authoritarian and very "modern" society in general and Catholicism is diametrically opposed to this (we are authoritarian/hierarchical in nature and we are against modernism in theory)

Those are not reasons why it makes sense. These are:

John 15:18-19 Wrote:If the world hate you, know ye, that it hath hated me before you.  If you had been of the world, the world would love its own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you

Apocalypse 12:17 Wrote:And the dragon was angry against the woman: and went to make war with the rest of her seed, who keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ
I don't mean to be mean but do tell how English Puritans and Quakers and Cof E were trying to escape Catholic persecution? Or perhaps you were conflating the founding, with the next 200 years of immigration? The way I see it; this is a protestant country through and through, which is trying to kill Catholicism. We were the last to receive religious freedom in this land.
tim
(11-29-2009, 12:46 PM)timoose Wrote: I don't mean to be mean but do tell how English Puritans and Quakers and Cof E were trying to escape Catholic persecution? Or perhaps you were conflating the founding, with the next 200 years of immigration? The way I see it; this is a protestant country through and through, which is trying to kill Catholicism. We were the last to receive religious freedom in this land.
tim

knowing something about history does help, doesn't it?  i wonder how many people know that the biggest mass lynching in american history was of italian catholics in new orleans.

anyway, the point of the OP is that Archbishop Dolan gave some good examples of anti-Catholicism in the US in 2009. 

it's also important to note that the NY Times refused to publish his op ed, perhaps because it showed how guilty the paper is of anti-Catholicism.

Those who want to take the uncontrolled power over the world, naturally are against anything which could resist them.

The Catholic Church is the largest organization, so for them it is necessary to break the unity from inside, and discredit in the eye of outsiders.

We shall pray with our Lord: 'ut unum sint', and we should keep firmly that we are the One, Saint Catholic and Apostolic Church, even with the wounds.
(11-29-2009, 01:50 AM)nsper7 Wrote: 3) We are an anti-authoritarian and very "modern" society in general and Catholicism is diametrically opposed to this (we are authoritarian/hierarchical in nature and we are against modernism in theory)

Ummm...no...modern societies ARE authoritarian...which is another reason they and their practitioners and apologists hate the Church...because the Church gives freedom
(11-30-2009, 10:02 AM)Scipio_a Wrote:
(11-29-2009, 01:50 AM)nsper7 Wrote: 3) We are an anti-authoritarian and very "modern" society in general and Catholicism is diametrically opposed to this (we are authoritarian/hierarchical in nature and we are against modernism in theory)

Ummm...no...modern societies ARE authoritarian...which is another reason they and their practitioners and apologists hate the Church...because the Church gives freedom

You could certainly make that argument (i.e. real freedom is freedom from sin, etc.), but I agree with OP:

Modern society is "do whatever you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone!  Don't let anyone tell you how to behave!"

Catholic society is "love God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself."  Catholicism is about temperance, prudence, patience, selflessness, humility, obedience . . . basically everything popular American society has outright rejected.

People think it's weird to be a practicing Catholic because they understand, whether consciously or not, that Catholicism is *not* American.  It's too old to be American, way too old, and we're at odds with America on many things.  Sure there have always been Catholics here, but at the end of the day this country was founded on low-church Protestantism and rationalist Deism.

This country does tend to be anti-hierarchy...

I absolutely agree. The whole freedom=slavery, peace=war thing promised in 1984 has settled in comfortably. The frog has been boiled.