Need Some Advice
After I stopped attending the NO and attending the TLM exclusively I stopped contact with my spiritual director because I knew he would disapprove and I did not want him forbidding me to go and as my spiritual director I did not know how much weight him "forbidding me to go" would have. He called the other day when I was out and I want to respond but I want to be careful about it. He is an excellent priest and I admire him and I do not want to show him any disrespect whatsoever. If Father tells me not to go to the SSPX would I be obliged to obey him as my spiritual director? Would it be prudent to tell him the full extent of my "rad trad" views? He's as traditional as a NO parish priest can be expected to be so if any priest around here would understand its him. Though he has spoken against the SSPX on numerous occasions and warned me about them actually. Any advice?

Thanks
(11-30-2009, 07:34 PM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: After I stopped attending the NO and attending the TLM exclusively I stopped contact with my spiritual director because I knew he would disapprove and I did not want him forbidding me to go and as my spiritual director I did not know how much weight him "forbidding me to go" would have. He called the other day when I was out and I want to respond but I want to be careful about it. He is an excellent priest and I admire him and I do not want to show him any disrespect whatsoever. If Father tells me not to go to the SSPX would I be obliged to obey him as my spiritual director? Would it be prudent to tell him the full extent of my "rad trad" views? He's as traditional as a NO parish priest can be expected to be so if any priest around here would understand its him. Though he has spoken against the SSPX on numerous occasions and warned me about them actually. Any advice?

Thanks

If you want to continue to use him as your spiritual director, you will have to obey him.

If he's as good a priest as you say, then you should be able to discuss anything and everything with him - including the full extent of your "rad trad" views.  It's important, though, that you listen to what he says, as well.
Assuming that you have left the NO because you recognise that it does not convey the Catholic faith, you should be upfont as Brevis stated with your spiritual director.  After speaking with him, even if he forbids you, continue assisting at the TLM.  It may end up that the relationship will be strained or severed, but, remember, God first served.  I don't know if your current spiritual director was ordained in the old rite or new(post 1968).  That would be another area of concern. 

Joe
Not to put too fine a point on it...but you left the NO because of what it is...and you know what that means...even for a priest you like as a person and who seems to give good advice and direction...if you pay him too much mind as far as that is concerned...the poison he imbibes daily in his NO work could spill into you....I would just tell him..."Yep, I now attend the SSPX because it's the only way I see to maintain the Faith and have a fully traditional religious life, despite all the false press and rumors that are spread from all side about them."  

If he wants to get into it, just say, "look, it's a really long subject...read these books....and give him the reading list I post to new comers who are open to the Faith."  -  you might have a couple of points prepared so he has something to chew over...like not wanting to pay for sex crimes, and wanting fully traditional sacraments

Then I'd tell him I'm going to send him the priest's packet offered by the SSPX so that he can offer TLMs.

Be a man, own your life....who cares if people suffering under false notions are upset or sorry for you, or disappointed?   The best you can do is send him the packet if he sounds like he'd even look at it...it's free

Free Mass kit, Free books, and free subscription to Si Si No NO

http://sspx.org/for_the_clergy.htm

But above all...be up front...you just may be the person that puts him on the road to recovery...puts him on the road to the Faith....pulls him out of the sewer and into the catacombs.
You are not a "rad trad." You are Catholic.
Well my former director was a priest with the work (opus dei) and we became fairly close he was a very holy priest. And he actually encouraged me to go to the tlm. Though he was tpouchy about the sspx he was the most friendly no priest I have ever spoke to abpout it and even prayed for them to get juristiction again. I know many here have issues with opus dei but he was one hell pof a priest and director. What I'm trying to say is u trust ur director with your soul so u should be honest with him about everything. I dunno u but after a number of confessions with my director I doubt I would be able to tell him anything else that could possibly shake him.
U should meet with him and have a good talk u never know. He cpuld very well encpurage u too.
Good directors are really hard to find. So remember that.
Thanks for the advice. I'll talk to the good Father today.

pax
um unless youve entered a religious order or taken a vow of obedience I see no obligation to follow bad advice no matter how nice the source. IMO