Poll: Which Mass do you attend?..
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The State of Isreal
Please explain.
I voted for "Other".

I support Israel insofar as I believe that, now that it exists, it has a right to existence and to defence thereof.

I do not support it inasmuch as I oppose its illegal occupation of various territories.
Governments come and go, but the people are the most important. I don't care what sort of government it has as long as it is just. The current one is not just.
I do not support the state of Israel insofar as its very existence is premised on racial/ethnic preference to Jews uber alles, be they Christian or Muslim.  Also, the state of Israel (not necessarily the people) has sponsored spying on my country's government, refuses to submit itself to scrutiny for war crimes committed, and encourages treasonous behavior among American citizens (e.g. AIPAC).

As an aside, there are very few states on this planet I would support.  However, there are many peoples and countries I would support.
Someone once told me that God promised Abraham that the land of Israel would be entitled to the Jews for all time. Is this in the bible and is this true?
(12-01-2009, 01:28 PM)serviam Wrote: Someone once told me that God promised Abraham that the land of Israel would be entitled to the Jews for all time. Is this in the bible and is this true?

The "Jews" did not exist at the time of Abraham.

I think his seed is "entitled", but I also think it is spiritual, which would mean the Church is entitled.
(12-01-2009, 01:34 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(12-01-2009, 01:28 PM)serviam Wrote: Someone once told me that God promised Abraham that the land of Israel would be entitled to the Jews for all time. Is this in the bible and is this true?
I think his seed is "entitled", but I also think it is spiritual, which would mean the Church is entitled.

That's what I figured.
(12-01-2009, 01:34 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

The "Jews" did not exist at the time of Abraham.

Exactly.  If we play out that promise in the spiritual context in which we understand the whole Old Covenant, then we must understand Abraham's descendants as spiritual descendants, not necessarily those genetically related.
We should pray for their conversion.
(12-01-2009, 03:02 PM)tradcathgay Wrote: We should pray for their conversion.
ditto