Alcoholism
Jonathan,

You're a good man. God made you, and despite all sin and foolishness, He loves you. You don't have to feel it. Knowing it is enough.

You have alcoholism in your family, or something like it. That's a good sign, because you know what you have to do: Stop it right now. If you can't stop at one beer or one scotch or one glass of wine...If you can't control your intake and get super wasted every night...No. That is not good. I don't think it is mortally sinful, but it is irresponsible, and you are culpable for some wrong. The good news is there are places to receive emotional, spiritual and psychological help. See a priest, and see a professional who can help you get out of this substance reliance and find real joy in actively loving others (family, friends & strangers as Elizabee made a great suggestion).

You know, I am saddened terribly by your situation. I rather enjoy alcohol. All kinds. Its wonderful and delicious and it does make one feel very nice, especially in the company of loved ones when you're having a good time. I also find it stimulating (though it is a depressant naturally) when it comes to writing, reading, just plain thinking...even praying. I feel like I can focus my whole person on any given idea, and there is a confidence that emerges socially too. But I can control my consumption, and I don't *need* it in order to feel decent, or even ridiculously good, to have a laugh...Sadly, I think you do have a problem, and this is something you'll have to live without. Something that most people can enjoy without having to suffer like yourself. And you will suffer. You will. It will hurt. It will really hurt. Repeat it again and again until it sinks in. It will really, really hurt you. This is unfortunately how God makes saints out of us. Out of our hurt and our guilt and our worry and our sin and our selfishness and our self-loathing and our despair. But fortunately, you know, God does do that. He does act in our lives for our good. You can fall and still get up again, with grace under your feet. Ask for the help, even if its the tenth time, for the tenth thing you've become glued to. Go to confession and for the sake of everything good, true and beautiful don't you dare give up.

I will pray for you brother. Pray to the Holy Spirit every morning, noon and night. Ask for grace, and ask that you might be given the ability to see grace in the world. It will inspire you.

Pray to Matt Talbot, John.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Talbot
(01-16-2010, 09:11 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote: Pray to Matt Talbot, John.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Talbot

Inspiring story.
(01-16-2010, 09:26 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-16-2010, 09:11 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote: Pray to Matt Talbot, John.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Talbot

Inspiring story.

Wow. Not a bad helper you have Jonathan! Invoke his aid, and the Blessed Virgin (as always) often.
2 Ecclesiasticus 31:36  found 2
Wine drunken with moderation is the joy of the soul and the heart.

“Drink to the point of hilarity.”    St.Thomas Aquinas

(01-18-2010, 07:00 PM)sheep101 Wrote: 2 Ecclesiasticus 31:36   found 2

Wanna play Protestant and toss Bible verses around?
1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written to you, not to keep company, if any man that is named a brother, be a fornicator, or covetous, or a server of idols, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner: with such a one, not so much as to eat.

1Corinthians 6:9-10 Know you not that the unjust shall not possess the kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor the effeminate, nor liers with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor railers, nor extortioners, shall possess the kingdom of God.

So what r u saying. Besides playin prod.
Sip
If u have a plm with booze don't sip it. Its that's simple. If u don't have a plm sip and enjoy
(01-18-2010, 07:31 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote:

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written to you, not to keep company, if any man that is named a brother, be a fornicator, or covetous, or a server of idols, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner: with such a one, not so much as to eat.

1Corinthians 6:9-10 Know you not that the unjust shall not possess the kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor the effeminate, nor liers with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor railers, nor extortioners, shall possess the kingdom of God.

You think its Protestant to quote Bible verses? How silly,sad and ignorant, you are living up to the stereotype of Catholics being
willfully ignorant of the scriptures. If have a drinking problem the problem is not the drink the problem is you.
(01-20-2010, 10:41 AM)sheep101 Wrote:
(01-18-2010, 07:31 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote:

You think its Protestant to quote Bible verses? How silly,sad and ignorant, you are living up to the stereotype of Catholics being
willfully ignorant of the scriptures. If have a drinking problem the problem is not the drink the problem is you.
And how silly, sad, and ignorant that you are living up to the stereotype of Catholics being drunks!

It is VERY Protestant to take one line out of context and quote it as a response. And that's just what you did.
First, that the Bible says it's good to drink a little, then another view point saying to drink to hilarity. That's drunk. When clearly, as I posted, the Bible also speaks against overuse. It's very Protestant to take one line and run with it. That's the basis of the whole Rapture thing. The basis of Pentecostalism/Charismania. The basis of umpteen varieties of Prots!

Did you even read the original post? He has a problem. He recognizes it. To encourage him to go ahead and drink is wildly irresponsible and actually uncharitable. If you knew anything at all about alcoholics, you'd know there is no middle ground. They either drink, or they don't. No middle ground, no moderation.

And the fact that one person suffers from the malady doesn't mean alcohol is wrong - the verse I tossed back at you said nothing at all about alcohol. Nor did I say anything about alcohol being evil. Don't reply to what I didn't write! But it did mention drunkenness. And that was mentioned in the original thread. "Is it a sin to get buzzed every day?  Is it a sin to drink 3 or 4 beers every evening?  Is it a mortal sin?  Venial?"

Clearly, you haven't read what Jonathan wrote.