Oscar Wilde
Is anyone here a fan of Oscar Wilde? Do you think his works (especially the picture of dorian grey) are acceptable for a Catholic to read?
(12-10-2009, 03:20 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: Is anyone here a fan of Oscar Wilde? Do you think his works (especially the picture of dorian grey) are acceptable for a Catholic to read?

I am not sure about all his stuff but I myself liked the Picture of Dorian Grey.
The Happy Prince and The Selfish Giant are worth more than all his clever stuff, IMO. You can't beat The Happy Prince.  :)
Benno Wrote:The Selfish Giant

I was justing thinking of that story the other day. How moving.
Servus_Maria Wrote:Do you think his works (especially the picture of dorian grey) are acceptable for a Catholic to read?

Everything is acceptable for a well-versed, prudent Catholic to read.
"Blackadder: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar — the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitimate children, world heavyweight boxing champion and author of the best-selling pamphlet "Why I Like To Do It With Girls." And Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie."

I like his books well enough.
I have to admit, I'm a fan of the Aesthetes, Decadents, and Symbolists... everything from Wilde to Rimbaud to Poe. Obviously not big on everything they stand for, but the writing, in and of itself, is very beautiful and captivating.
Not a big fan. I don't doubt his talent though.
I'm more a yeatsean u know trapped in suffocating twilights roaming lost between countryside and city. Between a dream and somber dreams. Devoured by the hounds beside me.
Sip
Yeats was a better man and a better writer imho
Sip

ah, but did Yeats have an exit line as good as Wilde's?  it's said that when Wilde lay dying in a Paris hotel, he said "Either this wallpaper goes or I do." 

(12-10-2009, 09:58 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: ah, but did Yeats have an exit line as good as Wilde's?   it's said that when Wilde lay dying in a Paris hotel, he said "Either this wallpaper goes or I do." 

I thought you were going to refer to his asking for viaticum and entrance into the Catholic Church. 

Despite being a wicked sinner, he actually believed that stories had to have a moral for them to be worth reading.  A number of his friends became priests., and if you want a good read, check out Joseph Pearce's biography.