Oscar Wilde
(12-10-2009, 10:45 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote:
(12-10-2009, 09:58 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: ah, but did Yeats have an exit line as good as Wilde's?   it's said that when Wilde lay dying in a Paris hotel, he said "Either this wallpaper goes or I do." 

I thought you were going to refer to his asking for viaticum and entrance into the Catholic Church. 

Despite being a wicked sinner, he actually believed that stories had to have a moral for them to be worth reading.   A number of his friends became priests., and if you want a good read, check out Joseph Pearce's biography.

i should have, but it seemed rather flippant in relation to the wallpaper comment and i sort of thought people here would know about his deathbed conversion.  i'm glad you brought it up, though.  sinners can come to good ends, which is good news for us all, even if we're not well-known for our sins as wilde was.  from what i know of him, his sins were fewer than his reputation suggests.  today some men boast of having hundreds of sexual relationships outside of marriage and i'm not sure wilde had any except with the one young man he was besotted with, whose name i can't recall.

(12-10-2009, 12:24 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: today some men boast of having hundreds of sexual relationships outside of marriage and i'm not sure wilde had any except with the one young man he was besotted with, whose name i can't recall.

The young man was Lord Alfred Douglas.

[Image: Wildeanddouglas.jpg]

Here's an article you might find interesting, from the Telegraph.

all i could remember about him was that he was the son of the Marquis of Queensberry.

thanks for the link to the article, it reminded me of The Importance of Being Earnest, which i like better than The Portrait of Dorian Grey.  i can't remember The Ballad of Reading Gaol too well but I think i liked it when i read it, should read it again.  i had read something about the Vatican and Wilde last year but the article you linked to was more detailed.

Wilde was very popular in the US when he toured here, prior to the scandal.
San Miniato

See, I have climbed the mountain side
Up to this holy house of God,
Where once that Angel-Painter trod
Who saw the heavens opened wide,

And throned up the crescent moon
The Virginal white Queen of Grace
Mary! Could I but see thy face
Death could not come at all too soon.

O crowned by God with thorns and pain!
Mother of Christ! O mystic wife!
My heart is weary of this life
And over-sad to sing again.

O crowned by God with love and flame!
O crowned by Christ the Holy One!
O listen ere the searching sun
Show to the world my sin and shame.

- Oscar Wilde, 1881

http://www.catholiceducation.org/article...l0093.html

http://www.catholiceducation.org/article...l0010.html
SCG, your first link is wonderful. The good Passionist's recounting of his last days was very moving.

I have taken, some years ago, one of Wilde's quotes as my personal motto: “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.”
De Profundis is pretty moving too. The poor bastard had a sensitive soul, that's for sure. It's ironic that he's a poster boy for gays, because his brief experiment with that bloke was just the same as Mick Jagger's or whatever other sensualist's experiment, pushing boundaries of convention etc. The disgust he felt about it is documented, but the modern world writes that off as a product of his unjust treatment and descent into madness etc. I don't doubt that he went pretty mad, but I'd like to believe he died trying to embrace Catholicism.
He is certainly a memorable figure. I really like De Profundis, but haven't read anything else of his - though I have read a good bit about him.

I would say go ahead and devour his writings. He is very human. He might wake you up to feelings you did not want to realize you had. There is power in that.
Joseph Pearce shows that Wilde had intended to convert to Catholicism throughout his life and his deathbed conversion was the consummation of this lifelong desire.  "De Profundis" is quite good. 
(12-11-2009, 02:43 AM)Benno Wrote: It's ironic that he's a poster boy for gays, because his brief experiment with that bloke

His lover converted to Catholicism a few years of Wilde's death I think.
That doesn't surprise me. Doesn't mean what he did was good though!  Smile