Our Lady of Gudalupe
Joshua Wrote:Thank God that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I suggest you take a look at popular religious books in English. Besides a few publishers which stubbornly refuse to modernize their language (hence there are books still being published with Thee/Thine, ironically informal English words for You/Your which ceased being used centuries ago), He/Him referring to God is on the decline amongst English-speakers. This isn't a respect issue, but one of readability. English translations of Pope Benedict's recent books do not capitalize He/Him when talking of God, for instance.
(12-12-2009, 10:04 PM)Credo Wrote:
Joshua Wrote:Thank God that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I suggest you take a look at popular religious books in English. Besides a few publishers which stubbornly refuse to modernize their language (hence there are books still being published with Thee/Thine, ironically informal English words for You/Your which ceased being used centuries ago), He/Him referring to God is on the decline amongst English-speakers. This isn't a respect issue, but one of readability. English translations of Pope Benedict's recent books do not capitalize He/Him when talking of God, for instance.

The vast majority of the recently published writings and books I either own or have read retain the capitalized pronouns when referring to our Lord ... and I have not encountered any sort of difficulty in regard to ease of reading. In fact I find it very convenient to know precisely when our Lord is being referenced within the context of either a sentence or a larger portion of a work. I do find our Lord being referenced to in the same manner as any common creature to be inappropriate. The capitalization of our Lord's personal pronouns may indeed fly in the face of modern English grammatical structure but I am willing to sacrifice this in order to further exalt our Lord whenever and however He is referenced. This is not some sentimental relic of a pious yesteryear, but is a timeless expression of the profound reverence we are to render to our Creator at every given opportunity.

I'd rather it not be denigrated and condescended to as a silly, disposable pious custom.

Quite frankly, up until this thread, I have never heard a single practicing Catholic in my life belittle or question the use of capitalized pronouns in reference to our Lord ...  Ever ...

In Corde Regis,
Joshua
(12-12-2009, 09:42 PM)Joshua Wrote:
Credo Wrote:In a separate vein, capitalizing He/Him when referring to Christ, or - more rarely - Her, when referring to the BVM, is a terrible eyesore in text. It trips up the reader. It's one pious custom I wouldn't mind seeing go by the wayside.

Thank God that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Wholeheartedly agree, Joshua.  I'll keep capitalizing He/Him, and Her - regardless of what anybody thinks.  If readability is an issue, tough.  Cowboy up.
(12-13-2009, 03:04 AM)Texican Wrote:
(12-12-2009, 09:42 PM)Joshua Wrote:
Credo Wrote:In a separate vein, capitalizing He/Him when referring to Christ, or - more rarely - Her, when referring to the BVM, is a terrible eyesore in text. It trips up the reader. It's one pious custom I wouldn't mind seeing go by the wayside.

Thank God that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Wholeheartedly agree, Joshua.  I'll keep capitalizing He/Him, and Her - regardless of what anybody thinks.  If readability is an issue, tough.  Cowboy up.

sorry, Credo, apart from being a 'pious custom,' that's what i was taught was proper in grammar classes in public school. 

i suspect His Holiness and many other clergy still use He and Him in referring to the Lord in their writings and their editors de-capitalize them (kind of like decapitation.)  frankly, it disturbs me to see the Lord referred to as "he" or "him."