Is It Sinful to Take a Minimalist View of Faith?
Nsper,

You should read C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce.

Hell is, in some sense, a mercy.  To be forced into the presence of God when one wants to choose otherwise would be a worse fate than hell.  He is always actively trying to save us from ourselves, but in the end, He'll give us what we ask of Him.

And I've even read some saints which say that the suffering in hell would be much worse than it is, but God even shows some mercy and holds back all of the pain that would befall the damned.
Also, resisting against God in order to find happiness is absurd.  If you feel like you'd be happiest in politics, but God disagrees then you are wrong.  What is right is always what God intends for us and is always what makes us most happy.  The Law is not arbitrary, but constitutive of our happiness.  It exists because these are the things that are actually good and will lead to our happiness and flourishing as human beings.
Quote:Nsper,

Hell is, in some sense, a mercy.  To be forced into the presence of God when one wants to choose otherwise would be a worse fate than hell.  He is always actively trying to save us from ourselves, but in the end, He'll give us what we ask of Him.

And I've even read some saints which say that the suffering in hell would be much worse than it is, but God even shows some mercy and holds back all of the pain that would befall the damned.

But why all the torment to begin with?
(12-13-2009, 10:50 PM)nsper7 Wrote:
Quote:Nsper,

But why all the torment to begin with?

The torment is all on us.  We chose it in the Garden and we continue to choose it in our own lives.  God is the Great Physician.  He seeks nothing but our total happiness and well-being.  We just continually run from Him thinking that to be without Him is true happiness.  And that is absurd.
(12-13-2009, 10:50 PM)nsper7 Wrote: But why all the torment to begin with?
Because justice is demanded when one spits on the infinite.  And that justice is infinite.  But Christ's mercy is infinite.  Those in Hell reject Christ of their own will.  They choose the justice instead.
(12-13-2009, 10:52 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote:
(12-13-2009, 10:50 PM)nsper7 Wrote: But why all the torment to begin with?
Because justice is demanded when one spits on the infinite.  And that justice is infinite.  But Christ's mercy is infinite.  Those in Hell reject Christ of their own will.  They choose the justice instead.

So then the choice is accept Christ or suffer for all eternity, correct?
1.Our emotions are important but they are so fickle and should not necessarily be trusted when trying to figure out what God wants from us.

2. Yes "Keep the Commandments". However we are meant to penetrate the deeper meaning behind these precepts. The Pharisees had a legalistic mind and forgot the two greatest commandments. Christ reprimanded them for this attitude.
I think all this guys wants is attention...A forum for his antics..
Quote:However we are meant to penetrate the deeper meaning behind these precepts.

And if we refuse?

Quote:I think all this guys wants is attention...A forum for his antics..

The same could be said about most Traditional Catholics. I mean, why should I obsess about the TLM and the Pre-Vatican 2 Church or will I be condemned to Hell for going to the NO and being obedient to the Church in the Post-Vatican 2 Era?
(12-13-2009, 10:53 PM)obscurus Wrote: 2. Yes "Keep the Commandments". However we are meant to penetrate the deeper meaning behind these precepts. The Pharisees had a legalistic mind and forgot the two greatest commandments. Christ reprimanded them for this attitude.

It is important to always keep the Beatitudes in mind when looking at the Commandments.  They are the fulfillment of the Law.  The Law is not abolished, but it is not enough to simply do this and avoid that.  Christ, in his making all things new, perfects the idea of the Law and decrees that we totally change our being into a certain type of thing.  To be Christian is not to follow a set of legalistic rules, but to have a certain spiritual attitude which can be summed up in the Beatitudes (which find their fulfillment in Jesus Christ).