Those who use profanity should be banned.
(12-17-2009, 08:04 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: First of all no one is gangin up on anyone. Least of dear melita. If anything. Is tradmaverick who was attacked at the beggining of this. Not melita
And to me vulgarity and the profane are not the same
Also I do admit I'm gonna thow that shakespear didy at quan next time he tries funny bussiness with me in chi town when I pick up a copy from him but ill embelish
"U breed of a fpul pimped deformituy begun thou"
Somethin to that effect
Sip sip

Don't care, DK -- the argument is still about obscenity/profanity/vulgarity (they're often synonyms in the English language, regardless of what you think) in mixed company *when ladies are present* and *take offense* as *on this blog.*  And it's not manly. 

And go back to the first post -- it was Tradmaverick who came charging in slinging words like "Pharisee" around against those who took offense. 

Rosarium mentioned that there's no difference "between saying "communist" and "co*******" when the reader knows what was meant." Yes, but how about if Quis instituted a filter for cuss words that has the same amount of asterisks no matter which cuss word is used? Then we'll just know an inappropriate word was used. I don't know why Quis doesn't just filter out bad language. The member that wants to use those words can go hog wild, but nobody has to see it. I think Quis doesn't want this because he doesn't want to treat us like children, but he also says that what is bad for children is usually bad for adults too, so I think he should just put a filter on the forum.

No bonofucius.
Tradmaverick was dead on when he called it what it is pharisaical. Or more to the point those who got their whips in a knot over it are pharisees.
Truth hurts. Whather u accept it or not. But take heart bobofucious cuz no pain no gain
Sip
OK, well, since the original topic was "Those who use profanity should be banned", here is the "unofficial" program by which I act:

if it's a one-time "slip" that isn't blasphemous, I usually ignore it.
If it's a f-word carpet bombing or such by someone who clearly just got angry, they usually just get a vacation to cool off.
If it's on purpose and persistent and deranges the forum or is clearly intentionally blasphemous they get banned (but may be able to come back after talking to me in e-mail; we all make mistakes).

It is also objectively better and towards greater spiritual progress if we don't use profanity and don't curse, etc.  We should also be polite and aware of the image we give of the Church when in one breath we say we're Catholic and then follow it up with something either edifying or profane.  No one's perfect, and I'm surely in a glass house throwing a stone there (especially when I post metal videos), but we should try to keep this in mind.

And I encourage offering up potty mouth for Advent for those of us who suffer from it.  I have been trying myself.  And thanking Jesus for opportunities to suffer a temporal penance when we stub our toe instead of screaming a vulgarity.  This is something I will work on as well.

My suggestion: Everyone should just have a blessed Advent and not get hung up on this topic.

:fish:

Meh.  Thread locked but only because we should spend our time on more useful and/or edifying topics.  I'm sure this one will come around again.

(12-17-2009, 08:29 PM)stvincentferrer Wrote: Rosarium mentioned that there's no difference "between saying "communist" and "co*******" when the reader knows what was meant." Yes, but how about if Quis instituted a filter for cuss words that has the same amount of asterisks no matter which cuss word is used? Then we'll just know an inappropriate word was used. I don't know why Quis doesn't just filter out bad language. The member that wants to use those words can go hog wild, but nobody has to see it. I think Quis doesn't want this because he doesn't want to treat us like children, but he also says that what is bad for children is usually bad for adults too, so I think he should just put a filter on the forum.

Oh, just to answer this, you have it partly right.  The other part of the answer is that people will just find ways around it like: sh!t or isht or some such so it becomes an exercise in futility.