Fr. Z sees red and does black deeds against Bishop Williamson
Fr Z's a clown. I could never understand how a Priest can spend this much time blogging and playing on the net. Doesnt he offer Mass, pray the breviary and attend his other Priestly duties.
(12-16-2009, 08:26 PM)Baskerville Wrote: Fr Z's a clown. I could never understand how a Priest can spend this much time blogging and playing on the net. Doesnt he offer Mass, pray the breviary and attend his other Priestly duties.

Who made you judge over living beings? Just curious.
Everything that can be said of Fr. Z has been said. One of the red flags for me was that he has a paypal button where you can donate to buy him a cup of coffee.  :o
I am not about to spend good money to buy some overeager priest, with too much time on his hands, his favorite cup of espresso so that he can continue waste time with the dribble he writes and slack off.  Go be a priest and sacrifice for sin more often.

On the plus side, for whatever reason, I now have access to his blog. He unbanned me. I was banned for a year because he found out I believed in God.  ;D
I disagree with Fr Z's analysis of the situation. Bishop Fellay is a good leader and if Bishop Williamson meant that A) all the sacraments performed by NO priests are invalid, or B) he wants to stop all talks with Rome, I am quite sure Fellay would have rebuked him. It's much more plausible that he simply meant the NO fosters bad intentions and improper forms, and he doesn't want the SSPX to be sucked into that.
Now, that said, many of the comments made here are trivial and silly. If you don't happen to like bird watching, that's one of a thousand hobbies you are not required to enjoy. But some do. I don't happen to like it either, but that's my own personal taste an not something I will condemn others for liking. He likes great food, coffee, and wine? Are we not allowed to like those things anymore? Did I miss the part where we all became Puritan? If you happen to find it conducive to temptations of gluttony, then gee: don't click the link to his site! The Food Network has lots of pictures of delicious food and drink, too. No one's making us go anywhere on the internet.

(12-16-2009, 08:58 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: On the plus side, for whatever reason, I now have access to his blog. He unbanned me. I was banned for a year because he found out I believed in God.  ;D
Hyperbole, anyone?  :)
(12-16-2009, 10:21 PM)Anastasia Wrote:
(12-16-2009, 08:58 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: On the plus side, for whatever reason, I now have access to his blog. He unbanned me. I was banned for a year because he found out I believed in God.  ;D
Hyperbole, anyone?

It is a literary device! :laughing:

Obviously it was meant as a joke and exaggeration. I actually got banned for quoting St. John Chrysostom. That is no joke. I am dead serious. I guess this Doctor of the Church was too strong for him and his liberal sensabilities. 
(12-16-2009, 10:21 PM)Anastasia Wrote: Now, that said, many of the comments made here are trivial and silly. If you don't happen to like bird watching, that's one of a thousand hobbies you are not required to enjoy. But some do. I don't happen to like it either, but that's my own personal taste an not something I will condemn others for liking. He likes great food, coffee, and wine? Are we not allowed to like those things anymore? Did I miss the part where we all became Puritan? If you happen to find it conducive to temptations of gluttony, then gee: don't click the link to his site!

Some of the criticisms about Fr. Z's bird watching were too much, and exaggerated. There is nothing wrong with it. It is a harmless hobby. Considering what Homo priests and bishops are doing with their time nowadays in comparison. I actually think it is kind of cute(I can't find a better word), since I am an animal lover myself. There is nothing wrong with Catholics enjoying good food, wine, or coffee. We are not Puritans. Priests can enjoy these things too.
However, I think that posters felt he spent TOO much time blogging about it and with too many unnecessary pictures and photos. Things are meant to be enjoyed in moderation and private.

Also asking people to actually buy him coffee is just too much. Scandalous and shameful. He is a priest and good standing who shouldn't be asking for such trivial things. A priest should have his priestly dignity.
(12-16-2009, 01:37 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: There is nothing wrong with Catholics enjoying good food, wine, or coffee. We are not Puritans. Priests can enjoy these things too.

Just to clarify I didn't mean to be overly offensive about Father when I mentioned his food. I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of a priest eating such expensive food so regularly, even on Fridays and during lent. I'm sure the money and time that went into its preparation could have been better used.
Gerard and Baskerville

(12-16-2009, 08:24 PM)Baskerville Wrote:
(12-16-2009, 02:20 PM)anthony Wrote:   There is no Newchurch,

Sure there is the Post Conciliar Church is not the same Church as that of pre 1965 in doctrine and liturgy it a whole new protestant denomination.

The post-conciliar Church is the Church of Christ. There is no other. The doctrine has not changed, and if it appears to have changed because of the personal errors of certain clergymen, then our eyes are not seeing the reality, but an illusion - a similar illusion to that experienced by the instigators of the Protestant Revolt. The Church's rites may have been tampered with, but with no affect on their validity and efficacy. We may choose to reject them. But it cannot be because they are positively wrong or evil; but merely because of how  and why they came to be, and what they might suggest with a little nudge in the wrong direction. Bishop Williamson did not voice his opinion in his way. Instead he robbed me of my trust in the promise of Christ with his dramatic speech. If he were less a sophist he might actually make friends with some we consider "neo-cons".

And no, I don't think the only John Calvins are the liberals. There are many trads who have a ****ed up view of the Church, doctrine, and who, as products of their age, have minds that are unhinged, off the rails, sick. At least +Williamson concedes the point that there is a grey area to some of what we can experience. Anyone who admits of a lighter or darker shade, and is shrill about it is no better than a certain raving German lunatic.

As for Fr. Z:  Do you know his station and work history? I do. I also am roughly aware of his schedule on most days. I don't stock the man, but do read his blog. He's not perfect, nor is he perfectly consistent. But who can be? No, really, I mean it? There is so much uncertainty. The only certainty is to cling to Holy Mother Church the best one knows how. I don't blame Bishop Williamson for being an SSPX bishop, nor do I blame Fr. Z for reading him with suspicion.
As someone said some months ago, while "Fr. Z" and others alike spend time blogging and criticizing the Society and Traditional Catholic resistance, the SSPX spends its time teaching the Faith and conferring the Sacraments to hundreds of souls, even in the depths of Africa and Asia.
(12-16-2009, 11:44 PM)anthony Wrote: There are many trads who have a ****ed up view of the Church, doctrine, and who, as products of their age, have minds that are unhinged, off the rails, sick.
In my experience it is Trads who understand Church doctrine the best. They have studied it more thoroughly than anyone else. That is why they are so confident of the truth.
Trads are a product of their age? One of the  most absurd backwards things I have heard. It is exactly everyone else besides Trads, who are a products of their age. It is 98% of the world who are not religious at all, that are products of their age. It is many "conservative" Catholics who hold the faith on Sunday, but a product of popular culture the rest of the time. These same people follow every new theology that some paperback theologians come up with every decade or so. Not to mention that others paint Trads as culturally backwards because they hold to modest dress, manners, and the fashions of the "old" world.

Trads  have minds that are unhinged, off the rails, sick.? Are you living on planet Earth? Go outside and meet the world. Walk around a bit on the street, watch TV, and then you will see who is really sick and has an unhinged mind.

(12-16-2009, 11:44 PM)anthony Wrote: But who can be? No, really, I mean it? There is so much uncertainty. The only certainty is to cling to Holy Mother Church the best one knows how..
There is no uncertainty when it comes to the Catholic faith. The faith is eternal, timeless, and never ever changes. God has given every human being the opportunity to learn the faith. Holy Mother  Church guides and protects the faith. However, there is the Church, and then there are the individuals of the Church. The individuals of the Church(clergy, hierarchy) can loose their way and fall into error. A Catholic then sticks with the eternal faith of the centuries. Hierarchies in the Church have fallen many times in the history of the Church. It happens every couple of centuries.