Fr. Z sees red and does black deeds against Bishop Williamson
(12-17-2009, 12:23 PM)Dust Wrote:
(12-17-2009, 01:56 AM)Baskerville Wrote: To read Bishop Williamson with suspicion is to read the traditional teachings of the Church with suspicion. In all the things I've read from Bsp W he is firmly in line with trad teachings that go back thousands of years. The same can not be said of Fr. Z who leans modernist.
???
Do we have a cult of personality going here?  He may be a bishop, but he's not the pope and cannot speak infallibly...

First of all, Dust, if you know anything about Bishop Williamson, you know that he does indeed have a personality cult, just as Bishop Sheen did, and Cardinal Ratzinger, and Karol Wojtyla, and on, and on, and on.  Oh and trust me, Fr. Z's personality cult is nothing to laugh at (or maybe it is?)  The following

Quote:Even if he's well in line with the Traditional teachings of the Church, this does not mean we can take everything that comes from him as dogma.  Are you really equating this one man with thousands of years of Tradition?

can obviously apply to every man on the above list.

So don't be so surprised by the fact that Bishop Williamson has a personality cult.  There's a lot of people who get satisfaction from the fact that he does because they think it proves that the people who listen to what he says don't think too critically.  I hope you're not one of those people.

Second, Baskerville's statement is completely accurate.  I've listened to a lot of Bishop Williamson's words and read a bit of his writings.  I've never found anything objectionable to my sense of the Faith (I found him objectionable on other matters, but that's not what we're talking about).

On the other hand... Wojtyla, Ratzinger, yes, even Sheen (though very rarely) have offended my sense of the Faith.  And just in case you wonder, it happened BEFORE I ever read anything written by SSPX clerics.

I make no secret about the fact that I like Bishops Williamson, Ratzinger, and Sheen.  And perhaps at times I listen to them all with the undue credulity of a personality cultist, but what does any of that have to do with Williamson's, IMO, impeccable orthodoxy?  Not a thing.  If he ever says anything contrary to the teaching of the Church, I certainly won't excuse him because I think he's one of the coolest bishops in modern times!  Just as I haven't excused Ratzinger, Wojtyla, or Sheen.  And I won't excuse Fr. Z either.

What's your point?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Fr. Z sees red and does black deeds against Bishop Williamson - by Zakhur - 12-17-2009, 11:16 PM