Question about greeting
(12-17-2009, 08:34 PM)LoveJLove Wrote: Greetings to all! :)
Hello, I was wondering about something and went to the archives but couldn’t find anything about it and so I thought I’d ask here if you all don’t mind. Okay for several months now, just before Mass begins, the lector goes up and greets everyone and then asks everyone to “turn to each other and greet each other in the spirit of brotherly love” etc… something like that.  And so I was wondering if this is going on in the other parishes around the nation, world, etc…
I don’t want to sound snobby or anything but this totally annoys me.  I live in a small town and pretty much get along with everyone and on any other day I have no trouble striking up conversation and such. I very much enjoy being around people, but this greeting thing totally annoys me as it interrupts my preparing myself for Mass. 
Is this a normal thing in other parishes?  Hmmm perhaps I just need to learn to adjust, perhaps I am being a little selfish…
Well, thanks for reading this….
May God bless you and all your loved ones
:pazzo: :)
LoveJLove
Unfortunately, it's not isolated. They used to do that at my former NO parish.

It's like having TWO Signs of Peace. And the thing is.... half the people aren't there anyway yet - they'll generally be done trickling in just in time for the homily.....
That is a strange addition, never heard of it before now.  [subtle hint] Is there a Latin Mass in your area? I promise you won't have to sit through any of that: just the Mass, no nonsense. [/subtle hint]
Greetings thanks for responding SoCall!
Dear Anastasia, to answer your question, no. Unfortunately, I have never lived in an area that has a Latin Mass.  I’ve desired to go for the longest time.
The biggest city closest to me is Corpus Christi, Texas which is around ninety miles from here and as far as I know there is none available there.  But it sure would be nice to sit through without the nonsense as you said hehe.  Thanks for responding!
:) :) :)
it happens more places than you think... I personally have attended at least 6 parishes that do it.  My family's former church continues to do it despite a very plain rejection from the people in a poll about it.

I guess seeing it before mass at college fits perfectly with the rest of the mass (constant talking, no kneeling whatsoever, etc.).  very very annoying indeed.
(12-17-2009, 10:11 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote:
(12-17-2009, 08:34 PM)LoveJLove Wrote: Greetings to all! :)
Hello, I was wondering about something and went to the archives but couldn’t find anything about it and so I thought I’d ask here if you all don’t mind. Okay for several months now, just before Mass begins, the lector goes up and greets everyone and then asks everyone to “turn to each other and greet each other in the spirit of brotherly love” etc… something like that.  And so I was wondering if this is going on in the other parishes around the nation, world, etc…
I don’t want to sound snobby or anything but this totally annoys me.  I live in a small town and pretty much get along with everyone and on any other day I have no trouble striking up conversation and such. I very much enjoy being around people, but this greeting thing totally annoys me as it interrupts my preparing myself for Mass. 
Is this a normal thing in other parishes?  Hmmm perhaps I just need to learn to adjust, perhaps I am being a little selfish…
Well, thanks for reading this….
May God bless you and all your loved ones
:pazzo: :)
LoveJLove
Unfortunately, it's not isolated. They used to do that at my former NO parish.

It's like having TWO Signs of Peace. And the thing is.... half the people aren't there anyway yet - they'll generally be done trickling in just in time for the homily.....

In RCIA, it was explained as a time to put aside any grievances at the beginning of Mass. They claimed that this was the way it was done in the past. More supposed antiquarianism.
This same thing goes on at the parishes in NW Arkansas; the lector goes up, does as the OP mentioned, covers some announcements, and then leaves.  Quite annoying, indeed.

If you're South of Corpus Christi, there should be a TLM in Pharr - St Jude Thaddeus Church 505 S. Ironwood
Sun 8 am
Pho (956) 781-2489
Diocese

In Harlingen - Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission 5325 Papaya Cir
3rd Sun 2:30 pm
Pho (281) 337-2508
SSPX

In C.C., there's these: Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Mission Ramada Inn, 601 N. Shoreline Rd
3rd Sunday 4:30pm
Pho (361) 854-8176
SSPX

78407 - CORPUS CHRISTI - Our Lady of Corpus Christi Adoration Chapel 1200 Lantana Street
Sun 10 am
Pho (361) 446-1967
Diocese (Fr Carlos Casavantes FSSP)

78411 - CORPUS CHRISTI - Mount Carmel Nursing Home 4103 S Alameda Street
Weekdays 8 am except Fri 5:20 pm
Pho (361) 446-1967
Diocese (Fr Carlos Casavantes FSSP)

78414 - CORPUS CHRISTI - St. Helena of The True Cross Church 7436 Wooldridge Rd.
Sun 09:00 AM
Pho (361) 994-8783
Diocese

In the Archdiocese of San Antonio:
- St Pius X Parish 3909 Harry Wurzbach Hwy
Sun 12 pm
Wed 7 am, 1st Fri 8 am, Sat 8 am
Pho (210) 824-0139
Diocese

78213 - SAN ANTONIO - St. Joseph Church 7815 Orland Park
Sun 7:30 & 10 am
Sat 6 pm
Pho (210) 525-0334
SSPX (Fr Zigrang)

78223 -SAN ANTONIO- HOLY NAME CHURCH 3814 NASH BLVD.
(210) 333-5020
Weekly Mass Schedule
Sunday: 7:00am
Daily: 6.30 am
Members of the Society of Jesus Christ the Priest. Diocese

75633 - CARTHAGE - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Chapel 426 County Rd. 152
1st Sun 6 pm
Pho (903) 693-3444
SSPX

77373 - SPRING - St. Michael the Archangel Roman Catholic Chapel 24001 Aldine Westfield Rd
Sun 4 pm
Pho (281) 376-5845
SSPX (Fr Simonot)

77539 - DICKINSON - Queen of Angels Church 4100 Hwy. 3
Sun 7 am, 9 am, A0:30 am
Weekdays 6 am & 7:20 am
Pho (281) 337-2508
SSPX (Fr Cooper, Fr Post, Fr Stanich & Fr Zigrang)

There's also several in Houston, and Shiner as well, according to WikkiMissa http://honneurs.free.fr/Wikini/wakka.php?wiki=TexaS

If you're out West, towards Laredo, you're pretty much out of luck, unfortunately.

(12-17-2009, 09:47 PM)LoveJLove Wrote: perhaps you would be kind enough to show me the way to the “reverent novus ordo crowd” forum. 

Enjoy the evening!
:) :)

:laughing:  good one!
(12-18-2009, 12:09 AM)legendofheasty Wrote: it happens more places than you think... I personally have attended at least 6 parishes that do it.  My family's former church continues to do it despite a very plain rejection from the people in a poll about it.

Where's Rosarium to remind us all of the futility and inaccuracy of polls?  ;)
What Texican said!

Lots of choices
(12-18-2009, 01:26 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: What Texican said!

Lots of choices

Sorry to steal your thunder, Scip.
(12-18-2009, 01:08 AM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(12-18-2009, 12:09 AM)legendofheasty Wrote: it happens more places than you think... I personally have attended at least 6 parishes that do it.  My family's former church continues to do it despite a very plain rejection from the people in a poll about it.

Where's Rosarium to remind us all of the futility and inaccuracy of polls?  ;)

My focus of pollish derision is on Internet polls, which have such limited meaning at the very best that they are generally useless.

A well designed poll which can be more carefully controlled has meaning as much as the data is reflective of reality.