Question about greeting
I don't remember ever doing that. I've only been to a NO a few times but I do remember that we always got there before most other folks to get to the front pew - and usually left somewhere in the middle of the service due to something ridiculous happening.

There ya have it - get in and out before everyone and you won't need to worry about greeting loving strangers. 
(12-19-2009, 10:53 AM)glgas Wrote:
(12-19-2009, 10:07 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: I've only seen this "greeting at the beginning of Mass" foolishness once or twice, but what I see (or saw, before finding a decent parish) everywhere now is the 5 minute "warmup" by the lector....announcements, intentions for the Mass, etc., plus, the  :censored: :censored: Kumbaya choir wants the congregation to "practice" a coupla verses of "This Little Light of Mine" or some other Protestant BS.

For God's sake, lea' me alone to say a rosary, will ya?  That's the way to prepare for Mass.

In the traditional dark ages (time of St Gregory the Great and like)  there was no Rosary, but there was a parade like process to the Mass.

Tempora mutantur, and we mutamur in illis.

In the later Middle Ages, at least, Matins and Lauds were very well-attended by the lay faithful before Sunday Mass. Unfortunately, the morning Office is extinct among even hardcore Catholics.
(12-17-2009, 09:18 PM)BrendanD Wrote: Is this still a trad forum or has the reverent novus ordo crowd totally taken over?

Well, I have a foot in both camps.  We can't make it to to TLM very often, but we have been lucky to find a non-Protestant NO parish.  Our Mass is Latin, with a real altar, priest has his back to the people, Gregorian chant, Communion kneeling at the altar rail, and not an EMHC in sight.  Just as important, the pastor gets it....this is a guy you'd be proud to say is your priest....no wishy-washy homilies...he's as hard-core as you could ask for.

The NO is still, generally, a steaming mound of nondenominational self-worship.