Sunday roast chicken
Usually if I'm cooking roast chicken, I do two of them at a time. I found this recipe on the web so I'm going to double it. That's what I'm doing today. It's a little different from what I usually do. Usually I just salt them and baste throughout the cooking with a mixture of drippings, chicken bouillon and water from the pan. Then towards the end of the roasting, I sprinkle the herbs on top. Paprika, parsley... How do you all roast your chicken?

Sunday Roast Chicken

Ingredients:

1 whole broiler-fryer chicken
3 Tablespoons vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon basil
1 clove garlic, minced
12 ounces fresh mushrooms

Directions:

1. In a small saucepan, mix together the vinegar, olive oil, butter, lemon juice, seasoned salt, thyme, basil, and garlic. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil, stirring.

2. Remove from heat, dip mushrooms in sauce and set aside.

3. Dip whole chicken in sauce, turning to coat well.

4. Place chicken on a rack in roasting pan, breast side down.

5. Roast in 375 ° F oven, basting with sauce every 20 minutes, until chicken is brown and fork can be inserted with ease (about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours).

6. Add the mushrooms to the pan during the last 20 minutes of roasting time.

"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
I do it a couple of different ways:

- Sometimes I stuff with herbs de Provence and sprinkle the same, garlic, salt, and pepper on top.  Roast and baste as above.

- Sometimes I use rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper. 

With both I'll put diced veggies beneath the chicken and roast @ 375.

Another option:
Stuff the cavity with lemons, garlic cloves, and oregano.  Slit the skin and put whole oregano leaves underneath.  Rub exterior of the chicken with lemon juice and olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic.  Please potatoes beneath.  Roast basting every 10-15 minutes with a mixture of the herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, and chicken broth.  This is a REALLY moist chicken.  I roast it for 15 minutes at 450, then drop the temp to 350 until it's done.

Typing this, I just realized how much garlic I use . . .  wow . . .
(12-20-2009, 07:24 AM)Fontevrault Wrote: Typing this, I just realized how much garlic I use . . .  wow . . .
That's a sign of a GOOD cook, IMO  :eats:
Next time you're in Colorado, come on by.  I'll cook and you can join Pilgrim and I for a family dinner. :)
(12-20-2009, 07:24 AM)Fontevrault Wrote: Another option:
Stuff the cavity with lemons, garlic cloves, and oregano.  Slit the skin and put whole oregano leaves underneath.  Rub exterior of the chicken with lemon juice and olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic.  Please potatoes beneath.  Roast basting every 10-15 minutes with a mixture of the herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, and chicken broth.  This is a REALLY moist chicken.  I roast it for 15 minutes at 450, then drop the temp to 350 until it's done.

What is your preferred method?  ...jk    :P

We (actually Scipio) usually just rub the chicken with extra light olive oil, season (we use a herb/sea salt mix), then put it on the grill or on the broiler pan in oven.  No basting required.  Chicken is golden brown with crispy skin, and so moist it can be easily pulled apart.  Yum.

Here's the stuff we use, which we buy at Target:
[Image: 1701-2T.jpg]
http://www.theartofspice.com/
Sorry about the typo.  I meant cut wedges of potato and place beneath.  My mom called me at 2 am this morning because my flight to go see her was canceled. . .  I guess I'm groggy.

:)
(12-20-2009, 02:25 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: Sorry about the typo.  I meant cut wedges of potato and place beneath.  My mom called me at 2 am this morning because my flight to go see her was canceled. . .  I guess I'm groggy.

:)

That's ok.  There's nothing wrong with wanting happy potatoes...happy food = happy family  :laughing: