Elephants in Orissa Attack Exactly One Year After Persecutions
(12-20-2009, 06:03 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(12-20-2009, 05:47 PM)Walty Wrote: This is possibly the coolest thing I've ever read.

There's nothing cool about anthropomorphizing brutes, Walty.  Nothing at all.

How do you know it's not something more?
(12-20-2009, 06:36 PM)Walty Wrote:
(12-20-2009, 05:47 PM)Walty Wrote: This is possibly the coolest thing I've ever read.

You've got me there, Walty.  Maybe animals really are self-aware.  Maybe creatures that do not possess rational souls really are capable of love and hate and vengeance.  And maybe a fat pagan really does climb down the chimney of stately Bombay Manor each Christmas Eve delivering me presents.  I guess whatever is not impossible is possible. 
Well I knew a hondu frpom sri lana. He was tamil. From the mountains in the middle tea plantatipon people braught over by the brits then when the brits left screwed! Anyhoo he told me cobras remember a wrong and keep a grudge. He did something bad to one and lived as a teen but the evil creature by his scent was bale to find him. The cobra in question was identifioed from what rahada (shortr form of his ridiculous long name) injured it and when the evil sloimey beast showed up promty killed it.
What in the heck is a "hondu"?  Could it be a modified honda?  ???
And what is a "plantatipon"  ??? ???
And is "identifioed" some new trick way of identifying some person, place, or thing? Perhaps using DNA testing or something?
And lastly, are you an english or grammer teacher?  Perhaps at the college level?
Wow.
(12-20-2009, 11:11 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: What in the heck is a "hondu"?  Could it be a modified honda?  ???
And what is a "plantatipon"  ??? ???
And is "identifioed" some new trick way of identifying some person, place, or thing? Perhaps using DNA testing or something?
And lastly, are you an english or grammer teacher?  Perhaps at the college level?

i liked the "sloimey beast" myself, although snakes are not "sloimey" at all.  or "slimy," either.
While we should approach this report with due skepticism, it is not wholly superstitious to believe that God may work miracles through beasts. In Scripture, I recall a few instances in which God is said to have dispatched beasts of various sorts as punishment, as in 2 Kings 17:26:

Quote:And it was told the king of the Assyrians, and it was said: The nations which thou hast removed, and made to dwell in the cities of Samaria, know not the ordinances of the God of the land: and the Lord hath sent lions among them: and behold they kill them, because they know not the manner of the God of the land.

Unfortunately, I do not remember any instances of God sending animals as punishment in later Christian writings or hagiography. Most of the animal miracles reported in the time of the Church seem to be of a rather different nature, of miraculous passivity or gentleness, just as God preserved Daniel in the den of lions. Quite a few early martyrs were similarly preserved from lions, or bears, or wolves, necessitating that the persecutors employ other methods.

In St. Jerome's hagiography of St. Paul the First Hermit, two lions attend the burial of the saint. Just as a raven preserved Elijah, the same St. Paul was nourished in the Egyptian desert by a raven bringing a half-loaf of bread every day for sixty years. Writings about great saints and martyrs also give report of God sending animals to protect the bodies of His saints: St. Edmund the Martyr, King of the East Angles, was beheaded by the Vikings, and God is said to have sent a wolf to protect the head, which the murderers hid in the forest, until the people of the land arrived to recover it for burial.
(12-20-2009, 11:11 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: And lastly, are you an english or grammer teacher?  Perhaps at the college level?

He's typing on a blackberry.

As for the link, I didn't read the article yet, but those elephants look like African Elephants... The ears, backs and trunks are all African. They wouldn't be found in India.

Cubs and protective mothers probably don't take part in stampedes either. They are too slow.
Dr. Bombay,

Only a cowardly lion fights with straw men.  *No one* is saying that these animals are conscious or have souls!  They're saying that God is driving these elephants against the persecutors.  God does this sort of thing so it's not superstitious to suggest or claim that this is what's happening here.  Uh, you ever heard of the two she-bears that killed the youths who mocked Elisha?  Or the plagues of locusts and frogs?  Or Jonah and the whale?  So spare us your over-wrought complaints.  If the reports are accurate, this is indeed one of the coolest things in the world right now. 
(12-20-2009, 06:42 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(12-20-2009, 06:36 PM)Walty Wrote:

You've got me there, Walty.  Maybe animals really are self-aware.  Maybe creatures that do not possess rational souls really are capable of love and hate and vengeance.  And maybe a fat pagan really does climb down the chimney of stately Bombay Manor each Christmas Eve delivering me presents.  I guess whatever is not impossible is possible. 

I wouldn't guess that the elephants knew what they were doing but perhaps were used (as a part of the natural world) as a sort of natural disaster with which God levels some justice on these murderers.