Elephants in Orissa Attack Exactly One Year After Persecutions
Why did the elephants attack? There must be some sort of explanation, what with the little ones scouting the place out first. That's so strange.

Why did the birds attack in Hitchcock's film? What does it all mean? I've often wondered about that.

Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(12-21-2009, 02:55 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(12-20-2009, 11:11 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: And lastly, are you an english or grammer teacher?  Perhaps at the college level?

He's typing on a blackberry.

As for the link, I didn't read the article yet, but those elephants look like African Elephants... The ears, backs and trunks are all African. They wouldn't be found in India.

Cubs and protective mothers probably don't take part in stampedes either. They are too slow.

they couldn't release the photos of the actual elephants until they've been tried and convicted.

or, more likely, nobody has volunteered to stand in front of a herd of elephants bent on destruction to take photos.  so they used a stock photo.

(12-21-2009, 09:32 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: they couldn't release the photos of the actual elephants until they've been tried and convicted.

or, more likely, nobody has volunteered to stand in front of a herd of elephants bent on destruction to take photos.  so they used a stock photo.

In this case the honesty would require not to post fake photos.
Anyone who gang rapes a nun deserves to be painfully trampled to death by an elephant.
(12-21-2009, 03:39 AM)Bonifacius Wrote: Dr. Bombay,

Only a cowardly lion fights with straw men.  *No one* is saying that these animals are conscious or have souls!  They're saying that God is driving these elephants against the persecutors.  God does this sort of thing so it's not superstitious to suggest or claim that this is what's happening here.  Uh, you ever heard of the two she-bears that killed the youths who mocked Elisha?  Or the plagues of locusts and frogs?  Or Jonah and the whale?  So spare us your over-wrought complaints.  If the reports are accurate, this is indeed one of the coolest things in the world right now. 

Holy Scripture is indeed accurate.  Vague reports on the internet, not so much.  Not only is it superstitious, it's hysterical as well.  Better not hurt a Christian or God will send rampaging elephants after you.  What?  It is perverse theology.  God does not require elephants to execute his will.  You see, God doesn't really get angry or experience any other emotion.  That's just a literary device.

Try not to get over-wrought.  They really are just brutes....really...
(12-21-2009, 09:32 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: they couldn't release the photos of the actual elephants until they've been tried and convicted.

True; I did not expect actual footage from the attacks, but I wouldn't expect a prominently displayed picture to display creatures which would not live in that area at all. If there is an article on a Pit Bull attack on a child in a city, I do not think a giant photo of a Great Dane is necessary (note: at least Pit Bulls and Great Danes are the same species).

They could have taken a stock photo of Indian elephants, the aftermath of an attack or a map of the area.
Dr, Bombay:

Your quote: "You see, God doesn't really get angry or experience any other emotion"
Please tell the money changers in the temple that.  Have you also missed the entire old testament? 

Lets just look at anger - here's a small sampling....
Judges 2:12, 2:14
Kings 11:6
Kings IV 23:26
Psalms 2:5
Jeremiah 2:3
and a very angry Malachi 2:3 -I suggest you read this one.

God has used the animals in His Divine Providence so many times it is laughable, yes laughable, to say that this is superstitious.  I'd leave that up to those who have the jurisdiction to make a proclamation of that sort.  Time for another read of Heliotropium, eh?

(12-21-2009, 01:16 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

True; I did not expect actual footage from the attacks, but I wouldn't expect a prominently displayed picture to display creatures which would not live in that area at all. If there is an article on a Pit Bull attack on a child in a city, I do not think a giant photo of a Great Dane is necessary (note: at least Pit Bulls and Great Danes are the same species).

They could have taken a stock photo of Indian elephants, the aftermath of an attack or a map of the area.

have you double-checked that those aren't Indian elephants?  i haven't and can't now, must leave for doctor's appt and am running late, like the white rabbit.  i was watching a tv program about . . . elephants!

(12-21-2009, 02:50 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(12-21-2009, 01:16 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

have you double-checked that those aren't Indian elephants?  i haven't and can't now, must leave for doctor's appt and am running late, like the white rabbit.  i was watching a tv program about . . . elephants!

Indian elephants ears are smaller.  African elephants have larger ears.
(12-21-2009, 01:10 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(12-21-2009, 03:39 AM)Bonifacius Wrote: Dr. Bombay,

Only a cowardly lion fights with straw men.  *No one* is saying that these animals are conscious or have souls!  They're saying that God is driving these elephants against the persecutors.  God does this sort of thing so it's not superstitious to suggest or claim that this is what's happening here.  Uh, you ever heard of the two she-bears that killed the youths who mocked Elisha?  Or the plagues of locusts and frogs?  Or Jonah and the whale?  So spare us your over-wrought complaints.  If the reports are accurate, this is indeed one of the coolest things in the world right now. 

Holy Scripture is indeed accurate.  Vague reports on the internet, not so much.  Not only is it superstitious, it's hysterical as well.  Better not hurt a Christian or God will send rampaging elephants after you.  What?  It is perverse theology.  God does not require elephants to execute his will.  You see, God doesn't really get angry or experience any other emotion.  That's just a literary device.

Try not to get over-wrought.  They really are just brutes....really...

But he didn't say a word about God being angry or requiring elephants to execute his will.  How many must have said the same words about the Flood, plagues of locusts & frogs, Jonah's whale, earthquakes etc.  And surely these were mentioned in Scripture while this is internet news reporting, but are we only to believe what is reported to us via Scripture?  How about the million true things reported on the internet daily?  The point was that God has and does use natural phenomenon (animals included) in order to affect change or bring about justice in the world. 

You might as well begin saying that it is superstitious to believe that locusts really attacked the Egyptians or that those she-bears really attacked the children who mocked Elisha.  Certainly they were really just brutes... try not to get over-wrought.

This article may or may not be factual. It may or may not be superstitious (in the sense that it puts faith into a perhaps false spiritual answer to a question that may be more easily explained by something more mundane), however your reasons for condemning the validity of the story are all bunk.