Concerning Lay Preaching and Such
(12-29-2009, 08:04 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(12-29-2009, 06:46 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: Peter, Andrew, James and John, were all fishermen from Capernaum. That's some very good company right there.  :)

They were 1) clergy, and 2) endowed with special gifts to preach and convert by virtue of Pentecost.  The rest of us need to worry about our abilities, education, and prudence.

Which is why Protestants make me nuts.  Beating someone with a Bible and quoting Scripture at them is not how the Apostles converted people.  The Apostles converted people by their Christian Charity, their love of neighbor, their examples, etc.  You don't have to be book smart to do this; you just need to be a good Catholic.  People will remember a kind act long after a Bible verse is forgotten, and if you make it known your acts of kindness are out of love for Christ, people will remember Him, too.

The sad truth of the matter is that the free day care at Protestant mega-churches probably convert more people than Bible Zingers.  That day care gets the butts in the Protty Pew to hear the heretical indoctrination lesson, and, after all these people must be the real Christians - look how nice they are!

Grumpy old trads better learn to be happy old trads filled with the joy of being Catholic and kind words and acts for their neighbors or all the scripture memorization and apologetics training will get you nowhere.  There's a reason the Mormons send out nice clean cut lads in black ties and with polite manners - it works.

Bl. Teresa of Calcutta and Saint Thomas were both great Catholics, but Bl. Teresa probably got more people interested in the Church.  St. Thomas, however, taught them what they needed to know when they got there.  Both are important, but the approach is different for both as well.  Christ is all these things, but we are not Christ.  It would be very difficult to be all at once as He is.  Go with your gifts and what you know.  If you don't have a Doctorate in Theology, work at a soup kitchen and interest people in the Church so the theological pinheads can teach them the nuances of transubstantiation (and I say that with a great love for St. Thomas).

What I'm trying to say is we need to be realistic about our abilities, look at what gifts we have - because we all have gifts, and use them.  Bl. Teresa could not be St. Thomas, and St. Thomas could not be Bl. Teresa.  God loves them both, and they both served God.

Yes, but even the clergy can be wrong, as you know.

I honestly don't think one needs to go much beyond the bible and catechism to debate these Prots most times. At least that's been my experience. And always the disclaimer that , "I can be wrong" is necessary.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Quis, have you visited some of the Protestant debate forums? Give yourself three visits to CARM and then see if you what you think.  ;) I'm all for being nice, but these people are beyond being moved by charity, frothing at the mouth obsessed with their hatred of Catholicism. They derive pleasure from hating the Church. So, in charity they need to be refuted lest others read their lies and become infected with deceptive ideas about our Holy Mother Church. Somebody's got to do it, and few are stepping up to the plate. I believe souls are at stake, seriously.

Edited to add: like I said before, I will talk to a priest about all this when I have the opportunity.  :P
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

(12-29-2009, 08:50 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: Quis, have you visited some of the Protestant debate forums? Give yourself three visits to CARM and then see if you what you think.  ;) I'm all for being nice, but these people are beyond being moved by charity, frothing at the mouth obsessed with their hatred of Catholicism. They derive pleasure from hating the Church. So, in charity they need to be refuted lest others read their lies and become infected with deceptive ideas about our Holy Mother Church. Somebody's got to do it, and few are stepping up to the plate. I believe souls are at stake, seriously.

Edited to add: like I said before, I will talk to a priest about all this when I have the opportunity.  :P

Well, as already stated, I don't engage in public debates with heretics, and I'm not an apologist.  So, I wouldn't be much use there.  My experience with Catholic-haters has been to be a kind person and when they find out I am Catholic they don't hate us quite so much, and sometimes they show interest in it especially the fact that I go to Mass like they show in the movies (did you ever notice all the Catholic Masses in movies are TLMs?).  Being a metalhead, I find that approach comes in handy with the Satanic contingent.  I often hear "You're like no Catholic I ever met.  And you go to a Latin Mass?!?"  Yeah, and I'm not afeared of that stupid pentagram on your t-shirt either.  Go scare some Southern Baptists....

In fact I often get along better with non-Catholics than Catholics of the EWTN-esque variety.  At least the Satanists don't tell me I'm a bad schismatic Catholic :laughing:  Well, except for one ex-Satanist turned trad turned Neo-Catholic apologist.  But he was probably a nicer guy when he was a Satanist and before he started drinking the Stubenville Kool-Aid; unfortunately I only ran into him after the imbibing.
(12-29-2009, 09:49 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(12-29-2009, 08:50 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: Quis, have you visited some of the Protestant debate forums? Give yourself three visits to CARM and then see if you what you think.  ;) I'm all for being nice, but these people are beyond being moved by charity, frothing at the mouth obsessed with their hatred of Catholicism. They derive pleasure from hating the Church. So, in charity they need to be refuted lest others read their lies and become infected with deceptive ideas about our Holy Mother Church. Somebody's got to do it, and few are stepping up to the plate. I believe souls are at stake, seriously.

Well, as already stated, I don't engage in public debates with heretics, and I'm not an apologist.  So, I wouldn't be much use there.  My experience with Catholic-haters has been to be a kind person and when they find out I am Catholic they don't hate us quite so much, and sometimes they show interest in it especially the fact that I go to Mass like they show in the movies (did you ever notice all the Catholic Masses in movies are TLMs?).  Being a metalhead, I find that approach comes in handy with the Satanic contingent.  I often hear "You're like no Catholic I ever met.  And you go to a Latin Mass?!?"  Yeah, and I'm not afeared of that stupid pentagram on your t-shirt either.  Go scare some Southern Baptists....

In fact I often get along better with non-Catholics than Catholics of the EWTN-esque variety.  At least the Satanists don't tell me I'm a bad schismatic Catholic :laughing:  Well, except for one ex-Satanist turned trad turned Neo-Catholic apologist.   But he was probably a nicer guy when he was a Satanist and before he started drinking the Stubenville Kool-Aid; unfortunately I only ran into him after the imbibing.

Catholic Masses in movies are TLMs because most were filmed pre VII, back when Hollywood had a some iota of respect for the Church.

On the whole, I'd venture to say that most of the Catholics posting over at CARM are most often charitable, although it's not as often reciprocated. Anyway, the attacks usually aren't of a personal nature, they're more often attacks against the Faith.

An ex-Satanist turned trad turned Neo-Catholic apologist, you say? Well, that is a trip.  :laughing: Give him time, perhaps he just needs time.

In fact I often get along better with non-Catholics than Catholics of the EWTN-esque variety.  At least the Satanists don't tell me I'm a bad schismatic Catholic :laughing:  Well, except for one ex-Satanist turned trad turned Neo-Catholic apologist.   But he was probably a nicer guy when he was a Satanist and before he started drinking the Stubenville Kool-Aid; unfortunately I only ran into him after the imbibing.

:laughing: :laughing: :tiphat:

If i were asked what keeps me coming to the Fishtank as much as I do I would point to everything Quis posted above and say this is the best catholic OPINION publication on the Net hands down.
Well played Dear Quis, your humility is apparent but my admiriation for you and your website just grows daily. You deserve a webby IMO.
(12-29-2009, 10:27 AM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote:

:laughing: :laughing: :tiphat:

If i were asked what keeps me coming to the Fishtank as much as I do I would point to everything Quis posted above and say this is the best catholic OPINION publication on the Net hands down.
Well played Dear Quis, your humility is apparent but my admiriation for you and your website just grows daily. You deserve a webby IMO.

See now all this time I thought you were coming to hear what I had to say!  ;)

Edited to add: don't go giving him a swelled head.

Actually I only come here to see DKnuckles fall of his barstool! lol ;D
(my apologies)
(12-29-2009, 12:16 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(12-29-2009, 09:49 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: In fact I often get along better with non-Catholics than Catholics of the EWTN-esque variety.  At least the Satanists don't tell me I'm a bad schismatic Catholic :laughing:  Well, except for one ex-Satanist turned trad turned Neo-Catholic apologist.   But he was probably a nicer guy when he was a Satanist and before he started drinking the Stubenville Kool-Aid; unfortunately I only ran into him after the imbibing.

Quis, how could you expect anyone to respond seriously to such blatant insults?

Well, I'm not Quis, but Conservative Catholics often bash traditionalists. It's not an insult, just a fact. Perhaps sometimes traditionalists even deserve it. Same goes for the other way around, it's unfortunate but the sorry truth of it.