Concerning Lay Preaching and Such
(12-28-2009, 11:52 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(12-28-2009, 07:17 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: Fr. Groeschel is far too guilty of relativism when it comes to world religions. And he really, really gets under my skin when he goes on about the Jews and the Protestants and the Hindus and Muslims all being good people of faith, blah, blah, blah. Did he apologize for that?!?!?

I have to defend Fr. Groeschel. He grew up in The Bronx in a multi-cultural, interreligious neighbhorhood. He knows that good exists in people of other religions, but I don't really see him pushing relativism as much as religious tolerance and understanding. I agree with what Vox Clamantis wrote on this website. It's found on the page "Sibyls."

Quote: These women, albeit shrouded in mystery and wonderful, fantastical tales, remind us that the Church teaches that actual grace and the natural virtues exist outside of Her, and that Christians are to honor Truth no matter whence it comes in the temporal realm. That the majority of Church Fathers adopted a form of Platonism, considering the philosopher an ally against naturalism and materialism, that St. Thomas Aquinas and the Scholastics who followed used the Truths spoken by Aristotle for the same, that medieval Catholic civilization revered the "Nine Worthies" 5 -- three of whom were pagan -- as the embodiment of chivalry -- these things remind us that arrogance and spiritual pride have no place in a Catholic's life. While there is an "us" and a "them" with regard to sanctifying grace, there is no "us" and "them" with regard to actual grace and the natural virtues. Further, we can't presume to know who's been blessed by sanctifying grace -- i.e., we can't know who the "them" is in that regard; we can only know who is formally outside of the Church and, therefore, whom we need to evangelize -- in all charity and prudence -- and pray for.

Treat all men with charity, honor Truth wherever it is, and live a deeply Catholic life. "Spread the Gospel and let God sort 'em out." Aside from fighting to restore honor for Christ's Kingship with regard to civil law, this is all we can do.

I think Fr. Groeschel just sees the natural good in other people. Most people of other religions DO act in good faith and there's nothing wrong with admitting that while finding ways of evangelizing. Fr. Groeschel has his own way of evangelizing non-Catholics. When speaking to Catholics, however, he doesn't pussyfoot around with faith and morals. I remember one particular show in which he called a certain mortal sin a mortal sin and admonished those guilty of it to get off their keesters and get to confession. I was convicted on the spot.. and the next day went flying to the confessional in tears!!

- Lisa
I grew up in an area with many Protestants and Jews. I had and still have plenty of friends and acquaintances who are non-Catholic, Jews, Protestants and some atheists.

Tolerance in a social or societal setting is one thing but when the conversation delves into the area of religion, I think it's very prudent to watch one's step. As Catholics, we should NEVER give the impression that the Holy Catholic Church is but another religion and as good as another. I don't see that he does his. I don't. On the contrary, I think he gives the impression that because the Jews and the Protestants are good people, and because they're worshiping God in the best way they know how, then it's all okay and no need to try and convert them.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by Credo - 12-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by glgas - 12-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by glgas - 12-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by JacafamalaRedux - 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by JayneK - 12-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by JayneK - 12-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 01-02-2010, 12:55 PM