Concerning Lay Preaching and Such
(12-27-2009, 03:17 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(12-26-2009, 11:58 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Again I agree. I would NOT want to see Scott Hahn, Mark Shea, Patrick Madrid, Jimmy Akin, Johnette Benkovic, Rosalind Moss or Tim Staples (especially Tim Staples!!) out of a job. I know some here WOULD like to see them without a job, but not me.

I want them to have jobs, but not exactly what they are doing.  :laughing:

Quote:They are excellent apologists, mainly Bible apologists who come head to head with Protestants. Perhaps they DO have permission from their bishops. I don't really know how it works, but outside of Dr. Scott Hahn, I'm not sure if the others are theolgians. In their absence, we would have Frs. Mitch Pacwa, Benedict Groeschel, Andrew Apostoli, John Trigilio and John Corapi on the air waves. These priests are preachers, teachers, and theologians, but none of them are apologists (that I am aware of). We need apologists, especially today, and if priests can't/won't take the challenge then I am grateful for the educated laymen who do.

I don't want to start bashing people, some of whom I believe to be working out of love for Christ, but I will say I don't think they are the most intellectually honest bunch of people around.  For example, Jimmy Akin, I believe, claimed that JP2 kissed the koran because he didn't know what it was.  I mean, come on...

At the very least, these people should get STLs and report to a bishop or assigned priest.

I already hear murmurs of "What about you Quis? Aren't you being hypocritical with the website and forum?"  Well, maybe.

But here's my defense.  This is why I don't blog and post what I think on a forum instead.  People can call me on my opinion, and offer correction and other points of view.  I'm not speaking from a virtual "pulpit".  I mean, sure, it's tempting to spew my thoughts from a blog because I like hearing myself talk, but that gets too close to preaching for me to feel comfortable.  Here, it is more discussion and there are safety mechanisms because there are lots of smart people here to catch and question either other.

The website Vox actually wrote, and she is more of an apologist than I, for sure.  But most of the website is just reference material and not commentary on morals and dogma.

When someone goes out and says "This is what the Catholic Church teaches" and does so repeatedly, and not just by reference to materials, but by presenting their opinions and conclusions as Church teaching and Church opinion from a virtual pulpit, that's when it gets sticky.

Hello, everyone, and sincere Christmas greetings in Christ to all of you.

I appreciate the opportunity to comment on a couple of things said on this thread. First, I'm glad to know that at least some of you wouldn't want to see me unemployed! My wife and children will appreciate hearing that. The funny thing is, I never had any inkling growing up that I would eventually be doing the work I'm doing. In fact, when the door first opened for me to enter the world of full-time Catholic apostolate, I (stupidly) said "no" to it and tried to do other things. But it seems that God shut those other doors pretty firmly in my face and opened the door I wound up going through. I thank Him for his patience and generosity with me.

As someone here mentioned, it would be excellent if large numbers of priests and bishops were taking up the cudgel for the Church (as many did in "the olden days"), making it unnecessary for laymen like me to do so. But as all of you know, a huge priest- and bishop-shaped vacuum existed for several decades and there was virtually no one making an effort to publicly and systematically defend the Faith in public. So, out of necessity, some of us stepped forward to try and do what we could to respond to those who attacked the Catholic Church and lured many of our Catholic brethren out of the Church. Something had to be done, and since I and a few other laymen, like Karl Keating, didn't see anyone else doing much of anything, I figured I had better do what I could.

Also, I would agree that it's vital that those who are in some way making an effort to publicly explain and defend Catholic teaching and practice, should be properly grounded and trained in the theology and history of the Church. For my part, I have tried to be as prepared as I can be in this area, and in 2010, I hope to begin either an STL or Ph.D. program in theology, having already received my training in philosophy and theology. There's always a vast amount left to learn, and  have really enjoyed the last 23 years of learning as much as I can about our Faith, but I know that there will always be much more to learn for all of us, however far we may progress in that direction. I'm reminded of St. Thomas's comment, after a vision he received shortly before his death, that everything he had written up that point (he wrote nothing afterward) was just so much "straw."

On my "Open Line" radio program carried on EWTN, I do my best to explain what the Catholic Church teaches and why, and when I don't know the answer to a question,  I say so openly. And when what I am going to express is simply my opinion, I also say that as clearly as possible. I am not sure why some would fault Catholic laymen for doing that, given the current need for public defense of the Faith.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by Credo - 12-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by glgas - 12-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by glgas - 12-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by Patrick Madrid - 12-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by JayneK - 12-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by JayneK - 12-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 01-02-2010, 12:55 PM